Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:34 am
I currently have this for my ASR-X-Pro https://www.chickensys.com/products2/ha ... si2sd.html

Lately I've been thinking about buying two of these for my ASR-X-Pro and ASR-X https://reverb.com/item/32771613-usb-hx ... ed-display

Yes, I really have both the red and black desktop units, and the ASR-10 and Mirage too.

I'm kinda nutty like that...
By richie Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:51 am
No offense but I'm not sure why you'd post about floppy emulators in a SCSI2SD thread.

Also, purchasing a floppy emulator will cost you virtually the same price as purchasing a SCSI2SD.

The only way I could rationalize it making sense is if any of your ASR-X or your ASR-10 some how lacks the actual SCSI interface on the back.

For the mirage, yeah a floppy emulator that makes sense.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:34 am
richie wrote:No offense but I'm not sure why you'd post about floppy emulators in a SCSI2SD thread.

Also, purchasing a floppy emulator will cost you virtually the same price as purchasing a SCSI2SD.

The only way I could rationalize it making sense is if any of your ASR-X or your ASR-10 some how lacks the actual SCSI interface on the back.

For the mirage, yeah a floppy emulator that makes sense.

Because to me, it's all the same bullsh!t. A modern way to store digital files, which are faster and more secure than the old school floppy disks I grew up with since the '80s, and as I stated in my comment I'm currently using an external SCSI2SD drive. I want to get the floppy emulator for the sake of ergonomics. I have the HxC for my Akai S900 and it works great! It's fast and reliable and most important, makes life a lot easier than a floppy disk...
By richie Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:11 am
Regardless of your opinion, a SCSI device is not the same as a Floppy device which is why they have different defined labels.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both utilized for storing data. And no, a floppy emulator is not "faster" than an actual floppy disk - it's the same as it needs to abide by the same floppy protocol to ensure compatibility.

I have no idea why you believe a 3.5" SCSI2SD is some how ergonomically any different from a 3.5" Floppy Emulator either.
By richie Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:13 am
For anyone else reading this, if you have SCSI capabilities on your Ensoniq sampler, don't waste your time with a Floppy emulator when there are better solutions for almost the same price of one of the premade kits sold on ebay, etc.

If you want to make your own cheap floppy emulator setup, it is around $25 USD if you know what you're doing. Check this link for all the information you will need: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki

Stock Gotek Floppy Drive $15
CP2102 USB TTL adapter $2 - This is utilized to re=flash the Gotek drive in to the Flash Floppy firmware. Which is a free alternative to HxC. (However it is not necessary to re-flash the firmware on a stock Gotek drive if you want to use the drive stock on Ensoniq samplers, it is only required if you intend to utilize all the nice file structure and parts listed below)
LCD screen $2-3
Compatible Knob $2-3
Dupont cables $2-4 depending on the amount you want for future projects, etc.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:01 pm
richie wrote:Regardless of your opinion, a SCSI device is not the same as a Floppy device which is why they have different defined labels.

The only thing they have in common is that they are both utilized for storing data. And no, a floppy emulator is not "faster" than an actual floppy disk - it's the same as it needs to abide by the same floppy protocol to ensure compatibility.

I have no idea why you believe a 3.5" SCSI2SD is some how ergonomically any different from a 3.5" Floppy Emulator either.

You just proved twice that you did not carefully read what I said.

In my first comment I mentioned that I’m using an External SCSI2SD drive, which I also posted a link to.

In my 2nd comment which addresses your reply I broke down my opinion and stated that I’m seeking to use the HxC floppy emulators for both my ASR-X-Pro and ASR-X because it’s ergonomically better than having the bulky external SCSI2SD drive I’m currently using.

As far as your opinion about floppy emulator speed goes I believe that to be true. When I save my programs and samples on my Akai S900 it’s quick and fast. The same goes for loading files.

The time experience between the external SCSI2SD drive attached to my ASR-X-Pro really is no different to me than the internal HxC floppy emulator inside my Akai S900.

I don’t mind spending whatever it costs to buy an already flashed and prepared HxC floppy emulator, maybe some of you overzealous DIY guys prefer to go through that bullsh!t, but I rather not.

I just want to get it done and over with and help my clients make their music and make my music as per usual.

