The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By peterpiper Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:16 pm
Hey, I want to build a small DIY MIDI controller with arduino or raspi. I would like to use it for my TX16w sampler which doesn't have a data fader/knob but the ability to use any controlchange message for that.
Would be nice to use it for software too (GFX program Darktable and VST synths)

So the plan is:
1 or 2 fader
8 rotary encoder (with or without pushbutton)
8-16 buttons

MIDI IN
MIDI OUT

Would be nice to merge the signal from MIDI IN with the signal of the internal fader/rotary encoder if thats possible (From what I read so far it isn't possible internally but I don't understand why not).

Any help is much appreciated.
peace
By peterpiper Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:33 am
NearTao wrote:I just got it up to 22 for you :D

:lol:

NearTao wrote:Still no directly helpful information for you though... sorry :(

No problem. That just means I'll have to dig deeper and read some more sites on Raspi and Arduino Froums. Not a bad thing cause these boards are interesting anyway.
I just hoped I'll get spoonfed here :)

peace
By Pontiac Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:20 am
Check out a YouTube channel called Notes and Volts. Very detailed build walkthrough, for an arduino based midi controller. I followed along with the videos a few years back. It wasn’t a walk in the park but was easier than I thought. Also checkout Adafruit, they are a diy electronics online store with tons of cool kits as well as tutorials.
The Notes and Volts tutorial is for a USB connection, 5 pin is possible but rather tricky and involved.

Good luck.
By Ultros Sat May 08, 2021 1:45 am
If you're ok with c / linux you can acheive it through the midi device nodes in /dev/snd/. Open a node for read/write, write to it via code. How you chose to attach your controls to the midi device hook code below is up to you.

Code: Select all#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

int main(void)
{
    int filedesc = open("/dev/snd/midiC2D0", O_WRONLY | O_APPEND);
    if (filedesc < 0)  return 0;

//TOGGLE,NOTE,VALUE
    char msg[3]={ 0xFF, 0x01, 0x7F };
    write(filedesc, buf, 3);

return 0;
}
By J.D. Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:24 am
I built a Controller with 16 Arcade-Buttons and 6 Rotary knobs.
It‘s quite easy with an Arduino, you don‘t even have to be skilled in soldering.
Just search youtube for a tutorial, there re lots step-by-step tutorials for the building process and downloadable code that you only need to configure, you don‘t need to know programming.
By indirect Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:57 am
Hey! I suggest using arduino board of some kind and “open deck”. It’s a project with online configurator for your device - super cool! I’ve used pro micro board. You need to upload relevant hex file (it’s on download version in GitHub) and you’re good to go. You might just buy board from developer, as it has all relevant connections present. Otherwise you’ll have to figure out how to add DIN midi (usually it’s tx/rx pins + resistors), power etc. I made simple 4 button foot switch, so small board is fine. Otherwise you’ll need multiplexers and matrix scanning. I never thought I could do it, but I did!