Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By pk1 Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 pm
Props NearTao on the :arrow: W!!

Sample
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t72bjx2akt8t1 ... t.wav?dl=0

Rules
* Any outside sounds allowed, but must be sampled through a microphone by you at some point in the process... use a real mic... your phone, laptop, field recorder, mic and amp, whatever you've got
* use your own judgement for the microphone, but no simulations allowed by itself, unless you get it through a physical mic at some point

As per normal your entry must have battle number 286 in track title and please use soundcloud or youtube to post your track here in this thread. The Battle deadline is midnight Tuesday The 28th of July.
By NearTao Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:00 pm
pk1 wrote:Props Neaty Tao on the :arrow: W!!

Sample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU

Rules
* Any outside sounds allowed, but must be sampled through a microphone by you at some point in the process... use a real mic... your phone, laptop, field recorder, mic and amp, whatever you've got
* use your own judgement for the microphone, but no simulations allowed by itself, unless you get it through a physical mic at some point

As per normal your entry must have battle number 285 in track title and please use soundcloud or youtube to post your track here in this thread. The Battle deadline is midnight Tuesday The 28th of July.

Must have 286 in the track, not 285 :D
By saltmcgault Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:07 pm
NearTao wrote:
pk1 wrote:Props Neaty Tao on the :arrow: W!!

Sample
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU

Rules

As per normal your entry must have battle number 285 in track title and please use soundcloud or youtube to post your track here in this thread. The Battle deadline is midnight Tuesday The 28th of July.

Must have 286 in the track, not 285 :D

copy and paste can be a trick sometimes. :lol:
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:55 pm
Fixed :wink:
By NearTao Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:12 am
I hope others are doing well with the sample and the rules...

I think I hung myself with the microphone rule... trying to record as clean as possible but I am getting a lot of background noise from the fans and ac... so dang hot out here! Have not been able to deal with filtering the sounds out... it's killing my high end on my non "So What" samples.

Taking this challenge head on though... I am going to get something together and learn from doing it.
By dez perado Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:21 am
NearTao wrote:I hope others are doing well with the sample and the rules...

I think I hung myself with the microphone rule... trying to record as clean as possible but I am getting a lot of background noise from the fans and ac... so dang hot out here! Have not been able to deal with filtering the sounds out... it's killing my high end on my non "So What" samples.

Taking this challenge head on though... I am going to get something together and learn from doing it.

Embrace the noise my brother.
By dez perado Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:28 am

sampled myself banging on empty plastic Chinese food bowl and mostly empty change filled water jug and made some drums.and sampled a chord out of my triton rack through my monitors.rest is chops filtering and effects.
By NearTao Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:19 pm
(took several edits to get this link right... I think I forgot how to use the markup language for a minute...)

There's a lot to flip in that sample, but I tried to keep myself under control and see what I could do with a few sections to loop and do some change ups instead of straight up chops.

Initial microphone recording tests stunk. Of course, using a lower quality microphone absolutely did not help the situation. Shame on me, I ended up with a bunch of junk content that just clashed with the track.

Drum break was sample in through the mic, and took several attempts to get it at the right level. I wanted the mic to pick up *some* of the room ambience, but not loose out on too much of the low end. For me, the sweet spot on the D880 was about an inch from the mic, and just pushing the gains super high. I got a tiny bit of clipping, but nothing bad.

The Kick just took a lot of patience, and I ended up playing the kick drum sound out of my phone into the D880, and just kept playing it until I got a good hit with a tiny bit of distortion and some solid volume. I think it's not quite right for the track, but it is what it is.

The snare... hahaha... this was the only element I kept from my sampling expedition with the Bastl Instruments Microgranny. The speaker is tiny, and the sampling engine I believe is 8-bit, but it could be 12-bit. I forget off hand. Anyways, this was part of me running around the house hitting things, recording it, and then pitching the sounds around. This was pretty much the only "usable" sound... at least for this BB.

Vocals... well I ran the D880 into a Plankton Electronics Spice, and used the Korg Nutone tube to drive the vocals. To get what I did took about 30 takes, and was me just about whispering into the mic, and getting this overdriven signal. I had some awesome takes that were super overdriven and sounded cool, but wouldn't work with the track as it was coming together... I'll have to save them for another day.

Overall, I played with five or six microphones of varying quality. I'm going to have to say the D880 was my hero this time, because it has very directional sound and needs quite close proximity. Some of the other mics I have can pic up sounds 100 feet away and it nearly sounds like it is right beside you... which is both annoying and kind of creepy when you're just trying to get a clean enough sample to work with and you can hear the kids shows popping up in the sample.