Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Ill-Green Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 pm
I find it strange Pioneer is not hyping up the DJS aside from their October announcement. For a brand new premium product, they sure are silent. Usually you would see vids of various DJs and producers using and commenting on it but all I see is DJs syncing their CDJs to it on youtube.

Their marketing is ass for this machine.

The DJS is 2017's and now 2018's best kept secret. While other machines appeared on the scene as unfinished and buggy, DJS is ready and tight out the box. Hardly any monthly updates (though I hear there is one down the pipeline) and not needed when you have a box that actually does what the proxy statement states. Right Akai and Elektron...

EDIT-More things I discovered:

-Browsing sounds while the beat plays :)

-Pseudo-scratching using the EQ and filters :smoker:
By d2ba Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:36 pm
I reckon you need one more sampler to partner with the DJS-1000 . The Octatrack (mk1 or 2)
Its the perfect machine and sister of DJS-1000 both have different strengths.
Rather than me try explain it i will let these great artists below show you what OT is all about.
VHS Head and his use of OT , Jon Wayne live sampling with OT (Never appeared on youtube), Daniel Troberg demo of OT Mk2 in a shop in Mexico (Never appeared on youtube) The Troberg demo is the greatest demo of the OT I have even seen.
These MP4s capture the essence of what OT is all about, recorded from Facebook live events:)
https://mega.nz/#!MooVjATS!8V3otsCbL4oM ... e2qHglUiMU
By Cockdiesel Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:04 pm
Yea it sucks you cant just demo stuff without putting some money up. I was actually on the fence about selling it but I think I’ll keep it at least in the short term. Love being able to route samples anywhere and the sound of the thing. From lush to straight grimey.

I actually disagree with the octatrack being a good companion for the pioneers. Seems like it would be more redundant than the Mpc live is with it. Similar limitations, lower quality sound, etc. might be a lot of fun but not the best match in my opinion.

The pioneers can handle chopping breaks, making loops etc. what they Aren't good for is key groups and more intensive sampling. Although the transposing is actually pretty good in it’s 16 levels mode. It’s also mono, so kind of limited in that regard.

A better companion than an octatrack would be an iPad/ computer, keyboard/ rackmount sampler. If you even needed that type of sampling...

I would suggest something for it to actually sample before I would say it needs more comprehensive sampling.

They can hold their own, although they can complement very nicely any other gear from a guitar to another sampler...

Dope boxes!
By Cockdiesel Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:08 pm
Unfortunately not lol.
If you’re serious about wanting want one, if your able to find a place with a bigger return window and see if it will fit your work flow. If you still want it after seeing in action, I would be willing to part with mine for prolly half what the new ones cost. It’s got a scratch on the bottom and a ding in a side panel but I can give pics and that down the road.

It’s just a thought by the way. Not sure what you would think. I’d feel better with it going to a good home vs being used for some tech house set and sitting in some kids closet.
By d2ba Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 am
[quote="Cockdiesel"]
I actually disagree with the octatrack being a good companion for the pioneers. Seems like it would be more redundant than the Mpc live is with it. Similar limitations, lower quality sound, etc. might be a lot of fun but not the best match in my opinion.
/quote]
Octatrack 2 has better sampling than MK1 --balanced inputs -----it sounds as good as my MPC-X.i prefer the OT2 over MPC-X --its really great in the midrange ---has a sort of shimmering stereo image
Had to get the DJS-1000 which i think will give me that huge bottom end that the OT2 cannot do.
By Ill-Green Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:03 am
d2ba wrote:I reckon you need one more sampler to partner with the DJS-1000 . The Octatrack (mk1 or 2)
Its the perfect machine and sister of DJS-1000 both have different strengths.
Rather than me try explain it i will let these great artists below show you what OT is all about.
VHS Head and his use of OT , Jon Wayne live sampling with OT (Never appeared on youtube), Daniel Troberg demo of OT Mk2 in a shop in Mexico (Never appeared on youtube) The Troberg demo is the greatest demo of the OT I have even seen.
These MP4s capture the essence of what OT is all about, recorded from Facebook live events:)
https://mega.nz/#!MooVjATS!8V3otsCbL4oM ... e2qHglUiMU

I would like to see this but its too huge for this android's browser (Galaxy J7). Is there an Insta or Vimeo? Thanks in advance.
By d2ba Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:16 am
Ill-Green wrote:
d2ba wrote:I would like to see this but its too huge for this android's browser (Galaxy J7). Is there an Insta or Vimeo? Thanks in advance.

No all long gone from Facebook live you will need a computer to download mega link
By Blue Monster 65 Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:40 pm
So - potentially dumb question here - but does the Toraiz have a “song” mode now? If I get one, I’d want to be able to use it for stand-alone backing tracks for guitar and vocals. Could I do that easily?

The Live is fully capable, but often I feel like I’m spending more time getting it prepped to play with than I am actually playing ... and my stuff is pretty much just drum machine, a bass line, and a few squiggly lines ‘n’ noises.
By Lampdog Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:09 pm
Ill-Green wrote:
Sequencer is very friendly, almost Roland SP-like but way advanced. But its limited to 64 steps per pattern.

No 96ppqn then. Limited to 64.
By Blue Monster 65 Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:21 pm
Another reason for me to be asking these questions is that lately I've been asking myself, "What are you doing with a sampler? You don't really sample, unless it's either a bit of dialogue or a drum sound. Wouldn't you be better off going back to a hardware drum machine?" I do like the fact that I have a kit in my Live made up of pitched PVC pipes, but the rest tend to be pretty standard drum machine and acoustic percussion hits. And I really like to cross XOX-style sequencing with being able to hit pads at the same time.
By Cockdiesel Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:41 pm
Blue Monster 65 wrote:So - potentially dumb question here - but does the Toraiz have a “song” mode now? If I get one, I’d want to be able to use it for stand-alone backing tracks for guitar and vocals. Could I do that easily?

The Live is fully capable, but often I feel like I’m spending more time getting it prepped to play with than I am actually playing ... and my stuff is pretty much just drum machine, a bass line, and a few squiggly lines ‘n’ noises.

You might be better off with the live as I find it’s sequencer and song song mode a lot easier. I use the toraiz basically to process samples ( mainly melodies ) with external effects. I sequence everything from my live and track stuff back in.

That’s why I’ve been on the fence about selling it. Im not using it to its full potential. I love it’s sound, and feature set but for my workflow it’s essentially a luxury.

The live can step sequence as you know but it’s not like the pioneers. Which has both styles integrated and dedicated buttons. Although it’s limited to 4 bar max patterns... which isn’t too bad, but not as robust as any mpc.

As for the octa track, after using the digitakt. It seems the octatrack is just a beefed up digitakt. I wasn’t feeling the elektron vibe with sound and workflow. It’s my opinion that those machine don’t match up well with other instruments, I have and have tested ALOT.

Seems to me that elektron samplers are made to be used within the “Elektron ecosystem”. There are many who would disagree and a lot of elektron fanboys who would get fired up over that statement.

I really didn’t dig the sound, you can say that it’s the same as your x but you describe it as being colored. The elektron “color” isn’t a feature in my book, it’s a flaw. If you do most of your work on the elektron, you should be fine but at the time I was trying to get a mix from a lot of sources and the digitakt would never sit right it’s everything else. It gathered dust for a month or two and I sold it.

I’m just going from my experience.
Last edited by Cockdiesel on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.