Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:21 pm
I’m already dumb.

ASR sample in is also an active 2chnl mixer w/ efx.

You can run mpc main L/R to asr L/R sample inputs and use asr fx real time.
All output is spit to asr main outs.

I never had or experimented with the asr output expander.
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’m already dumb.

ASR sample in is also an active 2chnl mixer w/ efx.

You can run mpc main L/R to asr L/R sample inputs and use asr fx real time.
All output is spit to asr main outs.

I never had or experimented with the asr output expander.

Ha join the club. What youre saying then it sounds like what im after can easily be done. I dont expect a revolutionary change in the sound of the samples by using the effect from the asr10 but i think from the videos ive watched it will make a difference. I'm already stuck in the 90's might as well get that beast.
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:33 pm
THANKS for the advice as well! It's much appreciated!! :worthy:
By Lampdog Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:21 pm
The warm asr sound is not a myth. I only got the “color” when I sampled (from mini disc) in and used asr by itself, no other gear involved. Played seemed phat like Moog basses when compared to lesser synths. You could hear the difference immediately. This was compared to my 2kxl when used standalone and korg triton extreme when used standalone.

I’ve made complete songs on all 3, asr sounded warmer than the other 2.
All sampled from same source, all used independently when I compared.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:35 pm
Biggest problem I had when I first got asr and didn’t know anything about sampling was WAVESAMPLES, itks a sample, Left is 1, Right is 2. WS1 and WS2. a stereo sample.

Sounds easy right? Well when you start sampling mono, then stereo, then mono again those numbers get confusing. They don’t always sit next to the next number. You can change, copy and replace numbers, yes. Still it took me a while to learn how to get those samples to play nice with each other, I was doing it wrong for weeks and weeks.

Inside each INST button (track) there are 8 layers. WS (samples) can be placed on ANY of those layers. Makes it more confusing until you get a hang of it. Left can be LYR1 while Right can be LYR8 of the same stereo sample. Again you can manually place them on any key, any layer you like.

I can GUARANTEE you will lose a sample, only to find out it’s still there somewhere.
I can GUARANTEE you will match up 2 different length samples and wonder what is going on.

That was the biggest thing I dealt with my first few weeks.

Fortunately you have been at this for a while and you will be MUCH more comfortable than a beginner Lampdog was. :WTF:

By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm
Lampdog wrote: Biggest problem I had when I first got asr and didn’t know anything about sampling was WAVESAMPLES, itks a sample, Left is 1, Right is 2. WS1 and WS2. a stereo sample.

Sounds easy right? Well when you start sampling mono, then stereo, then mono again those numbers get confusing. They don’t always sit next to the next number. You can change, copy and replace numbers, yes. Still it took me a while to learn how to get those samples to play nice with each other, I was doing it wrong for weeks and weeks.

Inside each INST button (track) there are 8 layers. WS (samples) can be placed on ANY of those layers. Makes it more confusing until you get a hang of it. Left can be LYR1 while Right can be LYR8 of the same stereo sample. Again you can manually place them on any key, any layer you like.

I can GUARANTEE you will lose a sample, only to find out it’s still there somewhere.
I can GUARANTEE you will match up 2 different length samples and wonder what is going on.

That was the biggest thing I dealt with my first few weeks.

Fortunately you have been at this for a while and you will be MUCH more comfortable than a beginner Lampdog was. :WTF:

LOL yea im gonna scratch my head more than once and yell at it and give it a couple new names :lol: but it will also be fun and rewarding when i get the hang of it. Already thinking of shit i can try once i get to know the machine of course.

I also pulled the trigger i bought it Thanks to you and cock diesel. its all your guys fault!!!! i bought it for $649 and added a 1 year protection plan. Just to minimize number of gray hairs ill grow and uclers ill getuntil it gets here and knowing its working fine. Scared but more excited than anything.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Bi-directional looping, bowtie looping and transwaves don’t get enough publicity!

@op, Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack but got carried away with the convo. Most of this is the same on eps 16+.

If Salt can’t figure out something holla back and I’ll break out asr to help troublshoot and/or help. A record breaking 2nd power on this year I think. :lol:
By saltmcgault Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:12 pm
Lampdog wrote:Bi-directional looping, bowtie looping and transwaves don’t get enough publicity!

