Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Upright Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:15 am
Explicit- wrote:
Upright wrote:Have you thought about dealing locally so you can check all that out before you purchase it? Like Craigslist

Was that a joke? :lol:

I have a famous Craigslist story here on the boards...

LOL,...nah I was serious but if you've had a bad experience then I can understand. I had a dude sell me a shaddy 40" LCD about 3 years ago so I know the feeling. I generally don't buy electronics from Craigslist now because of that ...but I know many people that use it and haven't had any problems so that's why I threw it out there.
By Metatron72 Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:22 am
Upright wrote:
Explicit- wrote:
Upright wrote:Have you thought about dealing locally so you can check all that out before you purchase it? Like Craigslist

Was that a joke? :lol:

I have a famous Craigslist story here on the boards...

LOL,...nah I was serious but if you've had a bad experience then I can understand. I had a dude sell me a shaddy 40" LCD about 3 years ago so I know the feeling. I generally don't buy electronics from Craigslist now because of that ...but I know many people that use it and haven't had any problems so that's why I threw it out there.

It can work out. I got 3 MPC's in fantastic condition for great prices off craigslist. All the sellers where cool folks like on the boards here. But word, when it goes awry with craigslist, lookout. :lol:
By Askia Shaheed Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:54 am
Fellaz,

I have a Maschine question. One of the biggest feature requests among Mashine users is timestretch/pitch shifting. Yet Maschine has this Grain Stretch FX. What can't it do that products with typical timestrecth/pitch shifting can?
By Metatron72 Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:37 am
Askia Shaheed wrote:Fellaz,

I have a Maschine question. One of the biggest feature requests among Mashine users is timestretch/pitch shifting. Yet Maschine has this Grain Stretch FX. What can't it do that products with typical timestrecth/pitch shifting can?

A large number of users want something similar to Acidizing loops or beyond that something similar to Ableton's warping. They've been taking so long to implement since they confirmed they'll do it, maybe they have something up their sleeve. I suppose a variation of Kontakt's timestretch features is just as likely. As it is now it's totally old school with regards to those features. If I'm using Maschine I'm already on a computer, so I'll do that stuff in another app.

The Grain Stretch effect is a granular re-synthesis effect, and can't do anything to stretch or contract your sounds.
By hyena Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:38 am
in fact the warp engine in ableton live IS a granular re-synthesis effect applied and optimized to timestretch\compress loops....so i can see where askia is going with his question....

i have another one....do they implemented different pattern lengths(ableton style) in maschine'latest updates or are you stuck with same length as in the mpcs?
By Metatron72 Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:48 am
hyena wrote:in fact the warp engine in ableton live IS a granular re-synthesis effect applied and optimized to timestretch\compress loops....so i can see where askia is going with his question....

i have another one....do they implemented different pattern lengths(ableton style) in maschine'latest updates or are you stuck with same length as in the mpcs?

Yes it's the same basic technique as Live's warp, but it's just a basic sound shaping effect with no effect on the length of your audio clip, I agree it's a reasonable question though.

As long as I've had Maschine (Since 1.2 or something) it's allowed varying pattern lengths. The default behavior is each Scene of patterns follows the longest pattern and loop accordingly. I think JJOSXL 3 is adding this.
By hyena Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:17 am
yes, im waiting for 3.0 and then try it and then decide if i'll jump on the NI bandwagon or not....there are a few things still makin me doubt...but perhaps because i still havent had opportunity to try out maschine....i doubt his sequencer to be as extensive as jj's .... but love the integration side and the live sound mangling facilities...

another question: when using it as plugin you can sub-host other plugins into maschine? i know it seems a strange question but it'd be nice to have it running in ableton and still have the opportunity to sequence e.g. a zebra pattern inside his own sequencer....
By Metatron72 Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 am
hyena wrote:yes, im waiting for 3.0 and then try it and then decide if i'll jump on the NI bandwagon or not....there are a few things still makin me doubt...but perhaps because i still havent had opportunity to try out maschine....i doubt his sequencer to be as extensive as jj's .... but love the integration side and the live sound mangling facilities...

another question: when using it as plugin you can sub-host other plugins into maschine? i know it seems a strange question but it'd be nice to have it running in ableton and still have the opportunity to sequence e.g. a zebra pattern inside his own sequencer....

