Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By dj e.d.e Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:59 pm
DAAMN 200 thats a steal my friend. thats ILL, i got to start looking for the older equipment i grew up on too. i just dig my MPc tho it's my personal what ever you want to call it. as long as i can sample a sound,it's dope , but yeah i just dont have money any more to be gear whoring anymore...thats too much money right now.

i'm looking for a 16 4 2 mixer which are cheap these days but i cant afford one.just sitting around for deals
Last edited by dj e.d.e on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
By roxstar Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:02 pm
"A friend of mine has the 808, 909 and 303. Believe me when I tell you no sample can come close, I decided to save up for an 808 recently because all my samples of it sounds so dull and lifeless compared to the real thing. Because it is analog no sound will be the same, you wont get that with samples."

I had an 808 at my house a few years ago and I sampled it myself. I don't notice any difference in sound between the samples and the real thing when the beat is playing. Now, when I listened to the actual machine and the samples "very carefully" with the tv turned off in a nice silent room, then yes, there was a slight difference, but the difference was not enough to warrent spending $1000+ on the real machine.
When I compare my samples to those I downloaded, I notice more of a difference, but who knows what people did to the samples before they uploaded it, still though, even the "bad" samples weren't bad. They did what they needed to do; provide that OOMPH behind my sampled kicks.
Anytime I see an 808 selling on ebay, I just really hope the owner is buying it because they just want to own it. If I found one for about $100-200 bux, I would buy it, and I know I won't find one for that price, but even at $300 I would have to seriously consider it..I'd probably buy it just to sell it again.
Older equipment is overrated in general, and that goes for anything that is overpriced. As a producer, once you discover what you really need and what you really want, your gonna realize that you don't really need much at all, but not only that, your gonna figure out how to utilize your studio to sound how you need it to also.
By beach_break Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:53 pm
for all it's hype - the 808 remains underrated.
sure it may not be as fresh and new as it was in 1982, but the 808 changed everything.

it's responsible for the existence of house, techno and electro (i'm talking 'real' electro - imperial brothers and hashim, not some over-compressed, pumping european trance under another name) and it also played a rather central role in the history of hip hop.
By kneebone77 Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:49 am
bedouin wrote:When you have a love for music you do a lot of strange, pedantic things, just like car enthusiasts go after 50 year old cars and fix them up. In some ways those old cars are inefficient and outdated, but some of that inefficiency can create unique, desirable advantages.

Well Put, almost poetic...

roxstar wrote:I had an 808 at my house a few years ago and I sampled it myself. I don't notice any difference in sound between the samples and the real thing when the beat is playing.

roxstar wrote:When I compare my samples to those I downloaded, I notice more of a difference, but who knows what people did to the samples before they uploaded it,

I haven't been feelin a good 85% of the downloaded samples. My plan is to buy, sample the way I think is right, then re-sale. Or borrow, rent whatever piece I need and do the same. There still a few piece of gear that I still consider "must haves" no matter how inefficient they are!
By 64hz Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:00 pm
I am sorry Roxstar I just dont agree with you, but thats why we are human 8)
By crossings Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:06 pm
a few people here have been comparing the actual 808 to audio samples that were recorded from the 808 [which is a nice addition to the conversation]... but what i'm curious to know is how people compare the sounds from the actual 808 hardware to other pieces of roland gear that come stocked with 808 sounds amongst others [dr rhythm series, mc-303 or 505, etc]... does anyone feel like there's a cheap piece of roland gear that does a great job of emulating the 808?

while i've never used an actual 808 myself, i'll admit to finding a few of the 808 sounds from... let's say... the dr. rhythm 660 [which can be found used for $50 these days] to be more than useful... i probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference... this may be just me though.

anyone have a favorite cheap piece of gear they use as an 808 alternative? this is getting interesting...
By bedouin Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:17 pm
crossings wrote:anyone have a favorite cheap piece of gear they use as an 808 alternative? this is getting interesting...

I use a Boss DR-202, though I definitely don't know if it's the best.
By rokuez Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:18 pm
crossings wrote:
anyone have a favorite cheap piece of gear they use as an 808 alternative? this is getting interesting...

808 kit you can build http://www.eight-oh-eight.org/

an 808 is an analog drum machine so sample based machine won't have the same controls. I would stack and build the kit watch the demo video they have on their site
By Comrade Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:31 pm
i can honestly say... the best "Fake/Sampled" sounds of a 909/808 i ever heard came from the Roland MC-505.... specially with a little bit of the on-board tuning... they can thump.

Professional Roland Recording of their own product will deff come out better then some random "Sample Pack" of 909/808
By kneebone77 Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:23 pm
I once had a Roland R-8 and the Electronic card, (w/ the 808 soundset.)
I dug the sound of it, and you could detune the sounds to a ridiculous degree.
But overall I wasn't feelin the interface, so I sample all the sound and put them in the mpc-1000.
By gertie Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:51 pm
>>>>> You can buy an eprom burner off ebay for like $75 burn any samples you want have a

>>>>> get an eprom burner then you can swap in any sample and have 8-bit sound with ssm analog filters!!

does anyone have experience burning eproms....i am thinking of buying a burner but have no clue what one would actually work...any assistance much appreciated as i dont wanna end up buying one i cant use.....looking for a cheap solution...

would love to use some of these

http://www.electrongate.com/dmxfiles/downloads.html
By Ben.H Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:31 pm
bedouin,
are there any mods out there so you can have a external line in just running through those filters?
that would be a cool way to really expand the usability of that machine