Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Best Flip?

N/A
57%
N/A
N/A
43%
N/A
N/A
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:31 am
Yes indeed its that time to crown this weeks winner once again

Usual rules as per normal, obviously you all know by now don’t vote for yourself. Vote will run for 2 day, can the winner please send me or PK1
ONE sample/rules on Friday for the next round. As always all feedback and constructive criticism is welcome, so let these guys know what you thought of their tracks etc

NearTao

MPCWeapon1

DawgFather

Levulz2it

saadyah tz▾i

Cockdiesel

Keith's Lard

Good Luck Fellas :smoker:
By Cockdiesel Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:02 am
went with mpcweapon. although others stuck out better in different ways.

tao- might not be your thing but some 808 sounds on that beat would have been killer. would have hit my vibe just right especially the first part.

levels seemed under produced, and saad seemed over produced. levels was on a cool vibe but things needed to pop more. and saad it seemed like you might have had the backbone or something done before you added that sample. nothing wrong with either just didn't hit the vibe just right for me.

dawg- I think you picked a really laid back sample for more aggressive drums.

keith almost the opposite, chill vibe, but that echo on bass drum really stuck out.

just providing constructive criticism, and anyone is more than welcome to pick my ish apart. some nice sounding tracks, but I think the whole "boom bap" bridge ( I really don't know what that exactly is) kind of took a few of us for a loop.
By NearTao Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:17 pm
I dropped comments on SoundCloud/Youtube for everybody. Some (EDIT: of my comments) are more valuable than others... but overall, this is a super solid week. Really enjoyed all of the tracks, and they all sounded quite cohesive to me.

Good job folks!
By saadyah tz▾i Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:57 am
i went with mpcweapon1 once again
most of y'all didn't do the boom bap break/bridge but that's ok guess it was an odd rule although i thought this community would be capable of it
anyway nice beats by all!
By saltmcgault Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:12 am
saadyah tz▾i wrote:most of y'all didn't do the boom bap break/bridge but that's ok guess it was an odd rule although i thought this community would be capable of it
anyway nice beats by all!

it was an “odd” rule is nice way to put it. you won so it’s your rule. **** trap music. 1/12866894th hi hats and trying to mix trap with boom bap. that’s the corniest rule i’ve seen to date here and the sample wasn’t too far behind that either.
By Cockdiesel Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:21 am
yea we need some fools to step up. this layering 4 bar loops of the samples over polished drums is kind of wack...... could be demo sequences from fruity loops with added samples for all we know i guess it sounds good tho....
By saadyah tz▾i Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:01 am
saltmcgault wrote:
it was an “odd” rule is nice way to put it. you won so it’s your rule. **** trap music. 1/12866894th hi hats and trying to mix trap with boom bap. that’s the corniest rule i’ve seen to date here and the sample wasn’t too far behind that either.

So maybe try to win and choose something less corny. I thought it would provide a challenge to everyone here to step out of our comfort zones

Cockdiesel wrote:yea we need some fools to step up. this layering 4 bar loops of the samples over polished drums is kind of wack...... could be demo sequences from fruity loops with added samples for all we know i guess it sounds good tho....

I've been in these battles for nearly a decade, I've won many times. I don't know about you but I'd call that stepping up. If I knew yall would just act like some salty babies perhaps I would have just gone with the standard soul or blues sample and no special rules so everyone could make the same lazy boom bap beats. I'm glad I chose the rule and sample that I did, i feel like it pushed things in a different direction which was refreshing. And I use maschine not fl...
:fku: :lol: :roll: :smoker:
By NearTao Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:35 pm
You win, you go with what you want for samples and rules. Personally I'd rather have somebody come up with something challenging or interesting... so my vote for anybody posting is for them to do what they want. Worst case is fewer entries, and folks can work on their own music if the week doesn't float their boat :D
By Cockdiesel Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 pm
I have no problem with trap or the challenge. The point I was making was participation and people needed to step up other wise every week we are going to voting on who has the best library of beats. Which will make participation less
By saltmcgault Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:41 pm
saadyah tz▾i wrote:
So maybe try to win and choose something less corny. I thought it would provide a challenge to everyone here to step out of our comfort zones

Cockdiesel wrote:yea we need some fools to step up. this layering 4 bar loops of the samples over polished drums is kind of wack...... could be demo sequences from fruity loops with added samples for all we know i guess it sounds good tho....

I've been in these battles for nearly a decade, I've won many times. I don't know about you but I'd call that stepping up. If I knew yall would just act like some salty babies perhaps I would have just gone with the standard soul or blues sample and no special rules so everyone could make the same lazy boom bap beats. I'm glad I chose the rule and sample that I did, i feel like it pushed things in a different direction which was refreshing. And I use maschine not fl...
:fku: :lol: :roll: :smoker:

I'm pretty sure everybody in this "community" is capable of following any rules in these battles even the corny ones if they choose to apply their free time to it. I had fun working on another project.

Props to everybody that submitted this round. I gave them all a couple of listens and had a toss up between 3 neartao, saadyah, and weapon. I went with the catchiest one of those 3 and voted for weapon.
By NearTao Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:24 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I have no problem with trap or the challenge. The point I was making was participation and people needed to step up other wise every week we are going to voting on who has the best library of beats. Which will make participation less

Heh... well I can hear that... I've been pushing myself out of my comfort zone, and really trying to get more mileage out of the samples provided instead and as a result I haven't really touched much of the crazy pile of samples I got. But yeah... plenty of us have stupid amounts of samples, clips, loops, patterns, etc... stored up...

On the other hand... it's been why I've been taking the approach I have for the BBs... I'm not terribly interested in catching votes, I'm far more interested in getting myself out of the box, and if others appreciate it then that is cool. If I wanted to flex on winning, I would not be submitting the half completed, usually not mixed, and definitely not mastered stuff I've been dropping.
By Cockdiesel Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:01 pm
That’s the point. This is a sample flipping challenge not a mixing battle. I’m pushing myself to get better at mixing but that’s second to how I can flip the sample. To me 4 bar loops even auto filtered isn’t very creative, I’ve had a hard time voting. Seems I go with the track I find the less flaws with.

the last two weeks I noticed that the votes went to tracks that either you couldn’t tell where the sample was or very basic sampling but just sounded “more legit”. Heck even the ones I voted for, so I’m guilty of it too.

Ahh well there’s always next week. Just gets discouraging when you actually spend time on this stuff and the same people are the only ones getting votes.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:33 pm
saadyah tz▾i wrote:Most of y'all didn't do the boom bap break/bridge but that's ok guess it was an odd rule although i thought this community would be capable of it

I treat everyone that battles on here with respect and fairness, I don't check each entry when posting the vote as we are all responsible adults and I trust everyone to follow and do whatever the rules that week are set out. But if your blatantly going to bend the rules or not follow them, then you leave us with no choice but to go through each entry with a fine tooth comb and run the battles with an iron fist mentality. We really don't want to go down that route so don't force our hand so to speak,

Warning issued guys