Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Airyck Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:57 pm
In my endless search for cool broken gear for cheap....

Craigslist post from a recycling center lead me to a Yamaha EX5 keyboard they had in pieces.

Someone came to the recycling center and dropped it off, apparently they were trying to fix it and got in way over their heads :lol:

I bought it for $80 took it home and put all the circuit boards back and reconnected the cables, crossed my fingers and suddenly the display lights up and has images and words!!!

Plugged in headphones and the audio works too. It's missing a lot of screws and hardware but it works. One dead key but I can fix that :)

It also turns out it has the SCSI expansion and the Flash ROM expansion in it.

So far it sounds really good, can't wait to really dig in and learn this one.

Anybody else have one?

P.S. ( I also found a Roland XP-80 for free, it works just needs the volume slider cleaned and one button fixed now, not really into this one so I'll probably sell it, let me know if anyone is looking)
By Clint Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:21 pm
I love these rescued from death type stories. The EX5 is a good piece, former Yamaha flagship I believe before the Motif range. Still worth copping at the right price though. XP80 is one big son of a ****, I'd take the XP60 though...
By Airyck Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:40 pm
Clint wrote:I love these rescued from death type stories. The EX5 is a good piece, former Yamaha flagship I believe before the Motif range. Still worth copping at the right price though. XP80 is one big son of a ****, I'd take the XP60 though...

Yeah, With all the expansions (like the flash expansion, apparently it's very rare) I came out with a very good deal on this EX5.
And to think it would have just been recycled. It's a mission of mine I guess and I end up with a bunch of cool gear in the process.
Things I'm not into I make a little money on and someone else gets a sweet piece of gear that would have been in the trash :)