Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By v00d00ppl Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:56 pm
Jibber how long did it take to get your sp box? What is yours controlling at the moment?
By jibber Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:25 am
It arrived in five days. Shipped from Norway to Switzerland.

I'm using it to sequence two midi channels of the JV2080 and to trigger the ASR (as you would without the midi box).
By jibber Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:36 pm
PS: You really have to keep in mind, the SP really isn't designed for this. So don't expect to do complicated bass lines and chords. It's enough for a simple bass line and a few basic chords/melodies, but if you try more complex stuff you'll quickly run into polyphony and latency problems. Just something to keep in mind.
By Horseclick Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:33 pm
after a absence of a few years ,

I picked up my SP form a house producer who cut a few "hit" records on it.

Really nice condition and currently with jWH getting a new screen installed with better viewing angle and not those cheap wack 1 dollar blue 16x2 Chinese displays.

I seen cats put these horrible displays in machines that are worth $$$ shit sps are worth more this year then last and will continue in that trend.

Will post back once my machine is fully serviced and new Noritake installed.

Long story short i bought several oleds for the sp and they dont work for shit, wasting a tonne of money on oleds and hourly rate for tech to get something that works.

Stick to the noritake vfd's fellas.
By v00d00ppl Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:45 am
I'm having a hard time finding the midi notes for each of the 8 pads. Anyone know what they are? I am trying to use my MPD24 as a pad controller for the SP1200
By Horseclick Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:36 pm
jesus the viewing anlge is off the hook and i can see from across the room at practically any angle.

here is a real steep angle

also had to make my sp's **** look pretty also.
I bought it fully maxed out (official akai ram) Thanks to the forums own Clint.
since i purchased from clint i had it serviced , ib109 and needed eproms installed , and a big boy noritake vfd.(not cheap but blows all other options away.

By v00d00ppl Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:44 pm
is there any high pitched noise after installing the noritake display? I heard some SP users complaining about that.
By Horseclick Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:49 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:is there any high pitched noise after installing the noritake display? I heard some SP users complaining about that.

No no high pitch noise nor whine dead silent.

bare in mind my SP1200 is a OG grey (waited for many years to find the right one)

My tech recommended it as its power supply is a linear type while it may get hot its superior in every other way.

the newer black reissues use a switching supply and can cause bleed into the audio signal path and the "whining" you may of read somewhere.

also the balck reissues use a added circuit board for the screen's which may induce noise im not sure im no tech.

you sure you didn't read about inverter whine for the old displays?

anyway on my 950 the inverter was whining but now with the vfd no inverter whine and i think my 950 sounds better now almost like the noise level has dropped.
By invhide Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:07 pm
Nice, didn't know these Noritake displays were working on the grey version.
Did your Sp had a backlight display already?
Would be awsome if you could give me the exact reference of the display and how got it installed. :smoker:

Thanks!
By Horseclick Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:01 pm
invhide wrote:Nice, didn't know these Noritake displays were working on the grey version.
Did your Sp had a backlight display already?
Would be awsome if you could give me the exact reference of the display and how got it installed. :smoker:

Thanks!

CU16025-UW2J
thats the exact part,
old display was a original display greenish/blue backlight still worked fine but **** terrible viewing angle hard to see shi
t if my head wernt at the right angle.

the vfd measured same dimensions as the old display that was in my grey OG,
https://www.noritake-itron.jp/eng/produ ... 5-uw2j.pdf

tech installed it for me as i dont trust doing any tye of thing to a machine that i have lusted for many years and eventually paid top dollar for it.

i had huge issues with bullshit oleds as they wee not working wasted so much time and money with tech trying any oleds i could get my hands on , winstar midas raystar all bullshit not compatible with the sp at all.

finally as i threw so much money on other options, I paid the extra and went with the japanese vfds there more exspensive then the oleds per piece but they worked no problem.

even my 950 oleds wernt working the display looked off, only the vfd displayed correctly.

good luck man
By invhide Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:08 am
Cool, thanks for the info.
My main concern is that The grey version usually doesn't come with a backlight display (mine neither), so what I don't know is how to install a backlight display on a sp that didn't have one... Is there an inverter or something?
I already have a backlight display laying around that should fit and it's not an oled.
Anyway, I might order a noritake as well, could be worth it. So I could order another for my s950 as well :smoker:

The thing is that I got to find someone I trust that can service my Sp here in Switzerland..
By Matriks Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:30 pm
invhide wrote: The thing is that I got to find someone I trust that can service my Sp here in Switzerland..

That's a hard one around here :cry:
Maybe you can contact Forum member Jibber, he knows some address(es)... Eventually he helps you out..
If it's just about soldering some parts I can do it for you.
By Horseclick Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:22 pm
invhide wrote:Cool, thanks for the info.
My main concern is that The grey version usually doesn't come with a backlight display (mine neither), so what I don't know is how to install a backlight display on a sp that didn't have one... Is there an inverter or something?
I already have a backlight display laying around that should fit and it's not an oled.
Anyway, I might order a noritake as well, could be worth it. So I could order another for my s950 as well :smoker:

The thing is that I got to find someone I trust that can service my Sp here in Switzerland..

i phoned my tech this is what he said.

all sp's sp12 sp1200 grey and sp1200 black shipped with lcd screen with backlights Sp12/sp1200 grey shipped with the same display black reissue e-mu couldnt source the same ones so had to build a small circuit board to accommodate the newer screen with the dual row of pins on the side of the display.

all the front panel circuit boards shipped with inverters to power the el foil its a small black box on rear of the front panel.

so perhaps your el foil needs replacing to light up your current screen he said its only 2 wires to do that, or your inverter is dead which is not needed if your going to go ahead and install a vfd.

good luck brother
By jimmie Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:09 pm
Horseclick wrote:i phoned my tech this is what he said.

all sp's sp12 sp1200 grey and sp1200 black shipped with lcd screen with backlights Sp12/sp1200 grey shipped with the same display black reissue e-mu couldnt source the same ones so had to build a small circuit board to accommodate the newer screen with the dual row of pins on the side of the display.

all the front panel circuit boards shipped with inverters to power the el foil its a small black box on rear of the front panel.

so perhaps your el foil needs replacing to light up your current screen he said its only 2 wires to do that, or your inverter is dead which is not needed if your going to go ahead and install a vfd.

good luck brother

Inverters can whine.
The black reissue SP1200's do not have an inverter inside. They use screens with an LED backlight. Not an El foil.
Also, they use different screw fitting dimensions for the displays, so grey SP1200/SP12 screens will not screw into a black reissue SP1200 front panel and vice versa.

Essentially, the SP12/grey SP1200 have slightly different front panels to the black reissue SP1200.
Last edited by jimmie on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.