Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Scott Righteous Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:02 am
Has anyone using the DJS-1000 noticed midi latency being added when changing patterns?

I have an SP-16, and even when it is the midi master, changing patterns seems to add a small midi lag which adds up over the length of a song. If I just loop one pattern, it stays consistent. I do love the simplicity of the SP-16 but wonder if possibly the issue was fixed when they put out the DJS-1000?
By chino Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:05 pm
Scott Righteous wrote:Has anyone using the DJS-1000 noticed midi latency being added when changing patterns?

I have an SP-16, and even when it is the midi master, changing patterns seems to add a small midi lag which adds up over the length of a song. If I just loop one pattern, it stays consistent. I do love the simplicity of the SP-16 but wonder if possibly the issue was fixed when they put out the DJS-1000?

I tested the DJS-1000 hooked up via MIDI to my Roland DJ-808 controller. Latency was tight (for me). I run a bunch of different patterns simultaneously and it all stayed on beat.
By Scott Righteous Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:58 pm
Here is what I do to test this stuff.

I have the SP-16 synced to Logic with MMC and Midi clock (MTC never works in my SP-16). I make a pattern in the SP-16 with just a snare drum on the first beat, and record into Logic for five minutes.

I see how far off the first beat is according to what logic says it should be - this is never ever going to be dead on, but I'm concerned with consistency, not latency. For example, my Sp-16 will be off by half a millisecond, and five minutes later it's still only off by half a millisecond. I check throughout the recording and the average latency is very low.

Then I copy my simple pattern into all 16 in the same scene. These all just have a snare on the one. I keep in sync with Logic and record the results for five minutes while I am changing those patterns, and then check the latency. The first few beats are fine, very low latency just like when I was only using one pattern. But as the recording progresses, all those pattern changes add to the latency and by the five minute mark the beat is 25 milliseconds off.

Yeah, I know 25 ms seems low, but with drums, the stuff on tape vs the stuff from the SP-16 start to flam and sound off. It's an audible lack of sync.
By Scott Righteous Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 pm
So I just re-tested this today. Keeping the SP-16 as the midi master does make a huge difference.
When it is not the master, the drift can add up to 35ms over time.
When it is the master, the drift varies, but is not worth mentioning.

So I guess I just always need to keep it as the master.
Still curious if the DJS-1000 has this issue, my assumption is that it is based on the same code and has the issue.
By Ill-Green Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:07 am
The DJS-1000 was always on time when I had it. I know there were differences between the DJS and the SP16 not just cosmetic wise but in the system OS as well. But the DJS-1000 really rocked. Never had a frustrating time with it, kept me smiling. Its the most underrated and 10 years ahead of its time kinda sampler I know. At least to my knowledge.