Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By ArKyve-31 Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:51 pm
I ideally would like my 60 to sit on top of my 900 but when I do that after about an hour or so, the 900 gets super hot and almost smells like burnt plastic, everything works fine and it heats up but not as much with the 60 not on top of it. Is this normal or has anyone had any similar experience with this type of issue?
By mr_debauch Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 pm
the s900 gets hot... it smells like old school electrical equipment... haha.. I would suggest taking 10 minutes or so to lift the lid off and use a can of air to spray out any potential dust. The s900 is pretty good though compared to some other gear... so it may not be that dirty. Still, the machine did come out in like 86..

As for putting the 60 on top, yeah I can feel that idea... except if there is that much heat venting from your 900 I would not do that... not cause of the s900... but cause I wouldn't want any additional heat warming up the 60.
By dabmeister Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm
Plus on anything that has any kind of perforated casing or housing (which I think your 900 has) designed for heat dissipation, you'd want to avoid covering it so it can breathe so to speak.

I took my own advice on that when I had to isolate one of my rack processors. I used two perforated 1U rack spaces (one on the top of the unit, the other on the bottom) in order to tame the overheating issues I was experiencing.
By rebel_lion Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:28 pm
mr_debauch wrote:The s900 is pretty good though compared to some other gear... so it may not be that dirty. Still, the machine did come out in like 86..

When I first got my S950 three years ago I opened it up to find 2cm thick of dust chilling on top of the board. A can of compressed air did wonders.

mr_debauch wrote:As for putting the 60 on top, yeah I can feel that idea... except if there is that much heat venting from your 900 I would not do that... not cause of the s900.

I use to put my 60 on top of my S950 back then because it looked so bad ass together and complimented each other. I had the same problem with overheating and the bad smell of electrical equipment so I stopped. The s950 now sits on the rack with at least 1U in between other equipment.