The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By distortedtekno Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:35 am
JUKE 179r wrote:It's not the best video (15 seconds for Instagram) but I finally got my 2000XL hooked up to my MBP via SCSI to USB and transferring files...
https://www.instagram.com/p/_knmDuhYvH/
https://scontent-atl3-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xpa1/t50.2886-16/12364880_1942533849304345_286853275_n.mp4

Cool. You got it reading the drive like it was an MPC1000 or 2500?
By JUKE 179r Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:25 am
Yep. It's a pain in the ass but it's doable on the XL as long as you have a SCSI card reader and/or SCSI to IDE bridge which an internal PATA laptop drive is connected to.
Using the XL's OS1.14, I can format XL's internal laptop HDD to 9 each 939MB partitions (A to I). But on the Mac (with OS 10.8.5 & 10.10.5) recognizes only the one "A" partition and the PC (with Win7) doesn't recognize anything and wants to format the XL's HDD.
Using the XL's OS1.2, I can format the XL's HDD only 1 each 1GB partition. Doing this makes the HDD recognized on both the Mac and PC as a 1GB FAT16(0x04) partition. The other 8GB's aren't able to be used.
By JUKE 179r Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:47 pm
distortedtekno wrote:I'm thinking about buying an adapter and trying this with my MPC2000 Classic that has the internal SCSI MO drive.

IMHO it should work but it depends on your computer and OS and if it needs certain drivers for the DB25 SCSI to USB cable to work together. The DB25 SCSI to USB cords are quite expensive going for $100 and up on ebay.
I've used an HD50 SCSI to USB cord and Jaz HD50 SCSI to Firewire 400 cord on my XL and I couldn't get either one to play well with the XL. I finally used a HD50 SCSI to DB25 SCSI connector from the XL's external SCSI port to the DB25 SCSI to USB cable into the laptop.
I'll make a longer video for YouTube when time permits.

richie wrote:You two are crazy.

Just sharing the knowledge from many days of blood, sweat and beers. :lol:
By distortedtekno Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:48 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:I'm thinking about buying an adapter and trying this with my MPC2000 Classic that has the internal SCSI MO drive.

IMHO it should work but it depends on your computer and OS and if it needs certain drivers for the DB25 SCSI to USB cable to work together. The DB25 SCSI to USB cords are quite expensive going for $100 and up on ebay.
I've used an HD50 SCSI to USB cord and Jaz HD50 SCSI to Firewire 400 cord on my XL and I couldn't get either one to play well with the XL. I finally used a HD50 SCSI to DB25 SCSI connector from the XL's external SCSI port to the DB25 SCSI to USB cable into the laptop.
I'll make a longer video for YouTube when time permits.

Just sharing the knowledge from many days of blood, sweat and beers. :lol:

I have a 2011 Mac Mini running OS X Mavericks. What version are you running on your MBP?
I saw a cheap SCSI to USB adapter on ebay which has a DB25 male connector that I can plug right in back of my MPC. So I might buy it today. If I can't get it to work with the MPC, I can still buy an adapter and connect it directly to one of my MO drives.
Are you using the MPBlaze app on your Mac?
By JUKE 179r Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:08 pm
I'm got Mountain Lion on my 2008 MBP and Yosemite on my 2014 MBP.

I read up on the MPBlaze app but haven't tried it out yet. Looks cool though.
By distortedtekno Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:30 pm
I forgot that I upgraded to Yosemite. MPBlaze looks good. I haven't bought it yet. Last night, I had a SCSI to USB adapter on my watch list for $12 and now it's sold. :Sigh:
I'll find another soon. I'm gonna wait till after the holidays.
By distortedtekno Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:11 am
Good news so far: I connected the MPC to my old Windows XP machine which has a SCSI card installed. Windows recognized the MO disk installed in my MPC. As long as it's not partitioned, it'll read properly. It's easy as cake transferring files from my PC to MPC, even though I also have an MO drive installed in the PC. Everything worked just as Juke demonstrated. I'm sure this can also be done using an external SCSI drive chained between the MPC and a PC or Mac because it's the same thing. I just never thought to try it. But I'm glad Juke made his post. I'm definitely looking forward to buying a SCSI to USB cable, so I can keep my MPC connected to my Mac where it'll be much simpler without having to transfer samples from the Mac to the PC, and then to the MPC. Thanks Juke! 8)
By distortedtekno Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:30 am

Hell yeah! Definitely fun being able to learn a few old tricks and make an old MPC work in a more modern environment. I'm glad that I did the internal SCSI mod on my 2000 because I'm able to use the external connection right into my computer without needing an external device and all the extra cables. This is as good as having an MPC1000, 2500, or 500, but only better since those models won't allow you to load and save simultaneously while connected to the PC or Mac.
By richie Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:47 am
@distortedtekno I agree man, I'm not hating at all. Just reading what you two are up to, first thing I thought is - you're both crazy man.
By distortedtekno Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:57 am
richie wrote:@distortedtekno I agree man, I'm not hating at all. Just reading what you two are up to, first thing I thought is - you're both crazy man.

No doubt. I know you're not hating. Glad you're enjoying what's going on and it's always good to see people like you who have the same enthusiasm. 8)
By edzer Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:18 pm
yo sorry for the

but anyone happen to have a pic of that ASRX/2KXL hybrid? Wondered about that for years but youtube vid and pics are long expired.
By JUKE 179r Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:37 am
¿Que? :?