Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By rokuez Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:23 am
use cassette in and out to save your sequences / samples instead of floppies....

when u have a session in ure daw make a track that u keep muted, when ure saving the session, just track out the sample/sequencer data of the sp into that muted track.

if you overwrite the user banks ure samples will stay when the sp is turned on and off

BUT if you overwrite the built in drum rom sounds with ure own samples.... well then those samples will be erased by the built in drum rom sounds next time u turn it on....

also sp 12 sounds better then the 1200. I did a A/B test with same sequence and same samples, and the 12 sounded better probably because of the power supply differences

check out these sp 1200 mods http://www.meta-design.jp/modify_18.html

also i think sp 12 build in drum rom sounds (which are the same as the drumulator sounds) sound better then drumulator
By deck daddy Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:48 am
Posted today at the SP1200 forum:

RHYTHM MONSTER wrote:If yall want to change out your sounds on the SP-12 I got some kits made up for sale. If you want your own custom kits you can peep my thread on this site detailing how YOU can do it or you can email me if you need a custom kit built.

Here are the kits:

8-Bit Kit - Lo-Fi digital and video game noises w/ bass tone
Funky Kit - Real drum sounds as an alternate kit to the stock
Hip-Hop Kit A - Vinyl sampled drums w/ 808 boom
Hip-Hop Kit B - ""
Hip-Hop Kit C - ""
Hip-Hop Kit D - "" w/ Bass stab (no 808)
Lo-Tech Analog Kit - Old analog drum machine shit like Roland CR series
Old School Kit - Old digital drum machine shit like DX & LINN w/808 boom
TR-809 Kit - A blend of Roland 808/909 drum machines
World Percussion Kit - Hand drums, bongos and various perc.

Here is a zip of all the demos, every available sound is featured.
sp12mp3s.zip - 3.97MB

These kits were crafted to be easily swappable with one another and the kits can even be blended together to your taste.

Any 1 kit is $25, all ten for $200, custom kits for $50 each. Free shipping worldwide.

Hit me up at contactmikep AT msn DOT com peace.

http://sp1200.myfastforum.org/about833.html
By Lotuz Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 am
rokuez wrote:BUT if you overwrite the built in drum rom sounds with ure own samples.... well then those samples will be erased by the built in drum rom sounds next time u turn it on....

I had forgotten you can overwrite the built in sounds. Thanks for reminding me. :)

But will the sounds that have overwritten the built in sounds be saved when you save sounds through the cassette out to your computer? In other words can you save and load all sounds or can you only save and load the sounds of the user bank?
By J2kxl Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:37 am
Thanks all for your thoughts. I love this machine already, real simple, user friendly, but has a lot more features than I thought it would eg: dynamic buttons off, step seq, time correct off. prolley lots more I havn't found yet.

It seems to be in really good condition. Seller told me 1 of the sliders was broken but it seems to be working fine now (sometimes I swear machines just need a little love). Scored it for $500 NZD turbo.

deck daddy wrote:If I get an SP12 (I got the 1200) I'll follow the thread on 1200 forums on how to change the internal sounds to my own favorite ones, like a couple of bass notes, some hype, a sub boom kick and such.

So I can erase stock sounds and record my own in?

deck daddy wrote:What's good with the SP12 is that you can save beats by recording a single track from the cassette out to your computer, minidisc etc. Don't have to mess with floppies (tho' I love them floppies)!

Dope. I'll have to try this, have seen the thread somewhere in the forums.
By J2kxl Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:40 am
Can you midi this up with the mp to play seq together our just trigger pads?
By Lotuz Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:51 am
See chapter 6 of the manual. Check if the MPC features the same sync method.
By fasttrackpimp Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:02 am
J2kxl wrote:Can you midi this up with the mp to play seq together our just trigger pads?

I know on the 1200 atleast you can sync to the mpc so you can atleast use the mpc pads to trigger the sp sounds. I saw a video of mr.walt from beatminerz doing that with his 3k and sp1200.
By deck daddy Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:00 am
I have a MPC PGM-file setup so that pad bank A & B on the MPC trigger all pads on the four banks of the 1200. Would probably work with the 12 as well: I guess the pads have the same MIDI-numbers. I have tried it for fun, but I like to do everything in one machine instead. I dig the SP's sequencer.
By sensei Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:13 am
Another thing which people may or may not want to try.

Run samples in just a little hot. Enough for the SP12 to say "sample overload".

This gives you a little bit more crunch.

And for those of you with ableton.

Record your drums into Ableton load them into your favourite VST sampler.

Assign each SP12 drum sample to its own track and apply the saturator plugin and then experiment with the settings.

This can give some crazy crunch/fatness.

Also experiment with the sounds you put in the SP. Certain drums sounds work better than others.

It won't make a sh.t sample sound good but it won't necessarily make a good sample sound better.
Last edited by sensei on Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By deck daddy Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:44 am
sensei wrote:It won't make a sh.t sample sound good but it won't necessarily make a good sample sound better.

I actually think it does make drum samples sound much better, but that's my taste.
By sensei Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:28 am
deck daddy wrote:
sensei wrote:It won't make a sh.t sample sound good but it won't necessarily make a good sample sound better.

I actually think it does make drum samples sound much better, but that's my taste.

You might be missing my point.

All I was trying to say is that certain drums with certain/specific timbres seem to respond exponentially better or rather, more dramatically than others.

Some drums when sampled through the SP12 there sound is not siginificatly different to the original while others have their sound altered quite significantly.

The majority of people who sample will tell you "put sh.t in, get sh.t out". Choose the right samples.

The SP isn't alchemy.
By deck daddy Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:55 am
sensei wrote:Some drums when sampled through the SP12 there sound is not siginificatly different to the original while others have their sound altered quite significantly.

The majority of people who sample will tell you "put sh.t in, get sh.t out". Choose the right samples.

The SP isn't alchemy.

Agreed, but it's still a bit more "sh*t in - less sh*t out" too me, regarding the 1200 and the drums I use.

I think this classic "sh*t-saying" is more true with the MPC's which are "cleaner" as they don't color the sound as much as the SP. And since I like the way the SP color the sound, I think it's less sh*t that comes out. It's note pure gold, but not too far from it when you work it right!
By sensei Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:58 am
deck daddy wrote:
sensei wrote:Agreed, but it's still a bit more "sh*t in - less sh*t out" too me, regarding the 1200 and the drums I use.

I think the MPC's are more sterile and don't color the sound like the SP, and since I like the sound color of the SP, I think it's more. It's note pure gold that comes out, but not far from it when you work it right!

I'm with you on this man. We're definitely on the same page. :D

Sometimes it is close to pure gold though.

Tracking the SP12 through some pres with nice transformers can also bring out some more character.
By master-ceo Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:24 pm
Great Thread. Bookmarked!