I'm taking a break from doing exactly what you describe. :D It adds a great layer of fun and versatility to Ableton. And Ableton's already the most fun DAW by far. Sure Maschine is duplicating a gang of Live functionality, but it's pretty cool to do MIDI stuff in Maschine off to the side, and either drag and drop audio from it, or record to Ableton Channels.

I avoid the Maschine Vs. MPC stuff, but I don't see why an MPC head who's gonna be in a DAW at times or has a lot of VST's wouldn't enjoy it. It isn't a feature for feature contest to me, I like that my brain/hands are more into the tactile and speed aspect similar to an MPC, even though the features differ in both function and implementation. I got 2 TB of samples, the things a must for me.
By hyena Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:26 am
hehehe yes me neither wanted to restart that old @ss topic :)
mainly nowadays i'm using the mpc for live gigs and to build basic tracks that i later expand on DAW....so the ability to seamlessly integrate a sort of mpc-esque workflow in ableton sounds totally raD! what i fear the most is to be disappointed in the liveset department....but havin it running alongside ableton seems a totally safe way to have both fun\playability\hands-on and versatile sequencing...
By Metatron72 Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:47 am
hyena wrote:hehehe yes me neither wanted to restart that old @ss topic :)
mainly nowadays i'm using the mpc for live gigs and to build basic tracks that i later expand on DAW....so the ability to seamlessly integrate a sort of mpc-esque workflow in ableton sounds totally raD! what i fear the most is to be disappointed in the liveset department....but havin it running alongside ableton seems a totally safe way to have both fun\playability\hands-on and versatile sequencing...

It's not everyone's taste, but I don't mind a sequencer within a sequencer. There's a Live template for Maschine's MIDI control mode, you can toggle in an out of it to control the VST's loaded in Live or the DAW itself. If you could score the EDU version it's a great savings, although I guess you're stuck with the license as was discussed on this thread.
By emptysea Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:08 pm
Maschine is very flexible so it can used in very different ways including how people integrate with other software. Personally, Maschine has replaced Live as my production tool. I prefer to do everything in Maschine in standalone mode now and then just export which gives me separate wav files for all tracks of my whole arrangement to drag into Logic for mixdown.

Anyway, here's a good example showing how you can use Maschine and Live together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WcbjOm1uhY
By Metatron72 Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:12 pm
emptysea wrote:Maschine is very flexible so it can used in very different ways including how people integrate with other software. Personally, Maschine has replaced Live as my production tool. I prefer to do everything in Maschine in standalone mode now and then just export which gives me separate wav files for all tracks of my whole arrangement to drag into Logic for mixdown.

Anyway, here's a good example showing how you can use Maschine and Live together:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WcbjOm1uhY

Do you use a lot of CPU intensive VST's during the Maschine portion? I enjoy standalone a lot, but the lack of proper multicore support is starting to be an issue. I know I can bounce stuff early, but I've got a lot of CPU power going to waste. I need the multicore far more than timestretch.
By Upright Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:02 pm
Metatron72 wrote: I enjoy standalone a lot, but the lack of proper multicore support is starting to be an issue. I know I can bounce stuff early, but I've got a lot of CPU power going to waste. I need the multicore far more than timestretch.

So the the DAW obviously helps you because you balance the CPU load by using the VST's that you would use in Maschine in the DAW, right? Or is there another Reason why you prefer using Maschine in the DAW? Oh yeah,... audio tracks...forgot about those. So are Audio tracks and CPU load the main reasons one would use Maschine in the DAW?
By Askia Shaheed Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:25 pm
Many ex-MPC users that now use Maschine talk about how they hated the tedious task of tracking an MPC into their DAW (I find this obsurd...but anyway...). While I owned Maschine, I never used iit outside of stand alone mode and never with a DAW. SO my question is, how is Maschine tracked into a DAW?

1. Export Maschine tracks and import (or drag-n-drop) into a DAW?
2. Recorded directly to a DAW track as audio in real-time (just like an MPC or other hardware)?
3. Used as a plugin and MIDI data recorded into a DAW...only to be rendered as audio during mixdown?
4. Used DAW "render" function which automatically converts a plugin and its correspsonding MIDI track to audio?

Or some other method?

Also, in these pro-Maschine threads across the net, users only talk about the good things. But when you visit the NI Forum, you will see numerous feature requests for multicore support...plus numerous reports how they can only uses a few instances of a VST at once because of it being a CPU hog.
Last edited by Askia Shaheed on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.