Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By andromeda Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:23 pm
I've read several posts about Ellis and Arab.

I'd like to know if anyone knows if Ellis uses corks and fat pads? I feel like he doesn't, but most of the vids I see of him that are currently out, he's mostly playing that Machine thing. I'm NEVER getting that thing. lol...

Im practicing all The Jeremy Ellis vids. But I wanted to see if some of you pro's out there have already possibly researched this his style could possibly set a new trooper straight...

1. Does Ellis use Thick Fat pads or stock?
2. Does Ellis use corks in his MPC's? and... if he's using them on the 2k... and i'm on a 4k... would his use or non use of thicks/corks not apoply to me because im on a 4k... and there is no gap so ... just chill buddy cause you've got the best set up already and don't go messing with it cause Ellis don't use it anyway!?!??!!!
lol... as you can see ... I still got questions!!!!

and lastly... Im not discussing Arab cause I personally think Ellis's technique is logically way more advanced. (maybe i'm wrong on this.. if so ... explain why im wrong and i'd appreciate that knowledge as well).

Thanking you kindly in advance for any information any of you "Jedi's of the Finger bang Circle" could impart to this young bright Padawan of focus and energy! :D

I'll add that I played Trap drums for 15 years, so I can play Latin syncopated rhythms, and I've been playing piano for about ten. So I do understand a samba foot pattern with clave snare with Jazz alternating right hand patterns and could play many of these at one time, and plan on applying this knowledge to the Ellis Paradigm. this is not bragging in any way, its just to be clear on how I plan to apply Ellis technique.
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:49 pm
Does he still use an MPC? Most of his MPC use appears to date back a few years, he's a total Maschine-boy these days. I actually believe you'll struggle to do some of his more extravagant stuff on an MPC because even with fat pads and corx, the sensitivity really isn't as good as Maschine's IMO. My Mk2 pretty much plays a note if an eye lash falls on a pad :)

But to answer the MPC pads question, from the vids I've seen he's using stock pads but perhaps he's modded the underside for more sensitivity.

As for corx, I'm now UK dealer for MPC Stuff and I have two boxes of corx and one of the boxes is labelled 'Corx for MPC4000/60/3000/2500/5000', which are thinner than the corx to use on MPC2000/2000XL and MPD. So you can add the corx to a 4000 if you wish.

I'm going to write an article about setting up your pads for maximum possible sensitivity (and reliability), as it's not as clear cut as people think. One problem comes from the variances in manufacturing tolerances, resulting in the gaps between sensors and casing being different heights even between the same MPC model. It simply depends when your MPC was manufactured as the actual manufacturing is handled by different suppliers throughout the years.

As for technique, Ellis does seem to be more accomplished and I certainly prefer his performances over Arab's.
By andromeda Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:21 pm
“he's a total Maschine-boy these days. I actually believe you'll struggle to do some of his more extravagant stuff on an MPC because even with fat pads and corx, the sensitivity really isn't as good as Maschine's IMO. My Mk2 pretty much plays a note if an eye lash falls on a pad”
See that’s really informative right there. So it seems that possibly using Ellis technique on a Maschine thing is technically easier because the Mashince thing has superior sensitivity! MAN!!!... I kinda love my 4k and 2K! I kinda hate to think that it might actually be better for me to switch… (scratching head… ) BUT I NEED FACTS!!! And if them’s the facts… than them’s the facts… Would possibly that Ren Thing get me… equivalent sensitivity? I can’t really see myself switching, but anyway… I NEED FACTS!!!

“I'm going to write an article about setting up your pads for maximum possible sensitivity (and reliability), as it's not as clear cut as people think.”
Please do! Theres lots of scattered info on different machines here, but please condense all this info in one post with real answers as I know Personally I would Appreciate that knowledge Jedi!

So basically it sounds so far that Corks will eliminate space in a 4k which will increase sensitivity, which means I gotta get em.

I have also noticed, that way back in the day, Ellis seemed to always be using STOCK grey 2kxl pads. So maybe the stocks are possibly better, just suit em with corks? I know your not going to have anything definitive to say about some dude in Cali’s set up… LOL! However, since you’ve obviously got FACTS to apply to your answer, what’s your opinion.

