Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By richie Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:04 am
Prices will go down when most people grow tired of making the same sounding beats as their youtube counterparts.
By SEMS Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:28 pm
I dunno richie, I'm inclined to agree about falling prices in the future for some things (MPC3K for example, they'll come back to earth for a bit), but I feel like the SP is fully in the "collectors" price bracket now, and usually once something like this goes to that level, it doesn't come back down.

What I mean is that most of the people who buy SPs now ain't using them in a professional capacity, or really trying to be pros with them. I feel like SOME people who are buying 3Ks are still trying to be pros. Once they see the hassle ain't worth it they'll sell the 3K back & get a Touch or something. I feel like this isn't the case for the SP.

I might be wrong tho... I definitely hope I am. I'd love to have one. Shoulda bought one 15 years ago when they were at their lowest prices.
By distortedtekno Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:59 pm
The prices will never go down. Consider it just like the Roland TB-303, TR-808, TR-909, and many other classics. Those 3 pieces of gear in particular set the precident for price gouging, which is why the SP-1200 and MPC3000 prices have climbed too. It's all about the inflated demand on ebay which is the main reason, as you can all see from over the years.
By JAYCEE3K Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 am
I don't know...the 3k is worth every bit of hassle to me...not sure why. I still use controllers too. That someone would consider selling it in turn to settle for a Touch seems ridiculous. And the current asking prices of the SP 1200 on eBay is even more ridiculous.
By JUKE 179r Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:45 pm
About a year ago, the MPC3000 was going for $700 to $800 on eBay. Now they are double if not damn near triple the price they were last year.
By distortedtekno Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:13 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:About a year ago, the MPC3000 was going for $700 to $800 on eBay. Now they are double if not damn near triple the price they were last year.

I've seen 60s for around that price. But never the 3K. They've been around $1200 and up. Maybe the ones you saw were in bad shape?
By richie Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:43 am
I only buy my gear from Armens because I like the 40% mark up and the sh*t is still banged up looking. On House Hunters International, they call the banged up look 'rustic' or has 'character'.
By peeping tom Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:37 am
hahaha **** the sp's are over 4k now boys. i'd have to sell my whip to buy one :(
By v00d00ppl Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:25 pm
peeping tom wrote:hahaha **** the sp's are over 4k now boys. i'd have to sell my whip to buy one :(

That's nuts man. I was lucky to get a mint one last year for 2800. I had a shot in 2007 to buy a mint one for 1500, but alcohol happened.

Another alternative is to buy the decimort 2 plugin and use the sp1200 mode there. It does the best job software can do emulating the mix out output. Decimort 2 also emulats ASR10, EPS classic, S20, Emax, and Studio 440. As a studio 440 owner I actually use it to determine if it's even worth my time sampling on the studio 440.

You can then process your mono one shots into decimort and bounce it into the analog rytm. Turn off the drum oscillators in analog rytm and use the Analog VCAs, Filter +overdrive section, with a sequencer that records timing shifts and automation changes.

1500 + 49 = 1549 not a bad deal. Or if you go the used route 1100+49=1149.
By yabyum Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:44 pm
I love mine too much to ever let it go i think but from an investment standpoint I wish I bought 12 of them. I bought mine about 4 years ago for like $1800 and to see them now at 4k is crazy!
By richie Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:10 am
One thing I do enjoy about the SP1200 is - I don't want to sound pretentious and say the "Swing" on it but however uneven the sequencer timing is on it, I like the way it sounds.
By SEMS Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:13 pm
I saw that one the other day & wondered how high it would go. Wish I woulda bought one new back in 95, these things have even gone up considering the rate of inflation!! It's nuts! At least the 3Ks are still technically "cheaper" than when they were new 20 years ago.