Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By chino Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:00 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Pioneer needs to combine the DJS-1000 and TORAIZ SP-16 together and add more midi in and outs. Also does the DJS-1000 and TORAIZ SP-16 sync with each other as a flawless 1, 2, punch?

I don't have a Toraiz to sync it to but by all accounts (& the manual) syncing can be done via the MIDI ports or LAN connection.

I have my DJS-1000 hooked up via MIDI to my Roland DJ-808. It syncs up the tempo perfectly. I will be checking the LAN ports this week to see if my Denon 3900s can sync up to it too.
By Ill-Green Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:31 am
You can sync up 2 DJS' from what I saw, Toraiz being an older twin of the DJS, so its a big possible yes.

12inchskinz got back to me and said in a couple days, he'll have a template for the DJS-1000. Also, Styleflip offered me to do the skin for free if I send them my DJS, that includes the shipping fee going and coming too. I might take up the offer and just send them the shell casing.
By Heavie Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:07 am
Ill-Green wrote: Also, Styleflip offered me to do the skin for free if I send them my DJS, that includes the shipping fee going and coming too. I might take up the offer and just send them the shell casing.

You will be fool for doing something like that. Styleflip is a business, so let them supply there own unit. If something happens to your DJS or get stolen in shipment. Who's responsible for getting your unit replaced.

I know you're smarter than that offer, Ill-Green. Damn.
By chino Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:05 am
Ill-Green wrote:You can sync up 2 DJS' from what I saw, Toraiz being an older twin of the DJS, so its a big possible yes.

12inchskinz got back to me and said in a couple days, he'll have a template for the DJS-1000. Also, Styleflip offered me to do the skin for free if I send them my DJS, that includes the shipping fee going and coming too. I might take up the offer and just send them the shell casing.

I did something similar with my MV8800 plastic side panels. I loaned them to MPCSTUFF.com so he could use them as a template for a wood set. He gave me a free pair of wood side panels because I loaned my plastic ones to him.

I'm now looking for a screen protector for the DJS-1000. I may try one that is made for tablets.
By Ill-Green Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:55 am
Heavie wrote:
Ill-Green wrote: Also, Styleflip offered me to do the skin for free if I send them my DJS, that includes the shipping fee going and coming too. I might take up the offer and just send them the shell casing.

You will be fool for doing something like that. Styleflip is a business, so let them supply there own unit. If something happens to your DJS or get stolen in shipment. Who's responsible for getting your unit replaced.

I know you're smarter than that offer, Ill-Green. Damn.

Nah, even if I could, I do not trust the postal system here for gear like this. Kinda weird they can't get a 3-D model from Pioneer themselves or 3-D scan it. I would send them just the shell if I had a 2nd one. I got too much work going on to part with my DJS for a couple weeks. No thanks lol! :smoker:

chino wrote:
I did something similar with my MV8800 plastic side panels. I loaned them to MPCSTUFF.com so he could use them as a template for a wood set. He gave me a free pair of wood side panels because I loaned my plastic ones to him.

I'm now looking for a screen protector for the DJS-1000. I may try one that is made for tablets.

I just saw some custom screen protectors for the DJS-1000 on ebay. They are the mirror types. They have clear too. From Germany though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/atFoliX-Displa ... m570.l1313
By chino Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:55 pm
*Quick Tip*

When Sample Browsing: Press & HOLD the PREVIEW button on the touch screen. You will see a POP UP screen to adjust PREVIEW MONITOR & Volume. Switch the Preview Monitor to 'HEADPHONES' & adjust the volume to 127. This will allow you to preview sample sounds in the headphones without the sounds playing out of the MASTER output. This is very useful during a live performance! :nod:
By chino Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:22 pm
I posted some features that I would like to have added to the DJS-1000. Pioneer DJ's forum is pretty much a ghost town! One of those features being the ability to Normalize a sample & an ARRANGER or SONG MODE would be a welcome addition too. I currently track out into my Studio One DAW.

My only real complaint with the DJS-1000 is that I didn't buy the unit sooner! Yes, I've moved past drinking the Pioneer DJ lemonade... I'm now drinking the Pioneer DJ Pitorro!! :) :-D :smoker: I find that I have always approached music production with a DJ perspective because that is my background. It may seem obvious to an outsider that I should just buy a device that works similar to the way I DJ. It just wasn't obvious to me! LOL. I have tried MANY different production tools but it is only now that I have finally found a workflow that is truly intuitive & fun!!

My MV8800 is sitting in the cut looking back at me like 'WTF'. The MV is saying, "I introduced you to the production game & now your are gonna slide off with the faster, younger DJS-1000- just because it's easy???!!!" :lol: If this keeps up, I may even consider selling the MV8800...

'QuickTip'

(This tip I randomly discovered on my own but it is also listed in the manual (pg.12)

While in MUTE mode: Pressing a pad while pressing the SHIFT button will SOLO the sound on that partular pad(SOLO MODE). Press SHIFT & the pad again to cancel.
By Cockdiesel Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 pm
For those wondering the Toriaz and I imagine djs sync up tight when slaved the time stretch even works when changing it drastically.

The Toriaz is an amazing sounding machine.
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:07 am
I feel you Chino! I grew up around Hip Hop DJs, my older brother was one. All the early beats began with the DJ. In fact, the DJ was the producer. I used to sneak into my brother's crib and teach myself to beatmatch on his equipment. Anyway, once you skilled with the turntables, you automatically skilled in making beats :lol:

Having said that, thats why I love the DJS, it brings what I grew up on in a box. Its Hip Hop and Pioneer doesn't even know it. :vomit:
By Gnome Tone Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:15 am
What’s up folks.

