Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By LvngDead Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:47 pm
I don't get why some people leave their equipment on for days.

not just equipment, but shit like laptops and TV's as well.

If you're not watching it or wont use it at all today, then turn it the **** off.
By SV1200 Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm
Call me crazy but let me know if yall have experienced this. The red asrx pro, seemed to bug out more for me the black ones w/ the latest OS (2.67).

I owned and used a couple of the red ones, and the sequencer would glitch more & the floppy drive would NEVER accept my old EPS or ASR10 disks. Got a black one cheap, and its been butter, no issues. From my understanding the asrx pro adds some more effects and functions then the black 2.67 OS. But essentially its the same boards. I wonder if the add'd functions bog down on the processor more, or maybe its just freak luck my black one works so well.

Also, were Asr's (asr10/asrx) the first samplers to be able to sample while the sequencer is running? It has to be. Shows how ahead of of the game Ensoniq was.
By nowaysj Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:33 pm
Way back when, I owned the black one. I had no problems with it. A few years ago I bought the red one, and yes it is glitchy.
By v00d00ppl Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:36 pm
SV1200 wrote:Call me crazy but let me know if yall have experienced this. The red asrx pro, seemed to bug out more for me the black ones w/ the latest OS (2.67).

I owned and used a couple of the red ones, and the sequencer would glitch more & the floppy drive would NEVER accept my old EPS or ASR10 disks. Got a black one cheap, and its been butter, no issues. From my understanding the asrx pro adds some more effects and functions then the black 2.67 OS. But essentially its the same boards. I wonder if the add'd functions bog down on the processor more, or maybe its just freak luck my black one works so well.

Also, were Asr's (asr10/asrx) the first samplers to be able to sample while the sequencer is running? It has to be. Shows how ahead of of the game Ensoniq was.

The EPS Classic was th first Ensoniq board to do so, but it was rarely used because most attention was paid to it's sound engine and memory limitations
By Floating Fluids Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:08 am
I got an ASR X Pro (red) which i am triggering with an mpc 2000 xl.

so far it is super dope to use the effects on the asr while sampling, resample with added effects, reduce bit rate and so on. it´s really fresh!

i got one question though:
when i am triggering with the 2000 xl and an sample from the asr x is playing longer than the mpc´s sequence it just cuts off. it does not continue playing with the loop. so the triggered samples can not overlap one sequence without getting cut off.

how can i solve this issue?
By firework Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:25 pm
I just copped my second ASR-X pro for 250.00

Had sold my firs one, this one is not going NO WHERE.

Midi to my mp4k
By slomough Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 am
I have one as well. I love how you can use the envelope 2 to modulate the filter cut off in the pad edits. I feel that it's a little more precise too because of the two ramp functions. That's just me. the turntable speaker is pretty ill too.
By LvngDead Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 pm
slomough wrote: the turntable speaker is pretty ill too.

yesss!

anyone know how to get notes to not cut off when a sequence loops back to the beginning?
By mp3 Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 pm
Diggin this thread up, just copped another X Pro. Can't wait to get it, its my favorite sampler of all time.

Tip:
If you take a sample and stretch it across the whole keyboard, most people think you lose the ability to edit all the sample parameters (filters, envelopes, modulation, looping, etc) that you can edit for a sample on a single pad in a RAM Kit. The X/X Pro is limited as far as what you can do from the front panel, but there is a workaround for this one.

Basically what you wanna do is assign your sample to a RAM kit (which is the basic process that happens when you record a sample and put it on a pad) and use the RAM Kit to edit all the parameters. Then assign the same sample to another track using 'Track Sound'.

So you will sample your sound and place it on a pad on, say, track 1. Next you will go to track 2 and assign that same sample to that track. Press the Track Sound button, scroll over to "RAM Sounds", and select your sample. Now if you go back to track 1 and edit the parameters of the pad that has the sample, the changes will be reflected on Track 2. That means you DO have full access to all the filters, envelopes, looping, modulation etc., basically all the pad edit parameters, as opposed to just being limited to the track edit parameters.
By mp3 Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 pm
Another tip: If you sample the noise floor and normalize it, you have a nice waveform to make a bass sound from. Just slap a lowpass (or bandpass) filter on it to filter out all the highs and bingo. Assign it to track 2 like the tip above, tune it to the same key as your sample, and you're set.
By Willis Reed Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:02 pm
Does anyone know or have tried the following??
Because of the knobs getting all "jittery", has anyone ever tried using a midi-controller to control te parameters via CC, thus avoid using the asr-x's knobs?
I wonder if I could use a mpd32 or something for the knobs and the pads as I don't find the asr-x's pads very comfortable.
thanks....
By mp3 Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:32 pm
You can't access all the parameters via CC. You also can't select samples to edit via MIDI pads. So yeah you can trigger samples and record sequences and use CCs with the MPD, you'll still need to use the X's knobs and pads for editing purposes.

The knobs are fixable: http://www.helpwantedproductions.com/asrx/asrxenc.htm
(note: you'll need part #318-ENC160F-24P, the part number listed in that guide is unavailable)

I've done the fix (and I'm about to do it again with my new X pro), its easy, the hardest part is desoldering the old knobs out. Take your time with that, because you could mess the PCB up if you try and force them out.
By Willis Reed Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:54 pm
Yeah, I thought so....
It's just that I read about some people using the knobs on a Behringer BCN-44 controller to control the ASR-X, so I wondered.
Just to scared of soldering, I guess.....
By Floating Fluids Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 pm
Hi there,

I am using the Ensoniq ASR X Pro for quiet some while now.
I am saving on ZIP discs and currently there appeared an annoying error.

The ASR can´t load the .mfb files anymore. So i can´t load the full sessions files without trouble.
I got around the problem by loading the single files and then saving the newly arranged song as an session file.... on a new disc.
BUT the same message when i am trying to load again and again... "can´t load .mfb or .sbx!!!

I am getting crazy! I can´t continue working on my projects...

Thanks,
Ferdinand