@op, Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack but got carried away with the convo. Most of this is the same on eps 16+.

If Salt can’t figure out something holla back and I’ll break out asr to help troublshoot and/or help. A record breaking 2nd power on this year I think. :lol:

I didnt even think about totally taking the post off course. My bad! Thanks Lamp i appreciate that. I'm sure i will have some questions and hoepfully not problems :!: I will definitly hit you up if i do. after i RTFM of course. :lol: you already helped me out quite a bit. once again thanks!
By Cockdiesel Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 pm
Yea, it’s a pretty hefty manual at that. I wonder if there ever was an asr Bible?

Good luck salt, you’re in for treat.
By richie Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 am
Make sure you put a fan in front of the EPS or that shit will end up crashing on you at some point.
By saltmcgault Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:44 pm
richie wrote:Make sure you put a fan in front of the EPS or that **** will end up crashing on you at some point.

I thought it was the keybaord that overheated. The rack does as well?
By Ogami Daigorō Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:32 pm
A lot of people are having overheating issues with Ensoniq samplers (both racks and keyboards). That’s because of the way they were built. The lid acts literally as a heatsink to evacuate the heat building inside (because of the power supply). All you need to do is make sure it has airflow all around the unit, especially underneath it (where it heats the most). If you have a keyboard, don’t put it flat on a table because heat will build inside the unit with no way to evacuate, causing instability and other issues. Use a keyboard stand so airflow is cooling the base of the unit. If you don’t want to use a stand, be creative. Find a way to leave a gap between the table and the keyboard, especially under where the power supply is inside the unit. It’s the same thing for the rack version. Whether you keep it racked or on your desk, make sure there is airflow underneath it, let it breath! You’ll never have overheating issues this way. Any electronic gear, even modern gear develops issues and instability when overheating. When I first got my MOTU 828 Mk3 interface many years ago, I put it flat on my desk. I noticed it was getting really warm underneath it but thought it was normal so I kept it that way. It only took a week before it started acting crazy and had to be returned for a replacement.

I decided that from now on, I was going to treat every piece of gear with consideration of the way they were built. I used some of my vintage (early 80’s) family Cuisenaire rods. The red ones are all exactly 2 centimetres long. I glued them with a little bit of hot glue and used little square pieces of felt pads to make sure everything is smooth and doesn’t leave marks on surfaces. I’m keeping my gear fresh and stable this way. I do this with each device that tends to accumulate heat, including the MOTU 828 on top of the S950.

By terry towelling Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 pm
thanks for the tip on avoiding overheating, origami....i've been restricting my asr sessions to 30 minute, then it overheats.
but there is no way i'm breaking up my beloved set of cuisenaire rods (vintage from early '70s). crappy bit of shitty lego should do the job.
beautiful set-up, by the way.

and salt..congrats on the purchase. when i first got my asr, i was amazed at how good everything sounds...so amazed that i tried to see if it is possible to make a sample that sounded bad...i didn't have any luck. closest i got was sampling a finger nail on a chalk board, adding ring modulation and guitar amp distortion. but even that sounded good.
By richie Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:03 pm
What I've seen some people do is modify their units to have an internal fan. This involves a bit of drilling of holes to have the air evacuate and has yielded positive results. I'm considering a mod of my own with my EPS and using a blower fan such as this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-40MM-Blower ... 3009883048

In my opinion a fan like the one I listed above could fit right beside where the center power supply on the EPS series boards is (isn't the psu on the ASR-10 on the right?) and is narrow enough to blow outward. I'd have to take into consideration how much noise the fan would make and the amperage draw to the existing power supply before proceeding with this. There is a video on YouTube of someone that did a fan mod to their EPS, cutting on the bottom chasis to mount a 80mm fan beneath that blows air in which yielded positive results. The only thing I heard that felt different is you could sort of feel a bit of air coming through the keybed, not so bad as I'd imagine the dust buildup to be minimal depending on where you live.

What I think would be more useful is if someone could come up with new power supply design as that is where all the heat is building up in the first place.