Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By tapedeck Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:38 pm
look up information on the s20 - it's basically the same thing, just built into a mixer. they are neat little samplers - lo-fi, but also missing some features you might be used to. the 'sequencer' is the biggest piece of garbage i've ever had the misfortune to use...just avoid that altogether...the timing drifts especially if using loops, it is almost never played back like you input it.
By mr_debauch Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:53 pm
i have one and it's dope.. the sequencer... i pretend it doesn't have one.... it's worse than the sp-303.

it has a good pitch feature with the faders, the reverse button is really great for sound design.
By acid kalle Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:04 pm
thanks. i will give it a try if i get it cheap. i never hear if it. and if yu can use it as a mixer in combination with some sample shit, that sounds good to me..
i worked for a while with the sp 303. but i did not like it at all due to the missing pitch....
By mr_debauch Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:46 pm
yeah that is the only thing i dislike about the 303 also.. it has pitch shift, but not without being able to lengthen the sample

it is sort of a mixer.. a 1 channel dj mixer with the second channel being the sampler. it has a decent phono amp too.
By joesh Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:02 pm
Interesting that everyone says its not interesting, and to add to that it can't do anything? I have one and its possible to be very creative with it, you just have to work on it. If you're interested to see one in action watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiVl6foD88k

I hope that helps.
By tapedeck Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:12 pm
joesh wrote:Interesting that everyone says its not interesting, and to add to that it can't do anything? I have one and its possible to be very creative with it, you just have to work on it.

mr_debauch wrote:i have one and it's dope

tapedeck wrote:they are neat little samplers

:hmmm:
By joesh Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:01 am
Hi Tapedeck, I see what you mean, we all have different viewpoints, although I think you'll find mine and yours say the same thing (in a round about way).

I sometimes wonder if people have really pushed the limits of their equipment, or just use it at face value, both are good I guess. However, this Remix 16 is one of those odd machines that can, if really used well, become an instrument by itself - just watch, as an example, the link I placed. The one main drawback, if you just pick one of these up from a 2nd hand source, is often the lack of memory space, which even at 30 seconds (+/-) can be used creatively. You can get a bit more out of the memory by changing into Mono, and also downsizing the bitrate, which is all done from the machine when switched on. The other possibility is to buy an upgrade (16MB?), which amazingly still seems to be possible.

I also have an MPC 1000 so I indeed see that the AKai Remix 16 is a little primitive in its capabilities, in comparison. But sometimes this can be a godsend. Its interesting to see that, not unlike other 'simple' machines, (ex: Lomo Cameras, or old fashioned Brownie Pinhole cameras), the results are relative not to the machine, but what you try to do with it and how you use its weaknesses to your advantage.
By mr_debauch Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:04 pm
in that vid the guy is flicking the reverse button like i was talking about... that really is a sound design feature of the machine.

I made parts of this on the remix 16 and sequenced the result in the computer
By tapedeck Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:26 pm
yea i used the live reverse feature all the time - that and the stutter were great.

also the fact that EVERY button on it can be set to respond to midi - that is a feature i've never seen in another machine and meant you could do anything you wanted on the machine (including edit samples) from a keyboard.
By peterpiper Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:24 pm
tapedeck wrote:
also the fact that EVERY button on it can be set to respond to midi - that is a feature i've never seen in another machine and meant you could do anything you wanted on the machine (including edit samples) from a keyboard.

Thats a great feature. But there are other machines that can do this too (probably not EVERY function but still enough to edit sounds). AFAIK this is done with SysEx messages most of the time. But I havn't seen people using this. Programming Sysex is more fun for computer and programming people that for musicians I guess.
AKAI havn't put much SysEx stuff into MPCs. The only MPC I know that really use it is the 4000.

peace
By Bugfix Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm
tapedeck wrote:also the fact that EVERY button on it can be set to respond to midi - that is a feature i've never seen in another machine and meant you could do anything you wanted on the machine (including edit samples) from a keyboard.

I know it sounds hella repetitive... but it's one of greatest JJOS features for 1000/2500 (it even virtually adds controls, that are not physically on the unit).
By tapedeck Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:59 pm
peterpiper wrote:
tapedeck wrote:

Thats a great feature. But there are other machines that can do this too (probably not EVERY function but still enough to edit sounds). AFAIK this is done with SysEx messages most of the time. But I havn't seen people using this. Programming Sysex is more fun for computer and programming people that for musicians I guess.

thats cool i didnt know that, but the beauty of it on the s20 at least was you just picked a root note and then all the buttons were laid out on midi note numbers sequentially from there up. not editable, but once you found yer way around it was great.
By Drewthebassdude Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:30 pm
You can use CAKEWALK to sequence or use a dedicated hardware sequencer ex. Roland, Alexis, Yamaha. When using CAKEWALK, get a midi to sub cable. What I like about the Remix16 is it's PHAT, WARM , LOFI BIT RATE. Thickens up the sample tremendously, especially if you run samples thru a DJ mixer EQ or software filter!
By richie Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:57 am
^ I feel like I just read a review on Craigslist to give an excuse to up charge people on a sampler.