Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Deck Lazer Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:07 pm
hi people.

glad to have joined here finally.

i purchased recently s2000 and plan to get more of those rack samplers.

naturally i ran into troubles right away:

- the external scsi HD i got cannot be formatted. when in formatting options i dont even have options to select the volumes (as in the manual). i can only set the size (60 max)

- if i go ahead and format i get either "format error" or hd not ready. if i try and arrange it - it get the disk empty - ready to use message.

- i already tested the port with a cd drive (works), i tried both passive and active terminators, and different cables. no luck.

- id set to 5

is my hd faulty or am i missing something simple?

please help!

D
Last edited by Deck Lazer on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By m56p87 Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm
I'm sure someone with more experience with machine this will swoop in and diagnose the problem instantly, but I'll try to get the ball rolling. Are you able to test the HD with other hardware like an MPC etc..? Did you buy the drive complete or make it yourself with a SCSI to IDE bridge? The compability is touch and go when it comes to different sizes/makes.

This topic should also be moved to the "other sampler" forum. The s2000 has nothing todo with the MPC2000 series except for sharing some numbers in the title.
By Deck Lazer Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm
really appreciate your answer.

sorry if this thread is misplaced but the concensus seemed to be that the engines in mpc2000 and s2000 are indeed the same. i figured some os similarities will be the result of that.

i can atm try the hd on any other devices but the compatibility should not be the issue:
25-to 50 pin scsi, passive terminator.

the hd is in an scsi enclosure and i bought it second had. my guess that either the case or the hd might be faulty but what confuses me is the fact that i dont get the same formatting options as noted in the manual. i think the os is 1.51

thanks again...
By m56p87 Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 pm
Yeah I mean it's not as literal as that, they do share similarities. But I meant more of you wouldn't post a question about the s950 in the mpc60 forum. Unless your sharing parts between the two.

Compatibility could actually be an issue. you might have a 9bg drive from one manufacturer that works but that dosnt mean every single 9gb scsi out there will work. the larger the drive the less the across the board compatibility, especially when you venture above 6gb.

Could definitely be the enclosure as well, have you tried cleaning all the connections and making sure they are pushed in all the way? Sometimes those old enclosures can stick when you shove the connection in so it feels like its in. Also do you have the jumpers configured correctly, that's something seemingly small that can mess your ish up. However I think if you have the jumpers on wrong it just wouldn't work...

To know for sure, why don't you take out the scsi cd drive you have and put it in the enclosure and see if it still works? Atleast then youll know if it's the enclosure or the drive and then proceed from there.
By Clint Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:10 pm
Welcome to the forums Deck!

I'll move this to the correct place for discussion on Akai rack samplers. Hopefully someone versed in the S2000 will chime in and help you out.

Clint
By Deck Lazer Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:53 pm
your suggestions are very helpful mp. thanks for reading about my problems.

i deliberately searched for a smaller hd. this one has 2gb.

actually one of the ports was somewhat pushed in but i pulled it back while the case was open and jammed the terminator in which fit tightly.

however i found some information on the scsi hd interface and it has fast scsi2 which does not sound like something that would be compatible with the s2000.
any info on this anyone?

i also am hunting the locals for zip drives and got handed a parallel instead of scsi drive. all wonderful.

i will persist.
By Deck Lazer Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54 pm
clint246clint wrote:Welcome to the forums Deck!

I'll move this to the correct place for discussion on Akai rack samplers. Hopefully someone versed in the S2000 will chime in and help you out.

Clint

thanks for the welcome clint and sorry for any inconvenience.