Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:23 pm
I myself got one of those cf card readers (the one for 150 $) for my asr, got a couple 4 gig memcards for it.
Built in a 19" rack with a scsi cdrom (for loading asr material)
I use linux for backing up the whole 4 gig memcard on the computer (using a simple usb cardreader)

For my 3k I got an external Microtech cardreader (built in a 19" inch rack)

I like to keep scsi chains seperate, cause over the years I've only had problems with sharing scsi devices
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:37 pm
i see

thats an argument.

the one i plan on buying from s4s is internal and it the 150$ one... so hotwapable afaik.

guess if i get an ASR soon ( i fear i will do...) than i prolly should rather get a dedicated internal or external CF reader for this.

thats what you r sayin right?
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm
oh btw... is there a chance to previwe(listen) sounds from the CF cards before loading them into the ASR mem?

or same story as 3k ?

edit:

all the microtech cardreaders i can find are USB Card readers.... no clue what kind and how you use it with your mpc 3000
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:23 pm
as for sounds, same story as the mpc3000

one of these will work with the mpc3000

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPYRUS-MCDISK2-MCDI ... 53de1972a4

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCSI-CF-CARD-READER ... 56372c2a05

using the 150$ one with the asr is a good option!
Once every week I just backup the whole card (as an iso) in linux. If anything goes wrong I can just put that iso back on a similarCF card
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 pm
sounds great

man i am really almost sold on getting an ASR 10

i just wonder if i ll still need or in other words can justifiy having (expecting it this week) the not exactly inexpensve esoteric Mpc 3000 around....

how do you use these 2 together?

i mean, is the ASR Sequencer good enough? otherwise i would imagine using the MPC almost only as a Sequencer and maybe not using the pads much, as i would be after the ASR sound for my drums anyway...

i just think that i personal wont sample into 2 devices, i dunno how superior the sequencer of the mpc is but for my preference of rather tapping drums on pads than on keys i think the 3k would be absolutly overdose and some simple midi pad thingy connected to the ASR for drums only would be sufficient.... on the other hand i dunno about the pad feeling/response of those probably cheaply produced new-age midi-pad things

damn again i wish i would have started with this thing back than.

what puts me a lil bit off sequenceing the ASR with something like the MPC is that i keep reading it doesnt like to be slaved a lot and goes berserk easily...
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm
The sequencer of the asr sucks.

As for sampling, I use them both.
Most of the time it's drums from mpc and sample from ASR
Or some drums froms ASR + drums from mpc
or everything from mpc or everything from asr

they both sound great and really complement eachother.

I personally think that drums (kicks and snares) sound better from the 3000 than from the asr. (most of the time)
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:32 pm
Grouphome wrote:The sequencer of the asr sucks.

As for sampling, I use them both.
Most of the time it's drums from mpc and sample from ASR
Or some drums froms ASR + drums from mpc
or everything from mpc or everything from asr

they both sound great and really complement eachother.

I personally think that drums (kicks and snares) sound better from the 3000 than from the asr. (most of the time)

i know it gets a bit offtopic and probably i am asking too many silly questions... but in what way do you think the drums sound better on 3k?

ASR too dirty/gritty maybe?

as for the sequencer.. i thought so... so slaving the ASR to the 3k hasnt been an issue to you?

thanks!
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:34 pm
not to gritty,
drums from the asr sound a bit rounder to me
I think drums from the 3000 have more "bite" to it
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:36 pm
as for the sequencer of the 3k (or any mpc) I've got 20 soundmodules/samplers connected to my mpc(s) through midi.
Using them all together when needed.
No problems whatsoever
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm
ok i most likley go that route than 3k + asr10

there is just one thing someone previously asked aswell wich i burn to get an answer to aswell.

is it without troubles possible to use the mpc(3k) as the main sequencer, slave ASR10 and Logic 8 to it, and play at the same time when sketching/recording/mixing drums samples that are located in the ASR through the mpc pads?
and also being able to trigger the same an other samples on the ASR at the same time(with its keys) + trigger eventually drum samples located in the mpc with the mpc pads(without any setup changes)?

sorry you may have to read that twice :mrgreen:

i figure if that works, it wont be easy to find out how to set it up, so if you feel like, a simple cable+menue setup for both menues mpc3k + ASR10 (+Logic) would be highly apreciated...

or if a walkthrough for this setup is really to be found in the links and you know the place, a link will do fine of course

thank you very much so far for the input and time you ve put in
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:43 pm
midi out (ASR) to midi in 1 on mpc3000
midi out a (mpc) to ASR midi in
Midi out (computer) to Midi in 2 on mpc)
and Midi out b (mpc) to midi in on the computer.

That way you use the mpc as main sequencer, and you can use sounds from logic (as vsti's, au instruments etc)
at the same time use sounds from your asr.

on the mpc youve got to select the midi output (1-16A,1-16B,1-16C, 1-16D, A is the ASR and B is the computer)
That is as far as i'm willing to go today.

The rest you can find in the manuals of each machine.
As far as how to setup Logic,I cannot tell you at the moment, been a while since i've worked with logic. So I have to be behind logic to tell you wat to do.

What you fisrt need to do is learn the basics of midi. Just google it.
Midi is the key thing to understand for you to be able to use al those machines together
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:28 pm
you are fantastic mate

thanks a lot.. will be some days until i can start set it up but than i can come back to this basic intro.

yeh, thing with logic is i used it as master with the mpc1000 i think... wich of course dont want to do with the unique mpc3000 Seqeuncer characteristics... but i lll figure that out / bother someone else with it :mrgreen:

in adition to your connection explanation i found that in teh ASR one has to select Midi mode "MULTI" (for everybody else who is about to hook up this kidn of setup)

and again, vielen Dank