I offered a quick and easy alternative, if you really feel so passionate about SCSI2SD, why don’t you help the guy by offering to do it for him at no charge since you’re so skilled and knowledgeable at SCSI2SD?

Have him send you his SCSI2SD kit and set it up for him for free....
By richie Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:41 pm
I totally understand where you are coming from; a place of basic understanding for the technically simple side of things. No honor lost in that as it is an opportunity to learn from.

I've read your posts, I've responded in a detailed and respectful manner. It went over your head, again totally cool - it's nothing new on the internet for me to experience.

I also tried to provide information as an alternative way to get a floppy emulator with links that walk you through the process. If it is some how interpreted to be overzealous to sit down for 15 minutes, use a screw driver, connect a few solder-less connectors and a USB connector to do this yourself, then to each their own.

Some people find using a microwave to be inconvenient as it requires them to exert a joule of mental energy to press a couple of buttons. It's the intentional ignorance that gets so many people taken advantage of every day.

Take care of yourself.
By Fre$hBreath Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:09 pm
richie wrote:I totally understand where you are coming from; a place of basic understanding for the technically simple side of things. No honor lost in that as it is an opportunity to learn from.

I've read your posts, I've responded in a detailed and respectful manner. It went over your head, again totally cool - it's nothing new on the internet for me to experience.

I also tried to provide information as an alternative way to get a floppy emulator with links that walk you through the process. If it is some how interpreted to be overzealous to sit down for 15 minutes, use a screw driver, connect a few solder-less connectors and a USB connector to do this yourself, then to each their own.

Some people find using a microwave to be inconvenient as it requires them to exert a joule of mental energy to press a couple of buttons. It's the intentional ignorance that gets so many people taken advantage of every day.

Take care of yourself.

So in other words, your easily fragile ego is wounded and you need to feel vindicated because you simply can’t comprehend that what you may think is ultra easy for your “genius” brain may not be for others.

If you were really respectful and really wanted to help the guy out then you’d offer to do it for them as I kindly suggested to you for free, but no, you allowed your ego to take over and wrote another screed.

Perhaps you should re-read and rethink this entire exchange, you might hopefully find some trace of objectivity within yourself and let go of your ego rather than letting it get the best of you as everyone can clearly see...
By richie Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 am
You act like following a guide with pictures and requiring a virtually basic set of motor-skills to perform a simple task is out of the question here.

No ego is involved by simply sharing information that someone could learn from and perhaps help them gain some independence from in the process. If some how what I am here sharing goes over your head, don't be so offended by it. Use it as a chance to learn from and build upon.

My suggestion for you is to prioritize your energy elsewhere.
By Fre$hBreath Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:41 pm
richie wrote:You act like following a guide with pictures and requiring a virtually basic set of motor-skills to perform a simple task is out of the question here.

No ego is involved by simply sharing information that someone could learn from and perhaps help them gain some independence from in the process. If some how what I am here sharing goes over your head, don't be so offended by it. Use it as a chance to learn from and build upon.

My suggestion for you is to prioritize your energy elsewhere.

Once again, if you really cared to help that guy, you’d offer to do it for him for free, but all you’re concerned about is being right which in itself is just wrong.

Because you’re so selfish and wrapped up in your ego, I’m offering to help the guy out by ordering the floppy Emulator I just purchased yesterday for my ASR-X-Pro and ASR- X and having it shipped to him.
By JUKE 179r Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:21 am
JUKE 179r wrote:Cheers Ogami! I saved your post as a PDF file! :-D

Here is Ogami's post with pics as a PDF... Akai MPC Forums - SCSI2SD Guide for Ensoniq Samplers.pdf
By JTRACKER Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm
I just created an update for the Classic EPS, which if anyone believes it's necessary - I will post it, but is mostly covered with the below comments.

The reason for the update suggestion is that the EPS Classic (that I own), does not work with 2G Device sizes as in the "Guide". The guide by the way is awesome.

I started with the recommendations as per the guide, but ultimately dropped the 8Gig SD card for a 1Gig SD card, with 4 devices set to 128Meg each.

I also had to change the devices from 1-5 (skipping 0 and 3), as it is known that Device 3 is reserved but it also seems that Device 0 may have been reserved on the Classic, as it is not Bootable.

Ultimately: 128Meg Max (tested) with Device Address 1 - formatted and bootable.

I look forward to any comments.