The place to share knowledge about upgrades, mods, customisations and all other cool DIY projects for MPCs and other music equipment.
By brisket Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Are there going to be benevolent hackers that will modify the new 2.10 firmware synth content folder... making it super easy for users to freely switch between the standard Akai Synth folder with a modified version of the folder that will add even more stuff to the new synths that need this content? or maybe the akai made it so it won't be possible?
By Ultros Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:23 pm
brisket wrote:Are there going to be benevolent hackers that will modify the new 2.10 firmware synth content folder... making it super easy for users to freely switch between the standard Akai Synth folder with a modified version of the folder that will add even more stuff to the new synths that need this content? or maybe the akai made it so it won't be possible?

You rest assured "they're" trying LOL.

MPC never really got "hacked" akai left it open. Would it be a bad thing if users could create their own synth content?

Modifying the MPC firmware is harmless to their business model, akai / inmusic isnt losing money because of it. Probably quite the contrary.

It's not like people are hacking in app pruchases because the MPC doesnt have any to hack. They are poking at unlocking functionality, which isn't malicious in any way, it's inquisitive.

I've talked to thekikgen and he seems like a pretty nice person, i dont think benevolent is the correct term for someone who promotes creativity.
By brisket Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:03 pm
Ultros wrote:
brisket wrote:Are there going to be benevolent hackers that will modify the new 2.10 firmware synth content folder... making it super easy for users to freely switch between the standard Akai Synth folder with a modified version of the folder that will add even more stuff to the new synths that need this content? or maybe the akai made it so it won't be possible?

You rest assured "they're" trying LOL.

MPC never really got "hacked" akai left it open. Would it be a bad thing if users could create their own synth content?

Modifying the MPC firmware is harmless to their business model, akai / inmusic isnt losing money because of it. Probably quite the contrary.

It's not like people are hacking in app pruchases because the MPC doesnt have any to hack. They are poking at unlocking functionality, which isn't malicious in any way, it's inquisitive.

I've talked to thekikgen and he seems like a pretty nice person, i dont think benevolent is the correct term for someone who promotes creativity.

Sorry, I might not be using right term and there's better word for hacker. I mean, well-intentioned good-hearted computer programming experts, not malevolent ones that are bad intention.

I am excited about the idea they're trying and I saw this today but didn't try yet, you can make your own skins for new synth content! Hopefully more nice community synth content folder discoveries to come! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdbcuhLjb74
By Ultros Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:44 am
lolol i've been kinda poking at it myself but havent been super focused on it. Would be really fun to have homebrew plugins, but i'm not really holding my breath on success.