Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By 14k Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:16 am
I searched several pages and didn't see a post on this, so if it's a repeat...excuse!
Anyway, Open Labs has got a new MPC/MV-style workstation that I hear is out of this world! It's even got ipod docks on it! A few of the Mods from MV Nation did a live broadcast with Open Labs last week...and I must say I was impressed with this new box! I used to turn my nose up at Open Labs, but they are starting to do the things Akai and Roland won't! Does anyone here have an opinion on it ....or have tried it out yet! Holla Back!

CPU
3.0 GHz Intel® Core2 Duo
Control Surfaces
Trackball with 2 buttons
Mix/Edit Controls BumpMP
DJ Panel with Penny & GilesTM Crossfader

Memory
4 GB (expandable)

Audio I/O
Comprehensive I/O capable of up to 24bit / 96KHz audio with 4 in / 6 out including 2 phantom-powered mic-pres with instrument inputs, S/PDIF I/O and
MIDI I/O;

Storage
320 Gigabyte Drive
High Speed Dual-Layer 8.5GB/disc CD/DVD Burner

Display
12" resistive touch screen
Connection
Midi In/Out
1) 4 USB 2.0 ports
2) (1) FireWire 400 port
3) (1) Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet port
4) (1) DVI-I Video Port

Included Software
Open Labs Riff
AbletonTM Live 7 (available only on DBeat PRO)
REAPERTM
GURUTM
DeckadanceTM
PREMIUM Factory Sound Library
Thousands of high-quality sounds. DBeat PRO includes an additional 14 GB from the full-feature version of AbletonTM Live 7. (Check our Software Bundle webpage for more information)

Dimensions:
26”(W) X 14”(D) X 5”(H), Weight (base configuration) 20 lbs. (Actual)
33”(W) X 19”(D) X 9”(H), Weight (base configuration) 33 lbs. (Shipping)

WEBSITE: CLICK HERE! For more specs and video footage! :wink:
By 14k Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 am
master-ceo wrote:My Neck would be hurting. You will have to hook a External monitor up to that.

It does have connections for an external monitor if you just happen to have one you're not using! :wink:
By Marek2kxl Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:27 am
any instrument with an Ipod bay fitted looks akward to me.....

Never used one though...... seems very overpriced to me..

It runs on windows right ? I remember using this Mackie DXB console which also didn;t have it's own OS and just ran on Windows, and it was probably one of the worst mixers I've ever used....

http://www.synthtopia.com/images/Mackie_dXb200.png

Like someone said before why not get a laptop and decent contoller when your working on software.... plus Im sure the fan is damn noisy, usually is on machines like this.... and you couldn't isolate it anywhere because it pretty much is your controller too...

It looks to me as the new "It" thing....because they have timbaland and others cosigning on the machine it seems like every kid with aspirations to be a "producer" wants one for christmas... usually fads like this fade out....

Although it is def convenient to have all your saved work on one device but that is not the way I prefer to work.... I like to use certain tools that do 1 or 2 things very well and an other tool that does a few other things very well instead of having everything cramped in one machine for convenience... just my 2 cents Im not saying this is a bad piece of gear as I never used one... but it doesn't look aesthetically pleasing to me, and it is expensive....
By mjames4208 Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 pm
Open Labs are the Truth!
I was a doubting thomas at one time,
but now I'm rocking the NeKo LX5 and LOVING IT!
I haven't seen a laptop that can handle what Open Labs
products can handle, period. Also, these machines are future proof.
PLUS One on One tech support ( they actually will take control of your gear and
configure it for you ONLINE). you can put ANY windows based VST's & VSTi's
in them..... UNLIMITED! their are folks with over a millions sound on their Miko's and Neko's.
Open Labs entry level machines are more powerful than Yamaha, Roland, & Korg's
top of the line machines.

check this video out from the 30min mark..... over 500 tracks without an HICKUP!
what laptop can do this?

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1978854
By 14k Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:35 pm
mjames4208 wrote:Open Labs are the Truth!
I was a doubting thomas at one time,
but now I'm rocking the NeKo LX5 and LOVING IT!

Check this video out from the 30min mark..... over 500 tracks without an HICKUP!
what laptop can do this?
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1978854

Basically what mjames is saying is what I'm hearing from many dudes that has tried it! They say it's ridiculous and out of this world! I don't know personally, so I can't judge fairly! I'm interested in the dBeat that's pictured above! I heard it's sick compared too all MPC's & MV's! Again, I don't know, just passing along information! It does have alot of new features though! That cross fader does some crazy stuff especially for mixing and editing!

If anything, I hope it will make Akai & Roland step their game up even more! Good competition is always good for the end user's......sometimes anyway!
By mjames4208 Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:54 pm
he's using reaper.....
i dont know of any laptops
powerful enough to handle
all of those tracks....
not that anyone would ever use
500 tracks....
but, it's like driving a Bogatti...
you'll never drive 250MPH, but it sure
is nice to have all of that horse power and torque, just in case you need it :wink:

besides, if you purchase a Mid level RAIN computer and a decent interface
and tons of VST's & VSTi's you would end up spending more money than you
would on an entry level Neko/Miko. a decent rain computer would cost close to 2500.00
by itself.
the Miko EC5 is 2799
Last edited by mjames4208 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By The Machinist Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:04 pm
everday is saturday wrote:It looks dope...

Yep. At the moment though, it's kind of like an iPhone, to me. Meaning, it just brings a lot of things I already have or can do into a neat single package, but doesn't really offer me much that's new. That's definitely not a bad thing, it's just not something that I'd need currently. Like the iPhone, if portability and features in a single unit are your main focus, this thing looks unrivaled. I think it's a great sign of things to come though, and for those looking for such a solution, this may be great...especially if it works a treat. The only real problem for me though, is even though I often do use Windows, it's not my primary platform and I don't intend to make it so.

Excellent industrial design on this thing though! Looks great. Moot, but I'm heavy into visual arts so I can't help but appreciate good design.
By v00d00ppl Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 am
i got my i7 920 quad core system with 9gb of ram, and 1TB of space, with a 23 inch widescreen for 1500......an mpc 2000xl for 360, an eps classic for 150, a novation xstation for 425, and live 8 suite for 218.......thats 2658 out of my pocket instead of dropping 4 grand on that silly thing.....i'm just saying.....if you are used to lugging heavy gear around, you might as well get a quad core tower with power and lug that around to load up live 8 instead of this trendy thing