Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By manji Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:42 pm
I've been dicking around on the internet all day, and I finally looked up Maschine. Seems really bad, but I don't find anyone using it how I would (which is weird, I know).

I would essentially just use it as a synth module that was like all my other synth modules, hooked up to the back of my 4K (I'v been sitting here thinking about it and I don't think I could get rid of the 4Ks sequencer). This is how I currently use my computer. So I have a few questions as to how effective this would actually be. It seems like you would essentially get Massive, Kontakt, Guitar Rig, etc etc in one table top unit (thats obviously connected to the computer).

These go for both the MKII and Studio

If you stay within Native Instruments Komplete lineup, what exactly ISN'T accessible within the Maschines screen themselves that you'd need to just run it as a stand alone processor. I know launching the programs, obviously. But what about routing for audio/video? I have a Vs2480 and a RBus card, would I be able to set routing for any of the Komplete stuff through that from the screens?

I keep trying to find videos on specific stuff, but how editable are the parameters in 3rd party Kontak libraries like say LA Scoring Strings or Orcean Way Drums? Are all the sampler features editable from the unit, like routing, amp, filter, group editing, etc etc? How does the Midi Learn work, or is it in there at all? What about my libraries that don't show up in the Kontakt Browser but you have to search for the files to open?

What about Reaktor? Could you sit there and build synths on the Maschine? What about Guitar Rig? I've never really messed with it, but the thought of using my Rolands input into guitar rig is pretty inticing.

If you were JUST using it as a sound module, no sequencing or anything like that, which would you get? I'm used to tabletop synths and rackmounts, so I'm not particularly graphic oriented, so I'm kind of considering a MKII over the Studio, but not if they can't access the same level of editing in each program.

Truth be told, Kontak and Massive are the only computer audio things I ever, ever use, and mostly Kontakt. If I could run NIs Komplete directly from either Maschine as just a sound module, I could save a lot of desk space getting rid of am monitor (and a horrible, horrible work flow, more importantly). If you were trying to use Maschine without a computer screen, which would you get? I know the Studio is the obvious answer, but if I'm not sequencing and just loading/editing patches, is it still the way to go? Anything I'm leaving out?
By SupremeSoulstice Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:00 am
If you're not going to use it for anything other than a module you're wasting money. I own the studio and you can run all that software seamlessly within. Just my 2 cents I've owned the 2000xl, 3000 and the 4k. The studio shits on all of them in my opinion. I loved the sequencer in the mpc line but the studio is just as dope!
By manji Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 pm
Went down and played with one the other day and man...you might be right.

I'm probably gonna save, get the studio and it very well could get me off the 4K. That thing was amazing. It's like someone FINALLY modernized the MPC.