Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Funkologist Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:48 am
Borat wrote:I just copped a Zoom ST, sold with a 3 way DJ mixer(Gemini UMX9) for 90 euros .
I think it's a pretty good deal :D

:shock:
Very good deal!
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:25 am
-niN wrote:which (akai?) samplers have a coaxial s/p dif connection??

i think just the 2000, 2000xl, 4000, and 5000? I somehow dont believe the 500/1000/2500 has it or the 3k?
By -niN Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:11 am
The 2500 does.. I was actually thinking of some old racksampler..
I might want to exchange data via the s/p dif.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:30 am
the mv has it too.. rack samplers.. hmmm... I think the s5000/s6000 ones have it. also, I believe the z4/z8
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:57 am
the chrome gets real smudged looking...

I honestly dont know that much about spdif... I rarely use it because I dont have too many spdif inputs on my sound card (in fact, it only has one stereo input for spdif)

i would have just assumed an optical to coax bridge would have been available... so I am not surprised however again... I dont know any technicalities about that.
By jimmie Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:24 am
jonestown massacre wrote:However, you can find an sp12 for around $400, shopping around. If you like sp12 drums, get an sp12. They arent really in the MPC3000/SP1200 price range....

I've been on the lookout for a cheap SP12 for the past four years. Never seen one go for less than $900.

I'd love to know where you've been shopping.
By aaonli Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 pm
bought an sp12 turbo for about 350 GBP / 550 USD a few months ago. just found another one at the same price. hardware usually cost a bit more here in norway than uk/us, both new and used, but maybe i was lucky.

also got an sp505 and sp303, love the sound of them(and the effects), but it isn´t really the same as sp12/1200. people keep forgetting the term "lo-fi". there´s alot of samplers with cool lo-fi sound, but they doesn´t necesarily sound the same.
By Shostakovich Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:42 pm
tapedeck wrote:
tosfalma wrote:i was thinking of leaving it in record mode and use it as an fx when tracking out my beats so they take a 90s sound, but i dont know if this "compression" will destroy the samples quality in a way i cant actually hear (lack of experience, im not an engineer)

i doubt much 'compression' is going on while you are just passing the audio in to the audio out. the compression probably happens when you save the sample. and it might be a lossless compression which means by definition there is no quality change.

If it does allow I/O, most likely bypasses convertor but in a box that small, I doubt you will achieve anything but add more noise to your signal. The data is indeed compressed on the SU10 so it's very much a lossy audio format.
By Shostakovich Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:47 pm
-niN wrote:the s5000 's got this "AES/EBU" . Does that work with the s/p dif format?

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VIS ... 0951660259

It has s/p dif , but it's an optical connection, not coax. coax is only "aes/ebu"..

But I just found out about optical to coax transformers..

AES > S/PDIF are almost completely interchangeable protocols. But yes, you will need to use adaptor; Interesting the AES is out the coax, I would have had it going out AES-3 XLR. In any case, anyoen with an s5000/s6000 should try and cop the ADAT card which will give you an additional 8 outs via the optical.
By DJ ALX Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 pm
Borat wrote:I really love those SP 12 drums and was wondering if some samplers could come close to that sound. I heard about the Yamaha SU10, Casio RZ1, Zoom ST224.

Any opinions on these samplers? Or maybe other models? Thanks!

Listen to this beat:

http://www.myspace.com/alx396/music/songs/eps-beat-50496314

If you like the sound of these drums then you should get an Ensoniq EPS.
Its a good alternative if you want grimey drums.

Its alot cheaper than an SP12 and its not a hassle to use.
Actually its pretty easy.

If you go for an 202 or 303 then the best way of using it is sampling your drums there on lo-fi and then sampling them back to your 16bit sampler (the best choise is an MPC2000XL which is a neutral kind of sampling compared to SP12, EPS etc...)
By thx Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:30 pm
aaonli wrote:also got an sp505 and sp303, love the sound of them(and the effects), but it isn´t really the same as sp12/1200. people keep forgetting the term "lo-fi". there´s alot of samplers with cool lo-fi sound, but they doesn´t necesarily sound the same.

+1
By Borat Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 pm
DJ ALX wrote:
Borat wrote:I really love those SP 12 drums and was wondering if some samplers could come close to that sound. I heard about the Yamaha SU10, Casio RZ1, Zoom ST224.

Any opinions on these samplers? Or maybe other models? Thanks!

Listen to this beat:

http://www.myspace.com/alx396/music/songs/eps-beat-50496314

If you like the sound of these drums then you should get an Ensoniq EPS.
Its a good alternative if you want grimey drums.

Its alot cheaper than an SP12 and its not a hassle to use.
Actually its pretty easy.

If you go for an 202 or 303 then the best way of using it is sampling your drums there on lo-fi and then sampling them back to your 16bit sampler (the best choise is an MPC2000XL which is a neutral kind of sampling compared to SP12, EPS etc...)

That beat is good! I like the drums, especially the snare. I had the EPS 16+ for a few weeks, but didn't like it. The sound wasn't bad (nos as good as what I expected) , but I found it really hard to use.
But I just copped a cheap Zoom Sampletrak, I will receive it in a few days