How is everyone getting on with the DJS-1000?
I was curious what most people’s opinion are on the included content. Are there any decent R&B and electronic drum sets? Or is it mostly techno stuff? Lol.

I’m just about to buy one and was wondering if you can get a laidback swing using the sequencer or if it’s mostly mechanical. My goal is to record and loop real instruments- (guitars, bass, vocal effects, percussion). The machine seems to have a great workflow and I’m also doing some ambient type of music so I’m looking forward to how slowing tracks down very slow sounds with pitch.

I was looking at the MPCX but the workflow looks nicer on this box. I’ve got a lot of interesting samples of odd lengths I’d like to time stretch to make parts and songs out of so I hope this machine can do this.

Cheers.
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:58 am
Gnome Tone wrote:What’s up folks.

How is everyone getting on with the DJS-1000?
I was curious what most people’s opinion are on the included content. Are there any decent R&B and electronic drum sets? Or is it mostly techno stuff? Lol.

I’m just about to buy one and was wondering if you can get a laidback swing using the sequencer or if it’s mostly mechanical. My goal is to record and loop real instruments- (guitars, bass, vocal effects, percussion). The machine seems to have a great workflow and I’m also doing some ambient type of music so I’m looking forward to how slowing tracks down very slow sounds with pitch.

I was looking at the MPCX but the workflow looks nicer on this box. I’ve got a lot of interesting samples of odd lengths I’d like to time stretch to make parts and songs out of so I hope this machine can do this.

Cheers.

Hey Gnome, the internal sounds are pretty sweet. Its got a little of everything. Mostly on the mellow sunnyside.

The sequencer is very liquidity and flowy. Quantize can be turned off for realistic drumming. Can be live recording or the 16 step sequencer which has parameter locks as well as swing. You can also nudge notes left or right, so you can get really loose with the drums. Couple of vids I saw on youtube, has a guy turning a mechanical drum pattern, into something more supernatural. It all shows on the screen like 16 lines horizontal and a bunch of colored squares scattered about. Though it is a 16 step sequencer, its really 64 steps to modulate across 4 scenes.

The DJS-1000 can loop. I don't wanna deprive you of the MPC X, which has a looper mode and beefier sequencer, just to throw that out. The DJS can run with the best of them though. You can make a song on the fly with its Live Sampling feature. But there is no song mode or any type of pattern chaining, you have to do that manually.

And YES, I wouldn't had bought one if it couldn't slow or speed up tracks. If the pitch is set to Wide, the range is -+100%. It timestretches like their CDJs, same science in sampler form. Sample time is limited to 64 seconds for each pad, so if you have an ambient sound playing less than that, then you good. More than 64 seconds it will cut off or not sound at all.

Its a very nice machine and well streamlined. It will feel foreign the first 20 minutes but it gets real easy, super user friendly.

Good luck on your choice between the X and the DJS. May the best machine find a home. :smoker:
By Gnome Tone Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:51 pm
Alright Mr. Green, thanks so much for the info. I watched your video, very cool my friend, looks like a lot of fun. The 1000 looks powerful enough for me, it’s all about workflow and ease of use to me at this point, I always said that if someone would make a multitracking SP404 (Which i own, original old school mojo model) with real time sampling and 16 track I’d get it... and this looks the part!

I’d have my mixer as a front end feeding the 1000 synths and bass parts, guitars, etc. So as long as I could build loops easy ( in real time, manual mode I guess?) and have a bit of basic editing features I should be gold. I’d capture my ideas in Cubase If i needed to have a song structure, so no big deal about no song mode. I really wish there were more videos of people doing experimental music with the DJS1000, to me it looks like a badass production tool for mangling and looping sounds, even if in a basic level. Hell, there’s hardly any hip hop videos utilizing the machine, mostly dance music! WTH? Sleeper machine?

I might get the X in the future, but for now having been using my SP404 for years the DJS-1000 would seem futuristic! Ha! Just being able to capture live loops like in Abelton with even16 tracks AND a mixer page will be huge for me!
By Gnome Tone Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:05 pm
One more question if you don’t mind. Can the DJS-1000 warp any sample and stretch it to a bar? I haven’t seen that yet. I’ve got random samples I’d like to put together but they are all different links and just random.

Thanks so much
By Ill-Green Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 pm
Thanks Gnome Tone :worthy:

Thats one of the things that brought me to the DJS-1000, that Roland SP kinda flow. But this is like an SP404 on gamma-ray steroids with a touch-screen. :-D

This thing is built to partner with mixers, you'll have no problems. And if its a Pioneer mixer, you'll have access to other features via LAN connection. But not necessary.

The X is powerful, but sometimes I feel its bloated for what I need it for. The DJS is just perfect and straight to the point. You'll be awed out your mind when you explore it. It does so much its not even documented.

And YES again, you can tell the DJS how many bars you want a sample stretched, its pretty magical in that department. Things fall in perfectly. I never felt that with the MV8800.

I will do another video, just thinking of doing something different this time. Kinda readjusting my ergonomics in the studio for a perfect sit and play. Minor stuff really, but helps a long way. October will be the DJS-1000's 1 year anniversary, that when my little album will be out made entirely on the unit.

I don't need song mode either, I grew up on the BOSS/Roland SPs, everything is always recorded live into DAWs. :mrgreen: