Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By JUKE 179r Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:36 pm
Good info Lamp! Cheers!

here are some other sites I check out for the ASR-10...

UNIFlash... card reader for Ensoniq samplers
http://www.2av.com.ua/indexe.htm

Cheap but very good memory I bought for my ASR-10... $3.98 a stick!!!!!!
http://www.memoryx.net/pc7-2592.html
By Grouphome Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:00 am
Damn, finally i've got time to sample with my asr10 again(rack)
now I keep getting problems chopping stereo samples.
Normally I just copy the wave parameters, but now when I do that it only copies 1 of the 2 wavesamples.
It used to work. What am I doing wrong (stereo layer link is turned on)
By Grouphome Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:17 pm
I got the ASR10r with a Seagate scsi harddrive and a Yamaha scsi cdrom player.
This setup worked like a charm until my cdrom drive died.
So now I got a Plextor PX40tsi as a replacement.
Whenever I connect them both the ASR wont boot from the harddrive.
If I only connect the cdrom (and use a floppy for the OS) I can use the cdrom.
Also when I only connect the harddrive, everything works fine.
Can anyone help me with this?
By ion Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 pm
could someone enlight me about how this thing (ASR 10) is used best together with an mpc ?

-how would you sync the stuff for example to an mpc 3000 + mac running logic 8 ?

i never sequenced HW with the mpc, is that what would be done in this case?

actually a question that bugs me...: if you can do beats and samples just fine on this mashine

where is the advantage using it with an mpc? (besides pads of course wich i also prefer for drums no question!)

hope to learn something about this mashine

i understand that this is an 8 bit sampler with analog filters right?
By mp3 Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 pm
ion wrote:i never sequenced HW with the mpc, is that what would be done in this case?

Yeah, given the fact that the ASR is hardware...

ion wrote:actually a question that bugs me...: if you can do beats and samples just fine on this mashine

where is the advantage using it with an mpc? (besides pads of course wich i also prefer for drums no question!)

They complement eachother well. The ASR is a sampler first with a decent sequencer thrown in. The MPC is a sequencer first with a decent sampler thrown in.

ion wrote:i understand that this is an 8 bit sampler with analog filters right?

You're thinking of the Mirage. The ASR-10 is a 16 bit sampler with digital filters.

But you could also do like lamp suggested and

Follow the links and find out somewhere :lol:

Sorry I couldn't resist... :P
By ion Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:34 pm
yes what i check on YT so far definitly got me interested... i should have started with this thing when i frist entered the sampling game 9 years ago... very inspiring mashine...

but.. yes what exactly would i need this for when using a MPC 3000 ?

i can play instrument samples on the pads aswell, and certainly prefer Pads for drums, playing drums on keys never felt to good for me.

what are the hidden advantages of this beast?

and when you say sounds a lot diff than mpc3k.... try to decribe please

man after all these years of unproductive DAW Sequencer attempts trying to finish some music, i feel so much dragged away from freakin Logic & co and so much dragged to these old dinosaurs
By mp3 Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:50 pm
ion wrote:what are the hidden advantages of this beast?

Well, put it to you this way, if you keep your sample game simple (basic loops and chops) then you won't find much advantage in the ASR. ASR stands for Advanced Sampling Recorder. Its strength is advanced sampling (and the effects are outstanding). Which is the MPC's weaknesses - simplistic sampling, weak (or no) effects.

ion wrote:and when you say sounds a lot diff than mpc3k.... try to decribe please

They're opposites in that respect too. The best I can do, as far as putting sound qualities into words would be that the MPC sounds mid-forward and bass-light, and the highs are a bit harsh. The ASR, on the other hand has a creamy highs and a kind of mid-scooped sound with plenty of bass. It really thickens and enhances any sound you put in it.

ion wrote:man after all these years of unproductive DAW Sequencer attempts trying to finish some music, i feel so much dragged away from freakin Logic & co and so much dragged to these old dinosaurs

I know that feeling all too well. I went from an SP and an ASR in the late 90's to Logic, and then back to an MPC and ASR in the mid 2000's.

If you wanna dabble in the ASR range, you could start off with an ASR-X, since they're a lot cheaper second hand.
By ion Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:22 pm
oh well thx mate now you really got me hooked up!

creamy hights and large low-end / thickening is of course what we all like dont we? i have special gear for that like Pm1000 and ADR Compex (the absolute drum mangeler!) but nothign like the ASR of course

ok... well i dont think i could go with the ASR only instead of MPC simply because of playing beats on keys...

but i still trying to sketch in my head how i would use both of these units together....
if you have both, what would you sample through etc? if you seriously say the mpc sounds rather "thin" compared to the ASR 10... would you still sample your drums into the mpc?

or would you sample everyhting into the ADR, play some sequences there and have it slaved to the MPC for timing and Sequencer and playing drums that are actually located in the ASR with the MPC Pads???

like that?
By Fosugary Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:30 pm
Good looking mang...Are you familar with connecting the asr10 up to mpc 2000 classic via midi?

If so can you walk me through it,,I can't figure it out...

I do know Asr out > < In Mpc
Mpc out > < In Asr 10

I think.... but i don't know what to set up inside the machines as far as midi ..I hear the sounds from mpc..But I want the asr 10 for the samples and the mpc for the drums.Basically I want evrything to be synced in timing and I want to press one button that will trigger the asr 10 and mpc at the same time....

BTW thanks for this post...Lamp Dogg