Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:57 am
For some reason I'm not so interested in the MPC 60. It is a slight bit less cash than the SP1200 but I think I will cop the s900/s950 if i can find it for a couple hundred or less until i loot up for the sp 1200.
By jibber Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:20 pm
Here's one in almost mint condition, serviced 8 months ago, including a small sound library, instructional dvd and a stand (if you pick it up locally), for $1,749.00 buy it now price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-mu-SP-1200-re ... 1c2d5f36c9

Seller also has good feedback.

Not a bad deal.
By JUKE 179r Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:38 pm
I never got to fk with an SP before but would like to.
It amazes the fk outta me the ridiculous prices are constantly on the rise for vintage gear from the SP line to the Roland TR/TB/SH/MC-X0X line.
If you got vintage gear, you better hold on to it and keep in minty fresh. :nod:
By master-ceo Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:59 pm
psr wrote:For some reason I'm not so interested in the MPC 60. It is a slight bit less cash than the SP1200 but I think I will cop the s900/s950 if i can find it for a couple hundred or less until i loot up for the sp 1200.

:smoker: can't lose with a s950/900 either. Great machine, and with a HXC floppy emulator installed its a worthy choice. That will ease you into real vintage mode and get you itchin for that SP. Nice combo as well. :nod:
By Coz Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:08 pm
Those floppy emulators make it a lot more tempting to invest in vintage gear for me. :nod:
By jibber Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:08 pm
Unless i will run out of DD floppies someday i will never install the HXC drive in my SP1200. To me it's like putting a modern engine into an oldtimer... even if it would run better, it ruins the originality. Besides, the SP works just fine with floppies, one floppy disk, one beat... easy! :smoker:
By sirparksalot Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:45 pm
jibber wrote:Unless i will run out of DD floppies someday i will never install the HXC drive in my SP1200. To me it's like putting a modern engine into an oldtimer... even if it would run better, it ruins the originality. Besides, the SP works just fine with floppies, one floppy disk, one beat... easy! :smoker:

If you back them up to your PC immediately after making them, I would think that having that plus an original floppy would be more than enough..... :nod:
By crossings Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:03 pm
well, that's Armen... he's always trying to charge an extra 45% than everyone else. :lol:

but yeah... the sp1200 is tough to get a deal on... you're probably more likely to find a steal on a sp12 turbo.
By crossings Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 pm
psr wrote:Yeah I see those SP 12 turbos for $700 - $800
Im a bit not knowing on the huge differences besides sample time and onboard sounds.

that's about it really... it only has 5 seconds instead of 10... samples at slightly better 12bit quality than the sp1200 [sp12 samples at 27.500 kHz, whereas the sp1200 samples at 26.040 kHz]... and the ability to save through the cassette out as well... i think that's about it. the sp1200 can LOAD from cassette sound but not save like that.

keep an eye out and you can get a sp12 turbo for about $500 or so... just make sure it's got the turbo expansion... it'll say so on the screen on startup.
By m56p87 Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:31 pm
crossings wrote:
psr wrote:Yeah I see those SP 12 turbos for $700 - $800
Im a bit not knowing on the huge differences besides sample time and onboard sounds.

that's about it really... it only has 5 seconds instead of 10... samples at slightly better 12bit quality than the sp1200 [sp12 samples at 27.500 kHz, whereas the sp1200 samples at 26.040 kHz]... and the ability to save through the cassette out as well... i think that's about it. the sp1200 can LOAD from cassette sound but not save like that.

keep an eye out and you can get a sp12 turbo for about $500 or so... just make sure it's got the turbo expansion... it'll say so on the screen on startup.

I read a post on the SP forums where you can use an EPROM burner to replace the stock sp12 sounds. Only thing is they need to remain the same exact length as the original kit sounds. But I think it would give you like 9.5 seconds of sample time, definitely the route I would go considering I would only buy the sp series for the sound engine. But still if I had 800$ It would probably be more tempting to buy the 60/900 combo. But chalk this up to the "to each his own category".

And of course unless the sounds you replace with are already sampled through the sp12, they wouldnt have that sp sound. And I think they need to be 8bit. But I like the idea of loading in a kit, using that kit for a few tracks and repeat... Others might not be as into that idea.
By crossings Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 pm
yeah... i'd read that as well.. but getting an EPROM burner, the software, and the time to learn how to properly replace all the samples doesn't sound like an easy task. i also think that thread wasn't really worded properly by saying you get the 10 seconds of "sampling time" when in reality you aren't sampling but having to remove chips and replace the content... so it's still just 5 seconds of actual SAMPLING time that you get after replacing all the sounds. personally, i actually like the built-in sounds on the sp-12 and find myself using the kick, snare, & hi-hats a lot. :mrgreen: