Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!
By pk1 Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:01 am

Whats good fellas. didn't have the balls to enter last week.. been to long.
Props to Null on win.
Sample: https://www.dropbox.com/s/beaht9z335kwer8/04.%20Streets%20Of%20Arklow.wav?dl=0

Rules:
Transpose the sample or parts of it into a new key. Just don't use everything you chop in the original pitch. {see side note}
outside sound/instrument ok
outside drums ok
scratching welcome
vocal drops cool
full verse accapellas = NOPE.
Track need to have battle tittle ion name
and need to be submitted with a soundcloud track or a youtube link. Posted in this thread.
By Tuesday night midnight your time.

Here he explains what he does.. {side note}

Get experimental. One thing I like to do when I'm brainstorming, is to see how far I can pitch a sound up or down before it turns into chipmunk music or dungeon mud. If I like something where it's sitting, but I transposed all the highs or lows out of it, I'll duplicate that sound and stack a 2nd one on top of it, but I'll pitch it + or - 12 semitones, an octave apart. So, if one is -5, the other will be +7, -6/+6, -3/+9, +2/+14, etc. Then I'll hi, lo, or band pass them and time stretch them accordingly. After I built something that resembles a groove, I'll start shifting smaller chops out of that 12 semitone range, by +/- 1 semitone increments until I can feel out a scale to play different chops in, then I'll layer a new melody with that, EQ or filter it and keep building in that new key. See what you can come up with."

Good luck Fellas..
By NearTao Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:02 pm

Going to add some details on what I did, in case this disqualifies my entry, because it's not a straight flip... and instead ventured into weird territory... also, I don't see this as winning material anyways... but check it out

To start, the only content that did not come from the track are the drums. The drums are from MPC Tutor's latest expansion pack... definitely go check it out!

As for all the other sounds... well I started by recording the track into my Morphagene... this is a granular based tape looper kind of thing... This enabled me to speed up, slow down, and kind of smear the samples out. At a high level, what I did was pitch everything down an octave, I set the grain size to about a quarter second, and layered a bunch of grains. I did this for everything I sampled... in order to keep it all harmonically related... and from here was able to just scrub through the timeline to find clips that sound interesting or musical.

From the Morphagene, I then ran it through my Panharmonium in order to add in some pitched up audio by mixing in some new content that was bumped up an octave by doing some resynthesis techniques in order to restore some of the lost higher register audio content. This brought back and created all kinds of quite interesting harmonically related noises and artifacts.

Scrubbing through all if this, clipping, chopping, and looping left me with quite a bit of interesting, but mostly not terribly useful content. I did like what this built into though... and at least figured folks might be interested in it, even if it gets disqualified for not being a direct set of flips and chops :D
By Null Sweat Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:55 pm
You're straight, NearTao. Outside drums were allowed and what you did was just processing imo. Doesn't matter how you used the sample, just as long as you used it. But your limiter settings are crazy loud. I'm listening on 20 outta 100 and it's still pretty loud. Interesting working tho!
By NearTao Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:01 pm
Null Sweat wrote:You're straight, NearTao. Outside drums were allowed and what you did was just processing imo. Doesn't matter how you used the sample, just as long as you used it. But your limiter settings are crazy loud. I'm listening on 20 outta 100 and it's still pretty loud. Interesting working tho!

I'll try and remix it in a bit... see if I can let it relax a little bit more :D

EDIT: Alright... everything mixed down at -6db from where it was... it's not flat lining as much now :D
By Null Sweat Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:13 pm
Yeah, that's much better. You shrank da sausage, man. The drums are popping out more now.
By pk1 Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:43 am
after your breakdown im still wondering why you feel..
NearTao wrote:even if it gets disqualified for not being a direct set of flips and chops :D

Why do you feel you disqualified your track?
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:12 pm
Congrats on the win Null Sweat. Got a pretty busy week so I'm not sure if I going to find time to slap any pads