Corks and Fatties for the 4k to best replicate that Ellis set up on 4k?
Prolly same for 2k? Actually, now that I think about it, the reason Ellis didn’t use the fatties on the 2kxl might just simply be because at the time, they weren’t invented yet? (mighta hit on something there)… might also be why he wasn't using a Machine in the old days, cause they weren't out yet possibly?

I will add however that I do enjoy the vids he does with that Machine thing because the pads light up every time he hits em which makes it much clearer visually what he's actually doing. makes for a better visual!
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:17 pm
The Ren has nice sensitivity out of the box, not to Maschine levels, but pretty good. Sensitivity is down to personal taste though, some may prefer lower sensitivities so they can avoid accidental hits. In fact I find with Maschine my technique needs to be more disciplined than with an MPC, you can't be sloopy otherwise you'll get all sorts of unwanted hits from brushing past pads accidentally.

You should note that the full size fat pads are not extra sensitive, it's the corx that handle that. The underside without the corx should be identical to the stock pads. The fat pads advantage is looks and a different feel to the thinner pads. Only the 1000 fat pads are extra sensitive 'out of the box' as they are moulded with the corx built in.

Ellis is sponsored by NI, so not sure if he was already using Maschine before that sponsorship. But anyway, I don't think fat pads were available when some of those vids were out. However I suspect you're over thinking this though, I reckon he's just picking up a stock MPC and doing his thing, the MPC2000XL has a very nice sensitivity out of the box, but I suspect someone like Ellis can work his magic with most MPCs.

If you wish to play with sensitivity, you could try using layers of electrical tape cut to size, others use sheets of adhesive rubber cut to size, or you could try a set of corx and if necessary build up for extra sensitivity using tape. But fat pads are not a requirement for increasing sensitivity, it's mostly about reducing the gap between the bottom of the pad and the sensor, as well as ensuring your pads are seated well and secured evenly by the top casing.
By andromeda Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 pm
Great Reply! Thank you! Your right when you say im overthinking it. But that's just the way I am. Gotta have the best set up so I can play to my best ability. Literally thousands of hours slip by practicing! you DONT want to put that kind of time into something that your not sure your getting you best performance out of! At least that's the way I look at it.

Thanks again! You really just answered The key points and its much appreciated.

Gonna just get the corks as im low on cash, however it sounds as though that's really the main thing that *** WOULD *** improve the sensitivity! :)
By andromeda Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:59 pm
hahaha!!! too funny!

But bottom line though = he's the best their is! period... :nod:

I know... ya'll just taking the piss... its all good...

continue with Jokes... I think they're funny! He does look unbelievably tiny behind that thing!!! hahaha!!! :nod:

I do agree that some of the new sounds he's doing... NOT FEELING IT. So I agree with the fact the he is spewing the corn a bit. :nod:
By andromeda Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:35 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mI4SutQJpQ

Video that JVC posted on how to create your own "cork like DIY fix" with Electrical tape. Seems as cheap as can possibly be, so maybe i'll try this just to see what the difference is like the 4k, without spending any money.

anyone got a hardware store fix that actually has the right sized circular pre cuts with adhesive on the other side? I've heard of these glue fixes, but it sounds a bit involved and as you can see... Im not the most PATIENT person alive!
By andromeda Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 pm
So this weekend I'm going to try this tape fix. I will reply as to my personal experience if it seems to help me on a 4k.

I set it up the 4k on a keyboard stand at about 40" in height. You really need to be able to pound those little "whac-a-mole" pads with your finger tips. Just like playing keyboards, form COUNTS FOLKS! you gotta have the right angle or your just not going to perform like you wanted to. Im playing with EVERYTHING right now!

Angle
height
technique
Velocity levels on each drum in the program set to different levels.

ALL these pieces play a part it seems to me.

What I got right now is just fine actually, i'm just trying to FINE TUNE it. I know from Piano that all these things are important and in my Humble opinion.

I'll be struggling for months probably as this is not easy stuff, however I have gotten great info here that has assisted in me getting things together! Good looking MPC forums.

ONE Things for sure here folks! Learning this technique does WONDERS for your piano playing! Man! its like in baseball when your about to get up to bat... and your warming up swinging with 3 bats in your grasp... than you grab that one bat and you feel like HERCULES!!!! yeah... get on piano after practicing this JE FB stuff and ... MAN can you can fly around those keys like a pro!!! lol! NOT KIDDING!!!!

Any more feedback from people that have been actually practicing this technique for while, i'd love to hear your input.