Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:39 pm
Yeah, the Pioneers are all about making raw beats. You begin the moment you sample to craft some crazy shit. With the MPC, its more about crafting a complete track.

Just keep what suits you best. The DJS fits my frantic production style. There's a machine for everybody :mrgreen:
By Heavie Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:25 am
Ill-Green wrote:
Heavie wrote:I was interested in the DJS-1000 from the first time I laid eyes on it. I wanted to use it for deejaying and to come up with new ideas to create and quickly load the ideas into my mpcx or maschine. I pick one up last night at guitar center and I’m looking forward to learning the unit and see how well it will help with ideas.

Thats how I planned to use the DJS with my Live. To invent ideas and stuff. After a week it became the alpha-wolf of my set with the Live staring in awe in the corner. :oops:

Yes, the youtube video was a big help, but after reading your posts signing with a seal of approval. I decided to get one. If a real mpc head like Ill-Green, praise it. It must have creative values.
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 pm
Heavie wrote:
Yes, the youtube video was a big help, but after reading your posts signing with a seal of approval. I decided to get one. If a real mpc head like Ill-Green, praise it. It must have creative values.

Respects.

You're gonna love it after a couple days of use. Like all new machines there's learning to do, but afterward, its a magical experience :mrgreen:
By Rokgod Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:21 am
So can this thing do most of what the mpc can do but more? Whats it lacking compared to the mpc that is a must? You can build patterns, into sequences and final songs? Effects are good? Sequencer is friendly? Hows the workflow and like can I control external midi gear an sequence it like I can with an mpc? Hows the slicing, chopping etc? time stretch sounds quality? real time changing of effects and sound parameters, can it record automation? Can you layer sounds? Can you add swing? how does it feel? Does it have a companion software? Can you set choke groups, polyphony, and edit multiple pads at once?
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm
InspectahEX wrote:So can this thing do most of what the mpc can do but more? Whats it lacking compared to the mpc that is a must? You can build patterns, into sequences and final songs? Effects are good? Sequencer is friendly? Hows the workflow and like can I control external midi gear an sequence it like I can with an mpc? Hows the slicing, chopping etc? time stretch sounds quality? real time changing of effects and sound parameters, can it record automation? Can you layer sounds? Can you add swing? how does it feel? Does it have a companion software? Can you set choke groups, polyphony, and edit multiple pads at once?

It can do what an MPC can do, but its more thought out and as Cockdiesel would say, its more streamlined. More than the MPC? I would say the workflow will do circles around any MPC.

Whats lacking is a song mode. I really don't need it but I see other MPC aficionados want it. You mostly chain patterns and sequences manually for it is a performance sampler first. I use it in the studio, no rules :D

Yes, but final songs are up to the DAWs for there is no song mode.

Effects are awesome, I took a weak drum break from a folk record, added the 2EQ effect with not much tweaking and now it bangs like Microphone Fiend kind of kicks and bright dingy snares. For me, they compare to the effects of the MV8800.

Sequencer is very friendly, almost Roland SP-like but way advanced. But its limited to 64 steps per pattern.

Workflow is extraordinary. Nothing like it to compare it to. You can do all your editing, timestretching and nudging in realtime as the beat runs. Absolutely no interruptions. Its MIDI capabilities is pretty much like an MPC.

Slicing and chopping are versatile. You can chop as it samples or hit the Hot Slice or Slice button. You can move the points of the slices if you want for accurate chops.

Timestretch sounds CDJ quality. I like you can switch between pitch tune and timestretch in realtime. You can AB between them.

Realtime everything. I'd have to check on the automation though. I'm still new to it.

You can layer the sounds but not like an MPC where you can layer 4 samples to a pad.

Yes there is swing. Different name though. Another feature I haven't reached yet.

Companion software is the same software for the Toraiz SP-16. And its free from Pioneer.

Choke groups can be found in the Track Setting page. Its only 16 polyphony max. You can edit the fx for multiple pads but I have to check.

No it does not detect the BPM of samples but it does something else, it creates a perfect loop somehow and to the BPM of a pattern. I keep quantize off too. Its just something special. I feel it reads my mind if thats anything to go by.

Just have to try it to see whats up :mrgreen:
By Cockdiesel Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm
The lfos and Plocks aren’t to be over looked either. It’s a deep machine, similar to Mpc but then also worlds apart. Together they are definitey a great combo.
By Heavie Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:45 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
It can do what an MPC can do, but its more thought out and as Cockdiesel would say, its more streamlined. More than the MPC? I would say the workflow will do circles around any MPC.

Whats lacking is a song mode. I really don't need it but I see other MPC aficionados want it. You mostly chain patterns and sequences manually for it is a performance sampler first. I use it in the studio, no rules :D

Yes, but final songs are up to the DAWs for there is no song mode.

Effects are awesome, I took a weak drum break from a folk record, added the 2EQ effect with not much tweaking and now it bangs like Microphone Fiend kind of kicks and bright dingy snares. For me, they compare to the effects of the MV8800.

Sequencer is very friendly, almost Roland SP-like but way advanced. But its limited to 64 steps per pattern.

Workflow is extraordinary. Nothing like it to compare it to. You can do all your editing, timestretching and nudging in realtime as the beat runs. Absolutely no interruptions. Its MIDI capabilities is pretty much like an MPC.

Slicing and chopping are versatile. You can chop as it samples or hit the Hot Slice or Slice button. You can move the points of the slices if you want for accurate chops.

Timestretch sounds CDJ quality. I like you can switch between pitch tune and timestretch in realtime. You can AB between them.

Realtime everything. I'd have to check on the automation though. I'm still new to it.

You can layer the sounds but not like an MPC where you can layer 4 samples to a pad.

Yes there is swing. Different name though. Another feature I haven't reached yet.

Companion software is the same software for the Toraiz SP-16. And its free from Pioneer.

Choke groups can be found in the Track Setting page. Its only 16 polyphony max. You can edit the fx for multiple pads but I have to check.

No it does not detect the BPM of samples but it does something else, it creates a perfect loop somehow and to the BPM of a pattern. I keep quantize off too. Its just something special. I feel it reads my mind if thats anything to go by.

Just have to try it to see whats up :mrgreen:

Wow, if I diidn't already have one. I have to get one after that post. I had to stop and glance over to make sure I owned one. Because, I was on my way to guitar center to purchase one. :lol:
By Cockdiesel Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:51 pm
There are draw backs like any machine.

The midi is a bit clunky for my taste, BUT that thing syncs up really tight. Really love how it syncs up even with drastic changes in tempo. Time stretch, effects, etc all stay tight.

Menu diving when you have to do it isn’t as streamlined, but plenty workable. Just takes time to get used to it. Lots and lots of options, I haven’t even began to explore. I was just thinking that if it’s possible to use multiple audio thru tracks that you can get crazy with resamplibg and parallel processing.

Do some research about what unit you want though. I love the Toraiz but it’s differnt from the djs. The 8 outputs and filter are huge for me. I just wish the sampling was the same between the two. That hot chop or live sample looks soooooo dope for these machines.
By Ill-Green Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:22 pm
Heavie wrote:
Wow, if I diidn't already have one. I have to get one after that post. I had to stop and glance over to make sure I owned one. Because, I was on my way to guitar center to purchase one. :lol:

:lol: I kinda feel guilty recommending it on an MPC forum. But creative minds needs to know :nod:
By Rokgod Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:24 am
That shit is sick, when I have time, money, and room to fit it in my setup its going to get crazy, another weapon in the arsenal, and a deadly one, can't wait, I'm guessing l'll have it by the end of the year unless the music gear world pulls out some new ammo