Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By jimmie Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 pm
@Borat, Harmonicj, Faru12:
I just found this from http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=147988&start=30:

peterpiper wrote:Thank you for the audio demos!! Another thing learned. I didn't notice this since your audios but I was now able to recreate it on my 950 too.
Ok. Here is what I found out:
The noise you're talking about is a very high frequency peak at about -55 to -60 dB (depending on the filter setting).
The samplerate doesnt matter. It's always there when a sample is played thru the filter (the sample itself also doesnt matter. It can be silence too. So I think its ok to say the noise is generated by the filter).
The peak is only there in the range from filter=29 down to filter=0
The frequency of the peak also depends on the filter setting:

filter=28 - peak = 21560 Hz
filter=27 - peak = 20940 Hz
filter=26 - peak = 19780 Hz
filter=25 - peak = 18680 Hz
filter=24 - peak = 17610 Hz
filter=23 - peak = 15680 Hz

at filter=22 to filter=00 the peak stays on the 15680 Hz

The peak is not a single frequency but has two mirror frequencies (+/- 1000 Hz from the center frequency mentioned above)

Now I think there are two reasons you hear the "noise" more than I did:

1. I always sample really loud (I use the "saturation-little-distortion-technique". Feeding a very hot signal into the 950. )
Since the noise we're talking about here is always at the same level ´no matter how loud or quiet you sample, the signal to (peak)noise ratio on my samples is high.
If you sample a signal with low volume or gain settings the signal to peak-noise is lower and it's more audiable.

2. When you resample the filtered (and therefore noisy) sample with another sampler and play it back at different pitches the peak-noise will always be audiable.
It will also change its frequency and is easier to hear. Mostly when you pitch it lower cause the frequency of the peak-noise will be in a lower frequency range which means: its easier to hear it.

I recommend to sample at high volume into the s950.
If its still not acceptable you can try to use an EQ before sampling into the MPC. Maybe the Revox EQ can be used. Cut the high and boost the low frequencies and sample it to the 60.

You can also try the following: Tune down the sample in the 950 lower than you actually need it (for example 16 semitones). sample this tuned down sample with the 60. Since you have to tune it up to be in the tune you need it the noise will be in a very high frequency range you might not hear anymore.

Another thing I thoght about. AFAIK the 60 have a function to half the samplerate. Try this too.

peace