The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By elektrik_muz Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:40 pm
In therory, Akai could do this.

In practice, don't hold your breath. Akai has a reputation here and it's not good.

No one else has legal access to the source code.

That said, I don't really see how it's going to help you with that EH box. Your post seems to suggest you've tried successfully with MTC. That's interesting because I cant't find any mention of MTC implementation in the 2880 manual. Was that part of a software upgrade?

Still don't see how it would help anyway. MTC doesn't send tempo information and since the 2880 has known sync issues it would seem more like the EH is the source of your problem. Not that it's anymore likely you'll get someone to hack the EH software.

In fact I can think of only two suggestions that might help with the EH. One is to use a sequencer that sends clock all the time so the thing never has to resync (the manual suggests this) but the MPC won't do that. The other idea would be to get a tech to replace the optoisolator on the midi input, but that's assuming it's a hardware problem and not a software issue. Both of those ideas a just shots in the dark, really.
By inflict3 Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:10 am
crossings wrote:if you're already willing to pay extra for that feature... you may as well just get a 1000 with jjos... 8)

i already have a 1000 with jjos.... what i said is if anyone can code or come up with an update or better os for the 500, I will throw in :o thats all im saying, come on, its not like im asking for a wave view or anything, you know more can be done with the os...im for real too, i WILL throw in :nod:
By greenedrum Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 pm
Thanks for the feedback folks.

My thinking was that if JJ can make a better OS for the 1000, why can't they(or someone) do that for the 500? How do they sidestep the legal issues? My understanding was that Akai did not care because it adds value to their much outdated product.

I would prefer to be working with the 1000, but my client is providing the setup that I am working with so I have to make the best of it.

Cheers!
By inflict3 Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:39 pm
i actually prefer working with my 500 over my 1000 with jjos2xl :shock: and im not just saying that
By elektrik_muz Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:06 pm
elektrik_muz wrote:The newcomers to the JJ thing who come on here begging JJ to fix the rest of the Akai line don't realize that the 1k/2.5k JJ OSs were the product of a unique set of circumstances involving the future "JJ team" members direct involvement with the development of those boxes as an Akai contractor and the corruption of Grande Holdings Ltd. That set of circumstances did not exist in the case of the 3500not5000 [and every other MPC besides 1k/2.5k] and the company we now refer to as "Nukai".

Akai Japan never paid JJ for the software they contracted out to him, so it simply isn't theirs to claim.
By greenedrum Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 pm
elektrik_muz wrote:
elektrik_muz wrote:The newcomers to the JJ thing who come on here begging JJ to fix the rest of the Akai line don't realize that the 1k/2.5k JJ OSs were the product of a unique set of circumstances involving the future "JJ team" members direct involvement with the development of those boxes as an Akai contractor and the corruption of Grande Holdings Ltd. That set of circumstances did not exist in the case of the 3500not5000 [and every other MPC besides 1k/2.5k] and the company we now refer to as "Nukai".

Akai Japan never paid JJ for the software they contracted out to him, so it simply isn't theirs to claim.

THAT is fascinating. Thanks for the information.