Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By marrelarre Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 pm
Copped a 60 a few weeks back and been **** with it intensely since.

I like the machine a lot but the only thing ive been disapointed by is that the option to adjust sample bandwidth isnt possible. A feature i played around a lot in my s900.

So just raising the question, which one of these machines do you prefer soundwise - the MPC60 or the S900/950?

I myself love the kicks in the 60, sampling them a bit hot with some EQ makes em fat as hell. Also i like the Hihats. And the attack/Decay settings are a lot sweeter on the 60, which helps a lot in drum editing.

In the snare category i think ima do my snares in the s900 from now on, the grit that comes with a lower bandwith really gives it that nice Punch im looking for, the mpc makes it too clean i think.

What do you think? MPC60 (or what machine you prefer) vs the s900/950?
By marrelarre Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:11 pm
Forgot im also going to mess around some with sampling in the s900 and resampling into the MPC60 to see if any sound character is lost.
If not sampling in the s900 at a lower bandwidth and resampling into the MPC could be a nice way to go.

Anyone have any experience with this?
By m56p87 Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:17 pm
Ugh, I don't have the engery to type out another 60 vs 950 response. But there's no way your mpc60's envelope is better, considering that the rack samplers have a full ADSR envelope and the MPC60 just has attack and decay. Although it definitely might to be easier to manipulate,cause you don't reallyneed sustain with drums.

People are gonna reply and say, the 900/950 has more punch etc.. Which is probably true. But I really don't think it matters to much, just a personal preference for your own music making.

What do you mean bandwidth? You mean sample rate?
By mr_debauch Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:44 pm
m56p87 wrote:
What do you mean bandwidth? You mean sample rate?

in the s900 it has a button to half the frequency range (or reduce it to reduce the file size of the sample) .. maybe that is probably what he is talking about?
By m56p87 Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:55 pm
Yeah I know it can go from 40khz down to I think around 8khz? I was just wondering if there was another feature I missed or something.
By mr_debauch Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm
m56p87 wrote:Yeah I know it can go from 40khz down to I think around 8khz? I was just wondering if there was another feature I missed or something.

yeah... i wish it wasn't destructive...
By m56p87 Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:08 pm
mr_debauch wrote:
m56p87 wrote:Yeah I know it can go from 40khz down to I think around 8khz? I was just wondering if there was another feature I missed or something.

yeah... i wish it wasn't destructive...

Yeah but if it had to retain the data to keep it ND, it wouldnt save any extra space! But yeah it would be nice considering you don't need to save space these days. I always like listening to old tracks with drum loops/breaks done on the old rack samplers, you can tell they had to bring the sample rate way down so it would fit in the machine.

And now we have space in our machines to hold every drum break ever made in perfect quality, and we bring out audio quality even lower then they had too! I'm probably one of the worst offenders! Lol

Love working with the limitations of older hardware, really gets my creative side going.
By marrelarre Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:24 pm
In the machine its called Audio Bandwitdth, but yes its the rate.
Adjustable from 3000 hz to 16 000 hz, which i really like, it dirties stuff up a lot.

And if you dont wanna spend the energy on the thread, how come you here? :?

And I feel like the s900 has more mid than the MPC = snares sound punchier, but thats just to me i guess, could be the reason i never sampled at 16k.

Lowering the sample rate in a sample, for example a piano, to where it starts to cut into the highs of the sample and apply the low pass is something i kinda miss in the 60 too.

The 60 has a real warm sound tho so im mainly debating the drums, which I feel can be edited more thoroughly in the s900.
And yes the envelope is more advanced in the s900 but i think it has louder tails than the 60 (maybe its my evelope skills, who knows?), which requires me to cut more.
By m56p87 Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:42 pm
marrelarre wrote:In the machine its called Audio Bandwitdth, but yes its the rate.
Adjustable from 3000 hz to 16 000 hz, which i really like, it dirties stuff up a lot.

And if you dont wanna spend the energy on the thread, how come you here? :?

And I feel like the s900 has more mid than the MPC = snares sound punchier, but thats just to me i guess, could be the reason i never sampled at 16k.

Lowering the sample rate in a sample, for example a piano, to where it starts to cut into the highs of the sample and apply the low pass is something i kinda miss in the 60 too.

The 60 has a real warm sound tho so im mainly debating the drums, which I feel can be edited more thoroughly in the s900.
And yes the envelope is more advanced in the s900 but i think it has louder tails thanthe 60 (maybe its my evelope skills, who knows?), which requires me to cut more.

- because I wanted you to know that there are probably 50+ threads that discuss this, and you don't need to start a whole new thread to get the information your after. But i suppose your right I'll just **** off and stop giving you advice then :-D :-D (jfwym)

-the s950/900 has been said for a while to have more "punch" part of that I think is because of the main outs on the mpc. when I do a a/b comparison on the main outs of my 2000 vs the individual outs there is a slight mid reduction through the main outs. But it could be different on the 60.

-your on track with what most people say. Use the rack sampler for drums and the MPC for your melodies and samples. However there are some cool features in your rack sampler for melodies like cross fading between samples and the ability to have it be monophonic. Some cool things have been done with choking the polyphony.
By Clint Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:19 pm
m56p87 wrote:I wanted you to know that there are probably 50+ threads that discuss this

Mostly in the MPC60 and MPC comparison forums.

Its one of those discussions that will never be laid to rest...