Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By richie Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:28 am
@hok-2 you raise good points though. Having a bunch of program templates that could easily be repurposed for new programs.

BTW - I didn't at all think you were trying to get this guy business at all, I was just curious what you found useful about them.
By hok-2 Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:33 pm
Haha no worry's @Richie, I just felt a bit awkward about promoting some dudes stuff, like I might have some hidden agenda. The whole nature of sampling is pretty much you can take whatever you want from anything you fancy, as I'm sure we both know : )
But yeah, not having to set up a whole program is pretty useful.
And of course you don't have to buy anyone else's disks to do that, just make one and save it, but like you say, it's very useful having a template so it doesn't interrupt your creativity.
Cus some aspects of using a S3000 are quite tedious, especially if some of the buttons are temperamental.

I've had my S3000 about sixteen years and it was second hand when I bought it, it still works
I doubt all these new plastic bits of fancy crap will last that long.

Anyway, Been working on a beat.
https://soundcloud.com/flamprider/science-3-2
Off to the pub.
CND.
By jimmie Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:00 pm
craveone wrote:i'd skip on the s3k... you have a mpc3k right now... go with an s3200xl. its the mpc 3k in a rack box with fx... the s3000 is based around the mpc2000.

The MPC2000 is based around the S2000/S3000XL which are different to the S3000.
The S3000 has the better build and converters. It's got the same converters and build as the S3200XL, except the S3200XL does not have the additional transformer (that the S3000 and S3200 have) for powering the analogue outs boards. The S3200XL allows for a newer OS though which allows multis. It also uses newer-style ram. But yes, the S3000, S3200 and S3200XL sound exactly the same (without using effects). The S2000, S3200XL sound different.

The S3200XL uses the same EB16FX board that the S3000XL can use.
The S3000, S3200 have built in effects instead.
I prefer the sound of the effects in the S3000, S3200 to the EB16 board, but that's subjective.
By Edd.Buczybuda Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:27 pm
As far as I know, the S3000 and S3200 have the same converters as MPC3000.
All these versions with XL base on guts from MPC2000XL, which is not bad or better - It's mostly about the taste.

S3000/S3200 has in use AES/EBU and is famous as it's analogue outputs have that specific "old school sound", not saying better than XL "sound" but some people just like it - I do.

BTW. S2800 seems to be similar in terms of device architecture in general - Similar to S3000/S3200 - Not XL versions.

The MPC2000 is based around the S2000/S3000XL which are different to the S3000.
The S3000 has the better build and converters. It's got the same converters and build as the S3200XL, except the S3200XL does not have the additional transformer (that the S3000 and S3200 have) for powering the analogue outs boards. The S3200XL allows for a newer OS though which allows multis. It also uses newer-style ram. But yes, the S3000, S3200 and S3200XL sound exactly the same (without using effects). The S2000, S3200XL sound different.

The S3200XL uses the same EB16FX board that the S3000XL can use.
The S3000, S3200 have built in effects instead.
I prefer the sound of the effects in the S3000, S3200 to the EB16 board, but that's subjective.
jimmie
Valued Member
Last edited by Edd.Buczybuda on Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
By richie Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 am
@Edd.Buczybuda Could you possibly elaborate on why having a AES/EBU digital connection has any bearing over the sound as it does not quite make sense to me.

The "sound" that people tend to be after with these samplers usually takes its place when being sent out of the analog outs.
By Cockdiesel Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 am
It might just work better with his Korg 8 track digital.

Naw I’m just playing, first time I seen something like that too.

Although I have had thought about the digital out on the asr and how it will still have that sound but a little cleaner. Maybe that’s his angle.
By Edd.Buczybuda Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:30 am
richie wrote:@Edd.Buczybuda Could you possibly elaborate on why having a AES/EBU digital connection has any bearing over the sound as it does not quite make sense to me.

The "sound" that people tend to be after with these samplers usually takes its place when being sent out of the analog outs.

