Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Cicatrix Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm
Hey folks, I did something f'd up. I sold my asrx. I have an mpc2500, and maschine currently, and i'm really thinking about selling maschine to use the money to obtain the asrx back. It was my first piece of gear I ever owned. I loved that kit. The nostalgia is sooo great. lol.
I do like maschine, just not not as much as the asr x pro. I found myself collaborating with the mpc, and asr x much more than the mpc, with maschine. I'm just trying to decide if it's a justifiable move.

Can I get some feedback?
By jibber Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:05 pm
Anything is justifiable if it works for you. You obviously had more fun using the ASR and now you miss it, so go get another one! :wink:

Look at how many people are still using oldschool gear like the SP1200 or MPC60. Regarding features of the machines, it's crazy to use them nowadays, but if people are looking for exactly that sound and feel of a particular old machine, it's what'll make them happy.

In my opinion, if it feels right, go for it! :D
By Cicatrix Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:13 pm
hey, thanks for the kind words jibber. It's appreciated. Seems like really solid advice there. Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am currently without a computer powerful enough for maschine for about 4 months. So the maschine has just been sitting there. At least with the asr x i can use it immediately.
By Lampdog Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:58 pm
I sold my red asr x pro a long time ago and have regretted it ever since. The only thing I didn't like about it was the nipple knobs, lol. You use them so much and so often I hated it. Other than that, I miss the heck out of it.
By Cicatrix Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:34 pm
"nipple knobs" :lol: hilarious. I appreciate the humor lampdog. I remember using my friends before I got my own, and his knobs were a lot more responsive than mine. I am going to get a zip drive for it though that's for sure.
I know I won't sleep until I get another red x. It's just the question of which way to obtain it.
By JVC Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm
Hello,

I'd like to know what so special about ASR-X Pro is. I've read a lot of user reviews about ASR-X series, and while most of users love the sound (sounds on the ROM too), many users complain about its unreliable sequencer. I just want to know your feeling about it.
By jibber Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:07 pm
Cicatrix wrote:I remember using my friends before I got my own, and his knobs were a lot more responsive than mine.

Say what?! Hahaha! :lol:
Just kidding... :D
By Lampdog Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:15 pm
Sequencer wasn't as solid as the mpc2kxl.
Sounds were great, I was REALLY good with the stomper drum creation
machine. It did damn near everything the asr-10 if I remember correctly.
The pads were hard though and I didn't like them very much.

I sold it in 2000 to get my very first 2kxl. The pads and nipple knobs threw me off.
The sequencer wasn't bad, it was just not as great as the 2kxl I had tried on a friends machine.

The 2kxl is feature wise a lesser machine but the pads and sequencer on the mpc sold me.The workflow and getting ideas put down in the 2kxl is much easier though. But because the asrx-pro was great at all the other stuff I miss it. But yeah, hard solid plastic pads are NOT the business.
By tapedeck Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:18 pm
does the asr-x offer all the deep modulation properties of the eps?

like loop start + position modulation via pressure, things like that?
By Prah_860_ Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:11 pm
jibber wrote:
Cicatrix wrote:I remember using my friends before I got my own, and his knobs were a lot more responsive than mine.

Say what?! Hahaha! :lol:
Just kidding... :D

:lol: :lol: ....you touched his knob?.... :lol: :lol:
By mp3 Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm
tapedeck wrote:does the asr-x offer all the deep modulation properties of the eps?

like loop start + position modulation via pressure, things like that?

The X does have transwaves, but the problem is that you can't access that functionality from the front panel. You need the chickensys editor to do transwave stuff. You don't have full editability from the front panel.

The main thing missing from the X that the 10 has is the crossfade looping algorithms.

The main things you gain over the 10/EPS are the immediacy of the interface (etch-a-sketch'iness notwithstanding) and resonant filters.

And this is the full reference manual:
http://www.synthzone.com/midi/ensoniq/a ... e%20guide/

Chapter 3 - Pads gives you a full rundown of the X's synthesis properties.
By JVC Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:45 pm
Lampdog wrote:Sequencer wasn't as solid as the mpc2kxl.
Sounds were great, I was REALLY good with the stomper drum creation
machine. It did damn near everything the asr-10 if I remember correctly.
The pads were hard though and I didn't like them very much.

I sold it in 2000 to get my very first 2kxl. The pads and nipple knobs threw me off.
The sequencer wasn't bad, it was just not as great as the 2kxl I had tried on a friends machine.

The 2kxl is feature wise a lesser machine but the pads and sequencer on the mpc sold me.The workflow and getting ideas put down in the 2kxl is much easier though. But because the asrx-pro was great at all the other stuff I miss it. But yeah, hard solid plastic pads are NOT the business.

Thank you for the review, I guess I'll pass ASR-X series, unless I find it super cheap.
The knobs (rotary encoders) should be easy to replace, if you are familiar with soldering.
By Cicatrix Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:29 pm
Yeah, Lampdog summed it up pretty well.

And just for reference, the part number at mouser for the encoders that are supposedly far better than the originals is "318-ENC160-24P" I don't trust my soldering skills though so I would need somebody to do it for me. Which sucks because the the part is so cheap.