Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By m56p87 Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:42 pm
True, I mean unless your using sounds youve already sampled into the machine then burned onto the EPROM. But I can't imagine the integrity of a dirty sp sample converted down to 8bit. There would be more distortion/noise than sample at that point lol.

And yeah the workflow is probably not just "hey toss some sounds on the old' EPROM chip". But like I said, I like the idea of loading a new kit up and using it for a while like its my own pseudo drum machine.. Then swapping them out every so often.

It by no means would subsidize a full sp1200.
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:47 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
psr wrote:Yeah I see those SP 12 turbos for $700 - $800
Im a bit not knowing on the huge differences besides sample time and onboard sounds.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/sp12.php

http://www.vintagesynth.com/emu/sp12.php

Thorough overviews with tons of user feedback.

Yeah I've been checking those out. I guess i assumed there was more to the story possibly since in their Akai S900 / S950 article a user review mentioned that they didnt mention about the really dope features like filters etc.

but yeah the outlook is lookin even better.

As for the EPROM deal... thats not appealing to me :lol:
I can work with the 5 seconds and the onboard sounds are classic.
By szr Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:43 pm
m56p87 wrote:But like I said, I like the idea of loading a new kit up and using it for a while like its my own pseudo drum machine.. Then swapping them out every so often.

That's why you should get an sp12, sample you fav drum sounds into it, make a song.... switch it off.. Those drum sounds are still there next time you turn it on.......without needing to load them.
..Thats one of the reasons I preferred to get the sp12 over the 1200...... plus you don't need to load the os from a floppy as on the 1200.
.... sp12 also keeps all your patterns, although I think it may forget the tempo and pitch/decay settings.
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 pm
szr wrote:
m56p87 wrote:But like I said, I like the idea of loading a new kit up and using it for a while like its my own pseudo drum machine.. Then swapping them out every so often.

That's why you should get an sp12, sample you fav drum sounds into it, make a song.... switch it off.. Those drum sounds are still there next time you turn it on.......without needing to load them.
..Thats one of the reasons I preferred to get the sp12 over the 1200...... plus you don't need to load the os from a floppy as on the 1200.
.... sp12 also keeps all your patterns, although I think it may forget the tempo and pitch/decay settings.

Good points for the SP 12.
By psr Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:59 pm
Metatron72 wrote:Just wanted to post some great examples of the SP1200 from GoldBaby's site. He's done sets where he flashed new sounds to EPROMS, but I think it was a DMX.

http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/sp1200.html

thats it. Thats exactly what I want. that sound is so right. thanks for the examples Metatron72
By crossings Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:06 pm
szr wrote:I think it may forget the tempo and pitch/decay settings.

it does... but everything else does stay in memory. the pitch setting used in your sequence will remain intact however... so despite the samples reverting to their original pitch, your sequence will play back perfectly once you set the proper BPM again.
By Metatron72 Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:08 pm
My pleasure psr. GoldBaby is THAT dude.

But you listen and you're back at what sparked the thread... DAMN I NEED 2g's...NOW. :lol:
By mr_debauch Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 pm
actually the eprom burner idea doesn't sound that bad... it isn't that tough to do once you have the burner... I dont think the burner and software costs much more than 70-100 bucks. It plugs USB, and you can create eprom images to store on the PC... I believe they easily can detect the type of eprom so it calibrates properly....

You can get eproms that are re-writable, in case the ones in the machine are read only... then you can experiment. I wonder if each sp12 sound is on it's own chip... that would make it even easier.
By crossings Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm
have you ever removed EPROMS from a piece of gear and put them back in? it's not really something you want to do more than once... the legs on the chips tend to break off easily, etc... i'm not going to stop you from trying... but the whole EPROM burner idea isn't as easy as it reads online... just sayin.
By mr_debauch Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 pm
crossings wrote:have you ever removed EPROMS from a piece of gear and put them back in? it's not really something you want to do more than once... the legs on the chips tend to break off easily, etc... i'm not going to stop you from trying... but the whole EPROM burner idea isn't as easy as it reads online... just sayin.

yeah true... plus you need socketed ones... I wouldn't solder unless it was for repairs.

but maybe the sp12 might not be worth doing that as much as the drumulator or what ever that drum machine only version was that they had back around that time..
By Dan L Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 am
mr_debauch wrote:
. I wonder if each sp12 sound is on it's own chip... that would make it even easier.

It is on 6 chips if I remember right. I have a sp-12 now and am planning on buying a burner so I can replace my Tom sounds with some bass, kick & snare sounds.
The trick with replacing sounds is they can't be longer then the sound you replace. They can be shorter but not longer.
So most guys replace a kick with a kick, snare for a snare.....
I read the article on the sp forum site a while back.
By Coz Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:10 am
gertie wrote:use an eprom puller

Sounds like you've got experience there G. :wink:

How many SP1200's have you got in storage and what does the 'mates rates' discount work out to?! :mrgreen:
By mr_debauch Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 am
Dan L wrote:It is on 6 chips if I remember right. I have a sp-12 now and am planning on buying a burner so I can replace my Tom sounds with some bass, kick & snare sounds.
The trick with replacing sounds is they can't be longer then the sound you replace. They can be shorter but not longer.
So most guys replace a kick with a kick, snare for a snare.....
I read the article on the sp forum site a while back.

that is quite neat... so is it some sort of .wav file or something that is stored or what? and is there a particular way to have files span across eproms?

also, I have heard of people with sequential circuits drumtraks that contain linn eproms.