The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By medearis Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 am
Hail adventurers,

I picked up a 1K last December. She's nice, has great personality and is there for me when I need her to be... but she's straight fugly! I'm definitely not the first owner and would go as far to say I'm probably the third or forth... no complaints because it was cheap!

-------------------------------------------
-Screen backlight is really dull
-The face plate is riddled with scuff marks. Color also seems faded/grey.
-A few of the buttons have to be pressed really hard/repeatedly to engage.
-Jogwheel also has some issues. Skips ahead/doesn't register. Happens rarely.
-Rear panel is a complete disaster... especially 'round the USB port.
-------------------------------------------

I understand what I gotta do for the screen & rear panel but I am really worried about the faceplate and the buttons...

Heard about Styleflip. Maybe I'd throw some Princess Mononoke or some Street Fighter on something but the chances of it being tastefully done on a 1K is slim. I would prefer to paint it BUT I'm not fluid with it enough yet to go without the button labels. I don't want to cheap out on this so I'd like to do it right, hence I'm asking here.

Are there any solid alternatives to Styleflip to redo the faceplate while retaining button labels? I heard that Styleflip doesn't do clear skins with just labels/text to your specifications, which would be an easy solution... any clever ideas?

Also, for the buttons. I'm pretty sure all I'd have to do is replace the TAC(?) switches, which are at MPCstuff. That a semi-simple process? I'm not a dummy and I'm good with my hands but I'm not a master electrician so would rather not take the risk with my instrument. :)

Sorry for the long-winded fuggin' wall of text.
-JM
By sciguy Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 am
MPCStuff sells some different colored faceplates.
http://www.mpcstuff.com/skandfa.html
Maybe you'll fins something you like there. Otherwise, I dunno.

The tact switches, don't buy them from MPCStuff. Ridiculously overpriced.
Do some searches on the forums, there are people who have found compatible tact switches on electronic parts distributors, and they're only like 50 cents each, as opposed to $7 each.
Also, many people here recommend de-oxit. It might be that the switches have just oxidized, this could fix it. Maybe try this first if you're not comfortable desoldering + soldering new ones.
That said, replacing the switches isn't very hard. You just need a soldering iron and some desoldering braid/wick. You press the wick against the solder joint with the iron, and it wicks up the solder when it melts. Pop out the old switch, and solder in the new one. Try it first on a button you don't care about. :lol:
By damien907 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:59 pm
i would try and paint it a solid black with a spraycan or something like that, then if you want you could get a clear sheet of sticker paper, print out your letters in small font, cut them and stick em in the right place when your done.

a member on here, ill green did that to his, maybe he would post up a picture of his.

although if it was me, i would just get it customized by this guy.

www.ghostinmpc.com

costs around 200 or 300 plus shipping though. so i dont know if thats in your budget.
im gonna get mine customized by him next year probably.