Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

Flip Of The Week?

N/A
17%
N/A
25%
42%
17%
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:41 am
Right it's time once again to get your votes in for this weeks winner

Usual rules as per normal, obviously you all know by now don’t vote for yourself. Vote will run for 2 day, can the winner please send me , PK1 or Saltmcgault
ONE sample/rules on Friday for the next round. As always all feedback and constructive criticism is welcome, so let these guys know what you thought of their tracks etc

NearTao

FrankTheLyricalTank

Undosequence

Psychedelic Schizophrenic

Lampdog

Ajax

Good luck people :smoker:
By NearTao Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:06 am
Frank - damn here you go again… bringing it out of the gate. Solid track and could listen to this in rotation… my only “meh” was the fill felt a little off…. But that was probably me. Gorgeous sounds start to end though!

Undosequence - this just feels so dang old school, mix is whack though. You’re like -6 or -10db from everybody else… and the track suffers from it. Just fix your mix and you’ll be setup much better next battle.

Psych - freaking solid, this is the track you take home to your mom, and proudly walk down the street with her hanging on your arm. I have no idea what I’m talking about, but this is the business. Solid to the point track.

Lamp - you got a lot going on here, definitely some things I didn’t expect… tape stop is a strong thumbs up for me! Those claps… settle right into the mix just right.

Ajax - big and booming man! I think the snare stands out as being a bit off for the track… would probably put a low pass filter on it. Really great use of the sample, solid journey through what you flipped.

So stoked to see this many entries... awesome job everybody!
By Ajax Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:07 am
It was great seeing how differently everyone approached this sample.

Neartao. Really enjoyed the abstract nature of your beat. In a million years, I wouldn’t have considered going where you went with it (and I mean that in a good way).

Frank. Smooth as hell. The way the samples blended together, it’s almost like they weren’t even chopped. I don’t know if your attack/decay game is just that good or what, but I was really impressed how natural the reconstructed melody sounded.

Undo. I’ll echo Neartao’s comment about the decibels/volume, but I won’t hold it against you. The scratches were a really cool touch. I think you could have expanded a little more on the fundamental loop, but this was still solid (and right up my alley, in terms of old school boom bap).

Psychadelic. This was really smooth too. Probably my favorite, along with Frank’s. Very solid piano work.

Lamp. A lot like Neartao, I just wouldn’t have expected this approach. Very refreshing to see a different take... and that clap stands out. Good stuff.

All in all, I think personal preference it came down to Frank vs. Psychadelic... and I think Frank barely edged it. But, everyone came solid. Nicely done. Cheers.
By Ocular Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:08 am
Kinda hard to choose... I liked the way Lamp flipped the piano part so he get's my vote.
By Undosequence Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:58 am
Thanks for the feedback, fully hear you about the mix, I'm just learning tracking out to Ableton but missed the vital step of making it loud.
Cracked it now though :)
By Lampdog Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:04 am
NearTao wrote:tape stop is a strong thumbs up for me!

Ocular wrote:Kinda hard to choose... I liked the way Lamp flipped the piano part so he get's my vote.

@Ocular
I was trying to make it sound like natural playing instead of sounding like chops. Thanks!

@Ajax & NearTao
I am all about some lush claps.
By Ajax Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:55 pm
Just wanted to drop in to comment on Null’s beat too (although, ultimately, my vote is staying the same).

First off, props for making a beat in your truck during a blizzard. Stay safe down there.

This was solid. Especially like all of the melody movement, rather than a single loop over and over... Really solid job on chopping the piano that formed the main part of your beat.. That was really catchy and worked well. The beginning of the beat was a little choppy for me, at least when paired with the drums. Not a knock, it just felt like the stabs could have used some smoothing out to blend into each other. But, that’s a minor nit..

Good stuff, man.
By Sense-A Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 am
I vote Ajax and then near tao.

Lamp dogg should have won but the breakdown was just drums solo and the clap was boring. Better drums and breakdown and lamp would have won cuz he had the best head nodder otherwise.

Ajax had samples, transition, good drums

Near taos beat is hard at :45 sec mark on

Good submission by everyone
By Lampdog Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:49 am
I voted Psych.
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 pm
Great work all round guys

NearTao - Really nice abstract flip man, I just felt the thud in the kick wasn't there it seemed a little flat but other then that good work

Frank - Another solid flip, really great work with blending the chops together. Hats off to you it sounded smooth as hell

Undosequence - I also agree with what NearTeo and Ajax said. Keep going man these battles are a great way of homing your skills :smoker:

Lampdog - Damn that bassline, damn that piano and triple damn them lustrous claps. Really dope flip :smoker:

Ajax - Really digging this man, love the vocal sample and great work on the drums and chops... Really stellar work

It came down to Frank and Lampdog for me but Lampdog just edged it for my vote :smoker:
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:45 pm
NearTao wrote:Psych - freaking solid, this is the track you take home to your mom, and proudly walk down the street with her hanging on your arm. I have no idea what I’m talking about, but this is the business. Solid to the point track.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't a clue either but thanks man I don't get to enter many these days with work/family life so Im just trying to improve each time I enter

Ajax wrote:Psychadelic. This was really smooth too. Probably my favorite, along with Frank’s. Very solid piano work.

Thanks man was just about to throw in the towel then stumbled on the sequence of the piano chops and the rest just followed

Undosequence wrote:I voted psych purely because I could listen to it over and over and still enjoy it.
I liked all the submissions though!

Thanks man :smoker:

Lampdog wrote:I voted Psych.

ありがとうございました
By Lampdog Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 pm
Psychedelic Schizophrenic wrote:ありがとうございました

HAHA. I read it like in a flash, second nature with Hira and Kata now, Kanji is a DIFFERENT story. Been studying writing lately, and reading character books.

Don't touch the mustache!

I voted for you cause I honestly feel you did way better. I can't listen to my own shit over and over like what was said way up above, but you guys' shyt I can listen to over and over and it doesn't bother me.