Exactly! I edited my post as it didn't make any sense at this point - AES/EBU isn't responsible (obviously) for this "old school sound" of S2800/S3000/S3200 as it has nothing to do with analogue outputs.

Sorry for confusion and thanks for the post - I probably wouldn't notice by myself that "bug" as I don't read my posts after :worthy:

Thanks
By Edd.Buczybuda Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:58 pm
craveone wrote:i'd skip on the s3k... you have a mpc3k right now... go with an s3200xl. its the mpc 3k in a rack box with fx... the s3000 is based around the mpc2000.

1. XL models hardware base on more closely to MPC2000XL - Not MPC3000.
2. S3000 has the same converters as MPC3000, NOT MPC2000.
3. A sampler isn't just an MPC in a rack with fx - It's a totally different device with own, specific firmware and functionality.

S3X00XL:
1. Device guts / FX board from MPC2000XL - FX sounds cheap in compare to S3000 built-in.
2. Cheaper than S3000 and much more popular/available.
3. Extremely easy to install internal storage, and maintain/service the device.
4. Sounds cleaner than MPC3000/S3000/S3200 but without that characteristic "old school sound".
5. More resources, more features, more spare parts on the market.
6. No Timecode Sync but it has SPDIF.
By richie Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:43 pm
@Edd.Buczybuda I'm not saying you're doing this but this whole argument that the S3000 sounds better than the S3000 XL series is almost trolling at this point.

They are both quite clean samplers although lack any real interesting character in my opinion. I think a better argument is to be made if you're talking about sampler interpolation or lack thereof and how that impacts the character of what is coming out of the unit.

Maybe it's me but I just can't tell a clear difference in sound between the non to XL series to have an actual arguable point of one being better sounding than the other. Every point of reference people want to make about "why" the non XL series is better than the XL always points to the same usual quote: "It's the same sample engine as the MPC 3000" and is left at that. In my opinion, the character of the MPC 3000 in the most part has to do with the timing of the sequencer more than anything else. So much so that if I used the MPC 3000 to sequence an S2000 and didn't mention it online, you'd still have people going on about how amazing the MPC 3000 sounds.

In my opinion, an arguable point of sound would be better made if we're talking about E-mu or Ensoniq units as there is a clear difference of character to be heard with them vs these Akai units. If I'm at all off base or anyone thinks I'm talking out my ass then please school me.

Also isn't the DSP used on the EB16 the same IC that is used on board with the non XL S3000/S3200 ?
By Edd.Buczybuda Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:53 pm
@Edd.Buczybuda I'm not saying you're doing this but this whole argument that the S3000 sounds better than the S3000 XL series is almost trolling at this point.

I totally agree - They sound different - Not sure why you mention about it?

They are both quite clean samplers although lack any real interesting character in my opinion. I think a better argument is to be made if you're talking about sampler interpolation or lack thereof and how that impacts the character of what is coming out of the unit.

XL versions are cleaner - S3000 sounds old school.

Maybe it's me but I just can't tell a clear difference in sound between the non to XL series to have an actual arguable point of one being better sounding than the other.

Not sure, why you mention second time in the message to me about any "better".
It's not a case about better, but about the flavour.

"It's the same sample engine as the MPC 3000" and is left at that.

I'm a little bit confused.

In my opinion, the character of the MPC 3000 in the most part has to do with the timing of the sequencer more than anything else.

Yeah, pretty much like that but also, this "creamy" sound - Converters installed in these machines are quite unique in sound.

So much so that if I used the MPC 3000 to sequence an S2000 and didn't mention it online, you'd still have people going on about how amazing the MPC 3000 sounds.

Sounds good, I think not as good as MPC4000 but not as bad as 2000.

Also isn't the DSP used on the EB16 the same IC that is used on board with the non XL S3000/S3200 ?

Not sure about it but FX board in my 2000XL doesn't sound as good as S3000 built-in - Maybe due to cheaper converters.
By richie Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:25 am
I'm just curious, do you actually own an S3000 series sampler?