Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By richie Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:01 pm
Crazyeddie wrote:I have a fully loaded in perfect shap 3000 I could trade you.

You'd need to trade 3 MPC 3000's to get an SP1200 with the way prices are.
By FromthePantoL.A. Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:17 am
"I have a fully loaded in perfect shap 3000 I could trade you."

Thanks for the offer but I already have a perfectly fine MPC 3000.
I want an LE , plus cash.

"You'd need to trade 3 MPC 3000's to get an SP1200 with the way prices are."

especially online.
By Ill-Green Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 pm
Steven Slate was asking what the Hip Hop community needs. I said an SP1200-Mini. Seriously, with all the clones out there, why no one has cloned an SP1200? Q
By richie Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:51 am
Ill-Green wrote:Steven Slate was asking what the Hip Hop community needs. I said an SP1200-Mini. Seriously, with all the clones out there, why no one has cloned an SP1200? Q

A good portion of the components have not been manufactured in 30 years. That is why there was a super small run of the 1998 reissue, sourcing the SSM filter IC's is too difficult and the cost of manufacturing them again would cost more than the amount of people that would be buying an SP1200.
By peterpiper Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm
@richie
Nope the SSM is not the main problem. I guess noone wouldn't mind (or even hear a difference) if its not the SSM2044 but another analog filter and with the release of the "new SSM2044" ...........................http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... or-synths/ case closed.

I guess the costs of a clone (just the components to get a machines sound and sequencer) are not that high. The most of the money will probably went into reverse engineering the original OS (I'm not into programming but to get infos out of the OS EPROM and recreating this into a new one might be not THAT easy. But I could be wrong on this and its simply copy and paste the code if the machine has the same components). Printing the PCBs = no problem. Resistors, Capacitators, RAM = no problem. Floppy drive.......well, Gotek is the answer here I guess. Yeah the exact buttons/pads are not available but I wouldn't mind havin rubber pads instead.
And then we have the problem with all the patented stuff. It would be hard to impossible to sell this without the permission of the holders of the patents

peace
By Icepulse Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:09 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Steven Slate was asking what the Hip Hop community needs. I said an SP1200-Mini. Seriously, with all the clones out there, why no one has cloned an SP1200? Q

That OP-1 is the closest thing. Great crunch.
By richie Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:12 am
Peace peter, thanks for the response. You are right, it was another filter. There was a discernible difference from the tests I saw posted online although not enough to make me get upset over. Maybe someone else can chime in about the actual filter that has yet (as far as I know) to be reproduced. Also keep in mind that the SSM was only reissued due to the amount of other instruments that can employ it. So without going deeper into schematics and down the list of components, it would be interesting to determine if the SP1200 can possibly be redone in kit form and the costs associated with it.

With relation to the EPROM - That's just a matter of dumping it. The SP1200 runs off an old Z80 processor which are easy to obtain however a better method would be to get a mcu for $15 that can be reprogrammed over usb (such examples can be referenced with projects on the Prophet 600, etc), runs at a higher mhz and program it to handle the instruction set, which I believe can affect the clock operations as it isn't only up to a crystal for it. The swing that people get from the SP12/SP1200 is due to the slight inaccuracy in the clock.

Now where things get difficult in relation to the OS aspect is since there is no source code (so Emu claims) within reach, it would need to be reverse engineered -- it would have to do with analyzing / dumping the logic before any new functions could be implemented -- which would deviate from having a 1:1 clone made.
By Ill-Green Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:25 pm
Even a knock-off would fly off shelves if done right. Make it up to date with SD reader, USB, expand the memory, add 8 more buttons and just call it the 1200.
By Cockdiesel Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:24 pm
Rossum electro asimil8tor is the sleeper here. Had a sales rep bending over backwards getting me info for me.

Not much media out there on it but he was able to get me the manual and it’s clearly the purpose of this new sampler.

Although not the same sonically it will get you about as close as one could get with lots more options.

A way better route tbh than getting a sp, I think. If you wanna dive into modular that is.
By Shostakovich Sat May 12, 2018 3:38 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:
However with the mix out not working, I’d have to use the other outputs. So I’d need another mixer or some other work around.

The mix out is just an analog multiplexer which will cost you about $1. :hmmm:
By Cockdiesel Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:26 am
Any one know how to dial in the start point better when sampling. Bass, snares, and main samples I can dial In good but I’m having a hard time with high hats for some reason.

I do the whole note repeat start point thing but mine seems to skip to many samples as I Move the faders. It really throws me off.

Such a simple machine, thing basically makes the beat itself but a wack hi hat just throws it all off. Been trying a few days to find a hi hat that wasn’t with a stock disk that had the attack I want.

Besides that anything you sample into this thing can make a dope melody or ambiance. Just got a presonus acp 88 which has helped a ton with the noise of this machine, especially for junk small pa rackmount gear.
I have a few channels that are noisey. Not too bad, but noticeable.
By Cockdiesel Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:35 am
Shostakovich wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:
However with the mix out not working, I’d have to use the other outputs. So I’d need another mixer or some other work around.

The mix out is just an analog multiplexer which will cost you about $1. :hmmm:

As a novice working on electronics I don’t feel comfortable working on it as the current prices are between $4-5000.00 dollars.... I paid half that less than a year ago, but for real I’d rather sent it off for 1000 bucks and get it 100 by a pro.

That was a wack one I didn’t end up buying. Got one off some old dude who said it’s been in his closet since 1992 in Nashville. I believe 2400 for the og grey one. It’s minty but could use a cleaning on the sliders I’m finding out. I plan on cleaning it up when I clean the reel to reel I found.