Submit your beats to our regular battles - the winner starts the next battle!

best beat?

14%
29%
29%
29%
By saltmcgault Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:45 pm
Its that time once again to crown another weekly winner.

Usual rules as per normal, obviously you all know by now don’t vote for yourself. Vote will run for 2 days, can the winner please send me ,
PK1 or Psychedelic Schizophrenic ONE sample/rules on Friday for the next round. As always all feedback and constructive criticism is welcome,
so let these guys know what you thought of their tracks etc..

Undosequence

Large Jesus

NearTao

akaimpclive2
By NearTao Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:39 am
Undosequence... totally feels like something I would have done... but better... totally dig it :D
Large Jesus... really enjoyed the orchestral and choir hits in this... nice and smooth!
akaimpclive2... I dig the rhythm on this track the most... it's got a nice flow to it
By Undosequence Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:31 am
Yo thanks for the positive feedback on that one.

Large Jesus- I like how you utilised so much of the sample! Made me feel extremely lazy :)

Near Tao- I really like how yours ended up sounding like something of an old king fu movie. Very dope!

I voted for Akai, I liked how he constructed the beat and the way he dropped the nice little chop of the sample before the drums came in.
By akaimpclive2 Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:16 pm
Undosequence the only reservation I can have is excessive monotony, which would disappear if a rapper appeared on this beat. Very good, atmospheric beat. I miss a lot to achieve this level of smoothness of the mix.

LJ another very good beat. A lot of work in gluing these many pieces together and a very good sound.

NearTao Your music is weird, but in a very positive way (sorry if I don't choose my words very carefully, but I'm not an English speaker). Your music is sometimes WTF (which is completely not my vibe, because it's too "twisted") and sometimes jaw on the ground and "how did he do it, it's so unusual, but I want to hear it again"? I like experiments and unobvious cutting of samples, but your level is definitely much, much higher. Still a long way ahead of me.
In the previous vote, I chose LJ without hesitation, but today I might as well have voted for any contestant. Ultimately, however, the NT
By Undosequence Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:00 am
Mpclive, I completely agree with all you’ve said, and definitely thought that same thing about my beat being monotonous. I usually rely on scratches to keep things interesting but decided to have a change this time :)
I need to work on structuring my beats better and keeping things interesting.
Thanks for the feedback!
By NearTao Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:21 pm
akaimpclive2 wrote:NearTao Your music is weird, but in a very positive way (sorry if I don't choose my words very carefully, but I'm not an English speaker). Your music is sometimes WTF (which is completely not my vibe, because it's too "twisted") and sometimes jaw on the ground and "how did he do it, it's so unusual, but I want to hear it again"? I like experiments and unobvious cutting of samples, but your level is definitely much, much higher. Still a long way ahead of me.

Hah man... you gave me a good chuckle. I spent years trying to perfect "the sound" for various genres of music (DnB, Hip Hop, Dance, Ambient). I was trying to see if I could cut it professionally... ended up making tracks for a few video games, and had a group of friends that I'd produce tracks, bumpers, and stuff for them (and myself) to DJ. Used to hit a few venues semi-regularly, played some small sized shows (like 100-200), would take parties, basically meeting people, getting free drinks, and having fun. I had a lot of the right connections, but I also had a perfectly good, well paying job... and the two lifestyles weren't really compatible... running hard in the music scene and trying to hold a 9-5 job is very very hard. Plus I didn't enjoy the hustle... you'd see people who were (in my mind at least) not musically talented... but could hype up ice to a penguin.

Anyways... when I dug deep it became clear I'm doing all this music stuff for me. I don't mind researching and learning from formulas, but I'd much rather be having fun and doing something different. I don't need to make money on any of this stuff, and as a result I haven't felt the need to be consistent to build an audience. If it sounds like WTF or IDGAF, well... it frequently is to some extent.

For example on this track I just used the transient chop and didn't bother worrying if the chops were perfect... I knew I could just use the pieces that sounded good, and I just hunted for things that felt like they would work well or sound interesting together. As a result, it sounds kind of broken, weird, and I intentionally went for a weird, strung out kind of sound. I could certainly have done more to perfect it... but it also kind of works for what it is.

Anyways, stay cool, keep making music, and if it sounds good it is good.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:28 pm
By Large Jesus Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:25 pm
Lampdog wrote:Image

:lol: If I ever wind up liking enough of my beats to put out an album, this a top contender for the cover art.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:28 pm
Large Jesus wrote: :lol: If I ever wind up liking enough of my beats to put out an album, this a top contender for the cover art.

I mean it says EVERYTHING without saying anything.
:lol: :lol: