Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By djobserv Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:58 am
So my s900 finally came in the mail after a few weeks and everything looked great. The lcd and backlight are in great condition, blue and semi bright, all the buttons work, the only problem i'm having is that everything i sample into the machine comes out distorted.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong.. Everything sounds fine going into the machine, my turntable/mixer plugged into the line input and i've tried a bunch of volume settings, but when i hit the playback button to audition the sample, the sound is distorted. Am I missing something? is there something internally on the mainboard that can be checked or maybe a parameter within the OS that's causing the bad sound, or did i just buy a dud?

Thanks y'all.
By gertie Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:32 pm
when sampling you have an input level on the screen...make sure its not fully at the end....this may be causing the distortion

also you could try the internal sample called tone....does this sound distorted too?
By djobserv Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:15 pm
the internal tone is all good, it sounds like a clean sine wave.

i've tried sampling at a low volume to see if that was the culprit, the sample is inaudible or it just sounds like blips. when i sample at a decent level the sound becomes heavily distorted when i play it back.
By djobserv Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:35 am
same way i do into my 60, the line outs from my rane 54.

honestly if it's just something wrong with the Analog to Digital converter which seems to be the case because i'm able to monitor the sound clearly, it's just somewhere in the conversion process that the sound is getting messed up....

anyone have any insight as to what might be causing the problem?
By Ben.H Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:46 pm
hey bro i know its kinda obvious but.. make sure you're plugged into "line" not "mic" - they're both 1/4" jacks
By djobserv Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:11 am
i'm just using a 1/4" unbalanced cable plugged into the line input. Thanks for the Schematics I'll take a look inside and see if anything was disconnected during transit.

thanks for the suggestion on loading sounds from my 60, i'll be trying that tonight and i'll post up if it works or not.

thanks for the help/suggestions everyone.
By peeping tom Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:15 am
hey fam,

i understand this is an old thread, but i encountered the exact same issue, so for people searching in the future below is a fix.

open up the machine and re-seat the DAC chips on the top board (think its the voice board). Mine was doing the same thing, after pulling em out and giving them a little clean, popped em back in and machine was 100%

They seem to come loose in the heat / travel.

happy sampling.
By 1017Julz Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:05 am
peeping tom wrote:hey fam,

i understand this is an old thread, but i encountered the exact same issue, so for people searching in the future below is a fix.

open up the machine and re-seat the DAC chips on the top board (think its the voice board). Mine was doing the same thing, after pulling em out and giving them a little clean, popped em back in and machine was 100%

They seem to come loose in the heat / travel.

happy sampling.

Hey Tom, I'm having this same issue, I was wondering what parts are you referring to as the DAC chips? I've checked the manual and also taken a look at the Voice PCB but i'm stumped lol :Sigh: