Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
User avatar
By v00d00ppl Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:50 pm
I can verify that some of the last reissues had HD floppy drives. My 1997 takes HD floppies without the tape trick.
User avatar
By invhide Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:35 am
Matriks wrote:
invhide wrote: The thing is that I got to find someone I trust that can service my Sp here in Switzerland..


That's a hard one around here :cry:
Maybe you can contact Forum member Jibber, he knows some address(es)... Eventually he helps you out..
If it's just about soldering some parts I can do it for you.


Yep, I asked Jibber already, but as I'm living in Welschland it's a bit too far away! Thanks a lot for offering your help, but I wouldn't ask you to come here just for soldering a some points! :lol:

Horseclick wrote:i phoned my tech this is what he said.

all sp's sp12 sp1200 grey and sp1200 black shipped with lcd screen with backlights Sp12/sp1200 grey shipped with the same display black reissue e-mu couldnt source the same ones so had to build a small circuit board to accommodate the newer screen with the dual row of pins on the side of the display.

all the front panel circuit boards shipped with inverters to power the el foil its a small black box on rear of the front panel.

so perhaps your el foil needs replacing to light up your current screen he said its only 2 wires to do that, or your inverter is dead which is not needed if your going to go ahead and install a vfd.

good luck brother


Thanks for asking this! :worthy:
Yes, you're actually absolutely right. I never noticed this before but my screen has a very very low backlight (seems blue). I saw this yesterday at night fall while still working on my sp. But, I will probably change the entire display as the viewing angle is so poor..

Just need a tech.. as I got to resolder a pad, change some slider and change the display... :Sigh:
User avatar
By Dj Khayos Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 pm
v00d00ppl wrote:I can verify that some of the last reissues had HD floppy drives. My 1997 takes HD floppies without the tape trick.


The last(all?) reissues indeed had HD floppy drives, mine did NOT read/write HD disks without the disk taping trick, so I did a simple mod to the diskdrive by just removing the DD/HD switch and soldering together the two connections.

This works on the Ensoniq EPS16+ that has HD drive too.
User avatar
By WASKMUSIC Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:33 pm
the display looks nice dude! can someone share a link to the noritake display? in europe would be dope, if not, some other links?

what you've got to do to install it? soldering shouldnt be a problem! i got the grey OG SP1200.

thanks!
User avatar
By v00d00ppl Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:21 pm
Dj Khayos wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:I can verify that some of the last reissues had HD floppy drives. My 1997 takes HD floppies without the tape trick.


The last(all?) reissues indeed had HD floppy drives, mine did NOT read/write HD disks without the disk taping trick, so I did a simple mod to the diskdrive by just removing the DD/HD switch and soldering together the two connections.

This works on the Ensoniq EPS16+ that has HD drive too.


Mine was pre final 125 run. It says 97 on the serial. The previous owner of my EPS modded my EPS classic to also use HD disks too. It's good to know these things. Thanks for the knowledge.
User avatar
By Horseclick Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 am
WASKMUSIC wrote:the display looks nice dude! can someone share a link to the noritake display? in europe would be dope, if not, some other links?

what you've got to do to install it? soldering shouldnt be a problem! i got the grey OG SP1200.

thanks!


sorry dude i did not see this i bought from noritake direct, just need to know someone who operates a business as they sell direct to business's but you could try as a individual.

it has been smooth sailing since the install.
User avatar
By WASKMUSIC Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:28 pm
hey man, ordered a display today.

noritake cu16025-uw2j, should be the right one with a perfect fitting.

where you take the 5v+ and - from? any info on that?

so, the noritake displays can use some sort of colourfilters on top. did you use one or is it just the screen you installed?

looking ahead for some more info on that vfd display from you.

mine should be here in the next days/weeks.

thanks for giving me some answers. btw, could you take a picture from the inside with the vfd installed? thanks bro
User avatar
By v00d00ppl Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:13 pm
Does anyone know what Curtis chips the final 125 units were using? My Studio 440 is using the CEM3389 and was wondering if it was the same filter.
User avatar
By Horseclick Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:56 pm
WASKMUSIC wrote:hey man, ordered a display today.

noritake cu16025-uw2j, should be the right one with a perfect fitting.

where you take the 5v+ and - from? any info on that?

so, the noritake displays can use some sort of colourfilters on top. did you use one or is it just the screen you installed?

looking ahead for some more info on that vfd display from you.

mine should be here in the next days/weeks.

thanks for giving me some answers. btw, could you take a picture from the inside with the vfd installed? thanks bro



spoke to my tech but i had a look also.

the wires are wired pin for pin like the old display meaning 1-1 2-2 3-3 4-4 etc

so when you looking down at the circit baord, the wires coming up from the board should fold down (towards the top of the sp circuitboard) into the displays holes perfectly

do not cross wires 1/2 2/1 as the noritake is pin for pin perfect for the og grey sps display.

vfd does not need 5v from anywhere it uses the power from the one of 14 pins so dont worry about that.

yea i had a filter in the window section of my sp need to hot glue it in as some idiot touched it and i need to reopen it up to get it back in position.

be very careful as your trying to diy a machine worth alot of euros man, dont **** it up.
User avatar
By WASKMUSIC Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:09 am
thanks for the input man. found a dude on the sp forums (dxa). he told me to cross pin 1 + 2 and 3-14 is the same.

so
1 on 2
2 on 1
and the rest number to number (for example pin7 to pin7)

now i am confused about that...??

is it possible to open up the SP and take some close-up pictures from the display and the wiring? i dont want to force you to take pictures haha but it would be very dope if u could do that. there arent a lot of screws to open her up, so i hope its no problem for you. :worthy:

got her opened up at home, only looking, no beatmaking for now. i miss her :lol:

so, as soon as i know the right wiring she'll be back haha :)
User avatar
By WASKMUSIC Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:09 pm
here is a PDF i wrote about the noritake installation, just load it if u want.

https://goo.gl/uagL26

and thanks to the others that helped me out on this!!! :worthy:

WASK
User avatar
By v00d00ppl Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:46 pm
When you guys track out from your 8 out mixer into a soundcard do you use a soundcard with 8 preamps? Do I need the 8 preamps? Thinking about getting an Apollo 8p. Experts please chime in.

What I want to do is use 4 outs of the SP1200 and 4 outs of other synths, samplers, etc. into the x desk to do the summing back into my DAW.
User avatar
By Horseclick Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:36 am
Low Hiss wrote:I recently installed a blue on black LED display and mounted a contrast pot for it at the back of my black SP.
Looks dope and the knob is a cool little mod to have, I can read my display from pretty much any angle by adjusting the contrast.

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/HUraC
Video of the contrast pot in action: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCFi-mskiUT/



nice dude congratulations :)