Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fung45 Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:52 pm
indivisibleProductions wrote:
The Mikos/Nekos are much more then computers with a built in midi controller....Its a all-in-one box solution....You can produce, record, mix, master all in one....If you don't see the appeal in that then I don't know what to tell ya....There is a reason way cats like Timbo, Polow, Teddy Riley, Tim & Bob, Trackmasters, ect. use this thing almost exclousively!!!!

If you really believe guys like Timbo and Teddy Riley use these 'exclousively' then you've been duped. It's called an endorsement deal and all those cats you just listed were no doubt handed a big sack with a dollar sign on it after shooting whatever youtube clip you're referring to.
By indivisibleProductions Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:59 pm
I think some people have an uncontrollable need to hate things that are out of their realm to own. I think that is what some of the comments really boil down to.

Ha, it is not "hating." It is people being realistic. The thread started said this is going to "KILL THE GAME!"

People are replying appropriately to that, because it is not going to kill anything, except the few people's pockets that choose to buy one.

It looks like a great machine and I'm sure works great for making music. But as most people know, all-in-one solutions are never as good as having all the different pieces.

And its not "hating" for people to point out that they already have most of the stuff this comes with. If you've already got a computer with software, midi controller, interface, and sounds, and its working for you, why would you want to pickup something that has everything you already have in one? Unless you just have lots of money you can burn...

The one benefit I could see to something like this is that all-in-one stuff is great for live shows, but seeing the size and weight of this thing, I dont think I'd want to drag this thing around to shows...Shit, I'd rather just take a MV8000...even that bigass thing is smaller than this..

The Mikos/Nekos are much more then computers with a built in midi controller....Its a all-in-one box solution....You can produce, record, mix, master all in one....If you don't see the appeal in that then I don't know what to tell ya....There is a reason way cats like Timbo, Polow, Teddy Riley, Tim & Bob, Trackmasters, ect. use this thing almost exclousively!!!!

I believe it is great to produce on. But recording, mixing, and mastering? First off, mastering on it would be a joke. Ask any mastering engineer. Recording and mixing is probably fine if you don't care much for audio quality, because its running off a Presonus interface. Presonus makes low quality preamps and converters. Maybe if they threw an Apogee interface in there I would be more interested...

Lastly, none of those artists use this thing exclusively...not that it would matter to me if they did though... Timbo uses any and everything he can get his hands on, Polow uses mostly software anyway, and Trakmasters use hardware and software
By ONE Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:03 pm
I still think it's hating. The ONLY real concern here is price tag. If it was affordable I think people would be a lot more apt to be positive about it, and would probably be looking to purchase one to replace a lot of their gear, including the MPC.

The fact that cats have been having wet dreams about a machine like this, and now one comes along, and the vast majority of the feedback is negative? Come on now. People are looking for reasons to hate it, probably so they won't want what they can't have.
By hydroslanger Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:05 pm
I think everyone agrees that the niko is **** sick. its just that when would you get one of these? If you are just starting off you go for different pieces of gear that you want and a lot of times switch gear till you are comfortable. I dont think any new producer is going to spend 5 or 6g without knowing if its going to be a for fun or lifelong thing. Then, once you really get into producing, you have all the pieces which = niko. So either you can sell all of the stuff that you know inside and out to get this, take out a loan, or save up for one on the side. No one said it was bad, it might be better than what we have in the studio. Its just I cant see a time when I will have an extra 5g, and if I did, it would go to many other things that need to be taken care of like getting CDs made, buying records....
By LaJProd Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm
Not to sound like a dick (even tho thats porbably how this is going to come off) but please correct me on sh!t I don't know, not sh!t I do!!!!

I think some of you are having trouble reading what I wrote....I said "ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY" meaning that the Miko/Neko is usually at the center of the operation....Does that mean that thats all they use?, of course not....

Fung45 wrote:If you really believe guys like Timbo and Teddy Riley use these 'exclousively' then you've been duped. It's called an endorsement deal and all those cats you just listed were no doubt handed a big sack with a dollar sign on it after shooting whatever youtube clip you're referring to.

