Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Best Flip?

N/A
57%
N/A
N/A
43%
N/A
N/A
By NearTao Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:03 pm
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:Warning issued guys

I hear you.

Clearly too late to ask for clarification... but for me the confusion was in thinking "I know what boom bap is" and "I know what a bridge is"... but not knowing if there was a deeper context to consider for a boom bap bridge. The way I applied the logic was to transition from a trap beat into a boom bap style beat using the same drums for both, instead of going back to digging for a break beat to chop up and filter like you do for more of "that sound".

Maybe there's some other subtext here that I am missing, but my take away is what it almost always is. If I have a question, it's probably better to ask than to assume, because if I have the question, then somebody else probably has it as well. Cuz now we're in the situation where people have voted (myself included), without really knowing what that rule meant. If nothing else... I suppose I feel a little foolish in hindsight.
By saltmcgault Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:19 am
Cockdiesel wrote:
Ahh well there’s always next week. Just gets discouraging when you actually spend time on this stuff and the same people are the only ones getting votes.

i try to be unbiased and non-ball fluffing when i listen and vote. i go with use of the sample/applying the rule/overall production but it all comes down to if i’m digging it. sometimes the simple beats are doper than the spectac-flipmode joints. A lot of times there’s more than 2 entries that deserve a vote. Some of my best battle entries have gotten goose egged it’s all good though.. it’s just practice. It kinda sucks winning anyways. you don’t expect it and then the next thing you know your scrambling for a sample and deciding on a rule that everybody will get down on.

NearTao wrote:We're not professional judges, and don't have criteria on how to judge... so it is bound to be a popularity contest of some sort :D

If you go back to previous battles and listen and then look at the votes. the winning entry is pretty solid. i’ve seen some ball fluffing popularity contest battle threads before and i personally don’t think that happens here.
By pk1 Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:11 am
so as far as heads not following rules....
what needs to happen is you guys the contenders call them out. Announce the track in question. On myself or Psych and we will handle. I don’t always listen to tracks before vote. Specially if I’m participating. If they blatantly break the rule they are excluded from the vote. It’s not a big deal. If you build a track that’s not in the guidelines then say it. Be honest. I will gladly post the beat that didn’t follow the rule in the vote thread so everybody can hear you. But you won’t be included in the vote option. Sometimes the sample is wack and the rules are queer. You may be like (fuk it I’m doing me) that’s fine. Just announce that you are not in vote but made a track. The rules are generally to creat obstacles for you to push yourself to do something you don’t usually do. If you don’t want to two step some shit presented then do you. But don’t think it’s all good and your beat works.

So from now on the community needs to hold each other accountable.
Weapon shoot me a sample or I’m posting what I want.
By pk1 Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:00 am
why cause you have no digging skills...
cause your not able to get in youtube even and find a dope sample....
Cause your lazy and want others to baby sit you...
Cause your scared nobody will like your sample...
When you put you beat in for battle you figured you would win. You did t think to just have a sample on deck if you did.

These are the thinks that make the battle lag. These are things others should keep in mind when you see these dude do this shit hold me accountable.
No sweat responsible adults have it covered... :Sigh:
By MPCWeapon1 Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:35 am
pk1 wrote: why cause you have no digging skills...
cause your not able to get in youtube even and find a dope sample....
Cause your lazy and want others to baby sit you...
Cause your scared nobody will like your sample...
When you put you beat in for battle you figured you would win. You did t think to just have a sample on deck if you did.

These are the thinks that make the battle lag. These are things others should keep in mind when you see these dude do this **** hold me accountable.
No sweat responsible adults have it covered... :Sigh:

I was gonna pick "War" from the Rocky soundtrack but I was having trouble loading it Didn't want to hold the battle up so I let someone else pick the sample. Nothin deeper than that.
By Cockdiesel Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:36 am
Just post the link of it on YouTube. If ever win it’s what I would do. I don’t have songs saved like that and haven’t had a record player for my records in a few years
By DawgFather Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:48 pm
I didn't mind the requirements was just confused.

If you look back at the submissions I blatantly asked if I was doing the break beat boom bap per requirements and didn't get any feedback about that specifically. As if it wasn't obvious, I'm green on hip hop, so don't feel shy about teaching this old dawg something.

This go around I used a drum kit of individual hits and used the pads -- that what I understand as the definition of boom bap. The provided sample didn't have drums so I couldn't source the hits from it. My arrangement could have been better to make the break stand out :WTF: .

@CD totally agree, drums were too fast and prominent for my slow boom bap of the sample. So many things to keep in mind when creating these pieces. It's weird because you don't notice these things until after it's all done and posted.
By saltmcgault Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:12 pm
DawgFather wrote:My arrangement could have been better to make the break stand out :WTF:.

@CD totally agree, drums were too fast and prominent for my slow boom bap of the sample. So many things to keep in mind when creating these pieces. It's weird because you don't notice these things until after it's all done and posted.

This is why before you post any of your beats post it up privately or just make a wav. play the shit out of it listen to it while you’re away from your mpc. Do you have any brutally honest friends that love hip hop? send it to them. ask them to run it through a couple of times ask for the pros and cons. After about the 20th time you listen to it you’re going to know exactly what you like and what you don’t like and you’ll find ways to improve it. i can go down my list of beats and say to myself why did i do that why didn’t i change it? :WTF: I will say your progression is showing in these battles. :smoker:
By MPCWeapon1 Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Just post the link of it on YouTube. If ever win it’s what I would do. I don’t have songs saved like that and haven’t had a record player for my records in a few years

This is the version I had. I try to adhere to the rules. This would have been dope because it has a lot of different elements to it for everybody to get loose.

The posted sample for BB 283 is cool though. I'll probably post something tomorrow to show yall how to freak it.

By pk1 Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:38 pm
damn that would have been a dope sample.