Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Stakk Wed May 04, 2016 2:12 pm
The SCSI on my Akai 3200XL has an issue that i'm troubleshooting. It will start with the card in but no SCSI will work, it freezes with something connected to the port when you go to the load / save to hard disk screen. Also the OS 2.0 will not boot with the SCSI card in, if I take the card out it will boot up with the OS 2.0 disk in the drive

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start or if you can see any visable issue with the card itself... It looks like the port was put in crooked or or possible it took a knock

Any help would be great!
By richie Wed May 04, 2016 8:05 pm
When you boot the S3200XL and it goes searching for hard drive, can you press skip or does it not matter?
By Stakk Wed May 04, 2016 9:34 pm
@ richie I may of been able to hit skip and get out of that screen at one time, it hangs pretty hard and I think I just ended up turning it off on most tests. The OS 2.0 just crashes half way through booting so I'm assuming that's when it gets to some kind of SCSI test or update, with the card pulled out boots up the OS 2.0 no problem. Did I read you had a fuse issue on the SCSI board?
By richie Thu May 05, 2016 4:33 am
@Stakk I personally did not have one on the S3200XL but I recently responded to a thread where Fanu had a SCSI issue and subsequently changed the fuse. The SCSI issue seems to be prevalent in all Akai S series samplers at some point.

I wish Fanu responded with the pictures I asked him to share in that thread, oh well.
By Stakk Thu May 05, 2016 12:49 pm
@Richie I'll see if I can locate that fuse and test it, I don't see anything visably blown on the card. I brought the SCSI2SD that you suggested so hopefully that part of the SCSI on the main board works and i can live without the computer hook up.
By JUKE 179r Thu May 05, 2016 1:59 pm
Stakk wrote:Image

I don't know anything about Akai 3200XL but looking at this picture that is a crappy soldering job!
By richie Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 pm
The SCSI fuse is on the motherboard itself.
By richie Fri May 06, 2016 9:59 pm
@Fanu we're talking about a S3200XL though.

You made a S3200XL scsi fuse thread about it. I last asked if you could post pictures showing how you fixed it and it was never acknowledged. :roll:
By Fanu Mon May 09, 2016 8:37 pm
richie wrote:@Fanu we're talking about a S3200XL though.

You made a S3200XL scsi fuse thread about it. I last asked if you could post pictures showing how you fixed it and it was never acknowledged. :roll:

I cut the legs and soldered the part on them; way faster than removing the motherboard.
By jahsoul Tue May 10, 2016 3:00 am
To piggyback, I've read that as a workaround, you could connect the external SCSI to a computer and the computer would be used as somewhat of an external power source. I've bought a scsi card to test this until I can find someone to fix my 3200XL.
By keikei Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:07 pm
I got my S3200XL with the "Wait for Hard Disk, Skip" message upon boot up. Even after successfully bootup through the Floppy Desk, the actual SCSI read/write always fails.

I can confirm the F3 fuse is the culprit, and all works fine after replacing it with a regular glass filament fuse.
By keikei Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:56 am
keikei wrote:I got my S3200XL with the "Wait for Hard Disk, Skip" message upon boot up. Even after successfully bootup through the Floppy Desk, the actual SCSI read/write always fails.

I can confirm the F3 fuse is the culprit, and all works fine after replacing it with a regular glass filament fuse.

Sharing pictures of my S3200XL. Now the SKIP button works upon bootup, when I don't have any scsi drive connected.

1. Location of F3 Fuse

2. Soldering the wire to replace

3. Soldering to the fuse container box

4. Tidy the fuse box