Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By m-prez Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:15 pm
Hello,

I've been struggling with saving entire programs with samples to storage (akai flash memory).

It's perfectly possible to save individual samples and programs to flash but when i select the options 'ENTIRE VOLUME', 'CURSOR PROG+SAMPS' or 'ALL PROGS+SAMPLES' on the saving page, I always get the error message: "cannot delete loaded flash sample". I don't understand, I'm not deleting but saving...

Does anyone know how to get around this? Didn't find any info on this in the manual nor by googling the error message... Thanks!!

By m-prez Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:41 pm
richie wrote:Do you happen to have the flash card expansion in your 3000XL?

Yes, I have the expansion fitted. I further checked appendix 4 of the manual and I suspect the flashrom doesn't operate that flexible as normal floppy/zip storage as it's more of a ROM style memory.

Even for destructive editing you have to individually load the sample from the ROM to the RAM storage to be able to edit it.

I basically want to set up some autoload volumes with drumkits, basses & keys to get started right away. It will take me some more work. Thanks anyway!
By richie Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 am
Yes, you cannot edit directly from the flash as that would wear down the write cycles of that Intel flash.

I assume you already know this but I'll state this in case anyone else is reading -- that FMX008 purpose is for saving kits directly to flash so that when loaded, do no take up any of the existing sampler ram.

With that being said, A good suggestion would be is to sell that card, get $300 for it and spend $80 to get a SD2SCSI which will operate off flash based memory (micro sd) in addition to giving you 5 times the available sample storage in the process. It'll be far more beneficial to you than the flash card in my opinion. Especially since one of the primary incentives beyond having the ability to load a kit from flash is to save the OS, your S3000XL/CD3000XL runs its OS directly off EPROM anyway.