No, I have not been duped at all....Of course cats like Timbo where paid, sh!t there was a TSE Miko/Neko....That doesn't mean sh!t to me....I happen to know that who I listed uses it....Please don't make assumptions that I am referring to some youtube clip either....
indivisibleProductions wrote:I believe it is great to produce on. But recording, mixing, and mastering? First off, mastering on it would be a joke. Ask any mastering engineer. Recording and mixing is probably fine if you don't care much for audio quality, because its running off a Presonus interface. Presonus makes low quality preamps and converters. Maybe if they threw an Apogee interface in there I would be more interested...

Do you know how many "professional" mastering engineers use windows PCs?...Wanna take a guess at what OS the Miko/Nekos run on?...It would hardly be a joke if you consider how some songs are mixed and mastered these days....Do you know how many songs that are out and on the radio that were "mastered" with nothing but a little maxim on a master fader in pro tools?...More then you would probably believe....

As for the interface issue, you can load virtually any program that can run on windows in there....So if you have a Digi 003 (for example) you could hook that up and use that interface....No one is forcing you to do every musical task in it but, if need be, it could be done!!!!
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:52 pm
well first of all, if you keep your eye on open labs' website occasionally they have deals and specials (they had a miko for $2500 at one point)

and anyways it isn't hard to get an endorsement deal with open labs... Hell I got an offer from them..

If you are considering one, and you are an established musician/music group who is at least somewhat active then email them and they will probably endorse you giving you a good discount.
By SMC Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:18 pm
I saw it, and I'm not impressed, their VP told be in october that the January release would have MOTORIZED 100MM FADERS.....

what are those..... 60? Professional is 120.

pfffffffff

Also, he said they were working on an edition with 'riser cards' to accomodate Pro Tools HD. I can't believe htey had a Presonus interface in it LOL what a joke

So far I haven't seen anything he promised.

I told him once they have at least NINE 100MM motorized faders (bankable of course) and a chassis to handle HD, I'd take one for $5K and so would my guy in Chicago.

That'd be SO worth it for traveling live gigs for stuff like festivals n whatever, or when on the road and you just want a setup along????
Custom case with horizontally stacked rack space for 192 I/O's and a center pull out tray with a keyboard and trackball!!!!!! OOOOOO EEEEEEEE

Yezzir, I'd be all over it.

And Mimmik? genius. I need to see if I can buy JUST the software. genious. Slow, but genius.

Other than that tho, till they come thru..... not impressed
By Fung45 Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:50 pm
LaJProd wrote:
Fung45 wrote:If you really believe guys like Timbo and Teddy Riley use these 'exclousively' then you've been duped. It's called an endorsement deal and all those cats you just listed were no doubt handed a big sack with a dollar sign on it after shooting whatever youtube clip you're referring to.

No, I have not been duped at all....Of course cats like Timbo where paid, sh!t there was a TSE Miko/Neko....That doesn't mean sh!t to me....I happen to know that who I listed uses it...

I never said the people you listed don't use it, but you said 'exclousively'. I was just disagreeing with the 'exclousively' part.
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:53 pm
Fung45 wrote:
LaJProd wrote:

No, I have not been duped at all....Of course cats like Timbo where paid, sh!t there was a TSE Miko/Neko....That doesn't mean sh!t to me....I happen to know that who I listed uses it...

I never said the people you listed don't use it, but you said 'exclousively'. I was just disagreeing with the 'exclousively' part.

well lil jon uses the miko but even he admitted to the open labs guy that the machine couldn't replace his mpc at this point.
By indivisibleProductions Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:58 pm
Do you know how many songs that are out and on the radio that were "mastered" with nothing but a little maxim on a master fader in pro tools?...More then you would probably believe....

Sorry, but you are wrong. I work in the industry. Post some proof of ANY commericial release that was "mastered" with Maxim on a master fader and I'll paypal you $1000 tonight.

You are talking out of your ass to try and help your point in here. You obviously don't know what mastering really involves, let alone "professional mastering."
By mr_debauch Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 pm
indivisibleProductions wrote:
Do you know how many songs that are out and on the radio that were "mastered" with nothing but a little maxim on a master fader in pro tools?...More then you would probably believe....

Sorry, but you are wrong. I work in the industry. Post some proof of ANY commericial release that was "mastered" with Maxim on a master fader and I'll paypal you $1000 tonight.

You are talking out of your ass to try and help your point in here. You obviously don't know what mastering really involves, let alone "professional mastering."

ouch.. I believe the technical term for that was "you got served" ... (remember that? hahaha)