Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By ion Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:04 am
i still dont get the idea somehow... about what i would actually use for sampling when mpc+asr are in the house... if the asr has a better mpre creamy,thick sound... would you sample into the mpc still at all???

i guess you could aswell trigger the drums that are sampled to the asr from the mpc pads!?
By Lampdog Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:11 am
ion wrote:i still dont get the idea somehow... about what i would actually use for sampling when mpc+asr are in the house... if the asr has a better mpre creamy,thick sound... would you sample into the mpc still at all???

i guess you could aswell trigger the drums that are sampled to the asr from the mpc pads!?

Yes, you can trigger pads/keys on each machine internally or externally.

You don't have to choose which one to sample into, you can sample into both or just one if you like.

You can also run the mpc mainouts through the asr10 active input and use the asr10 as a 2 channel mixer. Therefore
ASR10 mainouts will play both ASR and MPC audioouts, freeing up 2 channels on your audio interface/soundcard and
that gives you the option of using ASR10 effects on MPC audio.
By Lampdog Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:13 am
Fosugary wrote:Good looking mang...Are you familar with connecting the asr10 up to mpc 2000 classic via midi?

No problem.

It's been discussed in detail here on the board somewhere recently (past month or so).
You'll have to search for it.
By ion Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:38 am
[quote="ion"]i still dont get the idea somehow... about what i would actually use for sampling when mpc+asr are in the house... if the asr has a better mpre creamy,thick sound... would you sample into the mpc still at all???

i guess you could aswell trigger the drums that are sampled to the asr from the mpc pads!?[/quote

i see thanks... but i dont see the advantage of having both and ampling to both somehow... mayb i just dont gt the pictures but sounds like extra work etc!?

anyway.... the most logical setup i could draw in my head i useing the mpc for its groove and timing to sequene the ASR and to play the drums sampled to the ADR on Mpc pads, while playing some other sample on its keys...

i just dont see a need to buy something expensive and boutique as an MPC 3000 anymore what i planed to do.. but if i end up not using its Converters etc...

i am not even sure i wil get an ASR but its tempting

also can you guys who know it well tell me how good the keys are compared to some weighted 88 keys etc?
i know there is an ASR88 aswell
By Grouphome Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 pm
The asr and 3000 sound different.
You get a certain sound from the 3000 and something else from the asr.
Use them together to get a blend of the 2.
Sort of best of both worlds.
By ion Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:38 pm
okay but besdies the sound and the deeper sample edit posibilities nothing right?

well i think i will skip it for now as i fear having 2 samplers would confuse me and compilcate my workflow...

on the other hand i could replace my 88 key with this one and use it as a masterkeyboard aswell :/
By mp3 Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm
ion,

Nobody can tell you how to use two samplers together, or whether you should. You have to want to do it and then you have to do it. That's the only way to see if its for you.

We spelled out the advantages to using an ASR next to your MPC. If you don't get it, then there's nothing anyone here can do for you. What exactly are you asking for?
By Lampdog Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:30 pm
ion wrote:deeper sample edit posibilities nothing right?

It e-sounds like you say that in an e-passive voice but the asr is a full fledged sampler.
3k is not.

Like mp3 said, you can get one or both and figure out how you wanna use them and figure out what works for you.
Me, I'd have no problem making beats on the asr keys. I can roll with either or both for drums. Keys, I'll have to use the kybd though. Timing, I'd use the mpc. That's just me though, use the gear and season to your own tastes.
By thebeatbreaks Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:01 pm
Great post, lot of good info in there.

JaeOne3345 wrote:If you have scsi, don't sleep on chicken translator. I use it to convert whole folders of wav drums into efe files (ensoniq instruments) in addition to backing up my beats to the pc/mac. The latest versions read floppy with the help of an omniflop floppy driver.

Just downloaded Chicken Translator...it is the truth.

I had some CDs Ensoniq formatted but no SCSI CD-ROM, I was able to extract all the instruments.

I'm going to start backing up my beats and converting wav's to efe's.

Madd love for the ASR.
By markmorgan10 Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 pm
thebeatbreaks wrote:
Madd love for the ASR.

+1

These are just brilliant machines. Happy to put up with a lot of their quirks, but I do wish they'd read wav's natively.

Translator also gets my vote. A superb product. As a quick additional question, to any ASR-88 users out there. How good is the keyboard action on the unit. Is it proper weighted, is it anything like a piano - or do modern full size controllers have a much better feel.
I ask as I may be able to get an asr-88, but it won't come cheap...
Mark
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:28 pm
i wonder that i dont read about it, doesnt anyone have his ASR updated with the SCSIforSamplers Card drive?

and a bit offtopic question:

if i get an 3k and ASR-10 and buy ONE internal crad reader from ScsiforSamplers, could i somehow manage to save/load for both devices anyway?

like maybe transfering through midi to the other?

i guess thats not possible hu?
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:47 pm
If you get a normal cardreader (not the cheap one from that site)
you should be able to do that.
Only problem is booting up, cause one wrong move and you will mess up the scsi part of your mpc.
If by any chance you were loading from the cardreader and you tried accessing it from the asr, you will have to reboot both machines (cause the asr lost its scsi connection)
By ion Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:03 pm
please elaborate... sounds dangerous :shock:

you are saying that i actaully could use one card reader to load/save for both units?

so the ScsiforSamplers one is not capable of doing so because?

because its internal?

i dont know what other kidn of CR you have in mind

i am not ued to Scsi stuff, but on the side they say they will provide a CF card with the boot information for the ASR 10 on it!?
By Grouphome Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:18 pm
youve got 2 different cardreaders that s4s sells.
one is the cheaper one. that goes for bout 100 $. That one you cannot hotswap (meaning when turned on you cannot switch the card for another one, the asr will give you an error if you do so)
It will not work cause it's basically an IDE turned Scsi one. A basic CF to IDE to SCSI converter.
The other one is a full scsi one, that one you can hotswap.
You could get an external one and place that one between the mpc and the asr.
I don't have an internal scsi drive in my own mpc3000 (nor have I installed one in other 3000s) so I don't know how the scsi chain inside the 3000 works.

As i'm checking scsi4samplers right now I notice they don't sell the expensive one anymore (looks like they ran out of stock)