Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Lampdog Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:21 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:I'm just gonna come out and say it, the Isla Instruments S2400 > Rossum SP-1200.

I said that a long time ago, no one paid attention, and that’s fine, I’ll keep enjoying my S2400.
By Fre$hBreath Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:44 am
Lampdog wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:I'm just gonna come out and say it, the Isla Instruments S2400 > Rossum SP-1200.

I said that a long time ago, no one paid attention, and that’s fine, I’ll keep enjoying my S2400.

I get it and I agree with you, some people are purist nutjobs like that Shawn Love clown and some are just mad for the sake of being mad, but Isla did a great job. They gave us that classic sampler vibe but with modern features and it's continuing to get better with every update. I'm really glad my wife changed my mind and I bought one or I would have missed out on all it's dopeness.
By Lampdog Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:25 pm
As close as ISLA kept the “aura” of sp1200, I’d LOVE to see someone do the same thing and come with an “ASR-100” with a touch screen. I’d follow development like a rabid freeway tailgater.

Biggest and first thing, MAKE THE KEYBED FEEL EXACTLY LIKE THE flowers ORIGINAL.
Why, cause every other kybd I’ve touched fails in this regard. ASR keybed is THEE business!
By BeatWilson Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:14 pm
I love my S2400. I actually debate on buying a second one... Sometimes I barely touch my Mpc but other times I use them together.
I still debate on getting the Rossum at time to time knowing they sound more or less the same, but the way the filters are on the S2400, and the resampling.... Its hard to move away from that right now. I got a SP404 on order to pair with the S2400. Should be here at the end of the month. May end up with a Rossum, may just buy another S2400 and some other gear instead...
By jpeg Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:19 pm
BeatWilson wrote:200 more, which is tight. I'm going to grab another one. Like why not...

whats the point of having two? i understand some peeps just collect and keep shit mint for future sale is that ur intent?
By Lampdog Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:59 pm
The only small complaint I've always had was the pads. If they were made like MPC or Maschine pads it'd be MUCH better.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:32 pm
There seems to be some sort of powder coating on the S2400 pads that isn't on the Live / X / One / Keys61 and it's the ONLY thing stopping me from enjoying the machine further. It should have been straight rubber mix, no coating. Not grippy at all, too slick. NOT a good look. I'll wait till someone comes up with replacement pads and I'll look into it when/if that happens.
By jpeg Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:03 pm
ah yes the slippery pads I dont mind either cos I think NI machine also had pads with a bit of a slippery feel

but on compare yes the grip on the live is preferable but its such a minor thing on such a good unit I hardly notice, such a boutique unit

and i wholly agree someone need to do a 37 key asr 20; in the same spirit isla did the 2400
By iofflight Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:50 pm
jpeg wrote:
BeatWilson wrote:200 more, which is tight. I'm going to grab another one. Like why not...

whats the point of having two? i understand some peeps just collect and keep shit mint for future sale is that ur intent?

Initially it was great to have 2 for 16 voices. That has been nullified by having the voice expansion in one of the last major updates. In my case I was also beta testing so I kept one unit in the beta OS and the other in production OS to compare. However since OS releases slowed down and the extra voice count was added I put the second unit away to make more space on my desktop. I could see a use case in a live scenario since there isn't a totally seamless way to transition between songs.

Also there will eventually be a new audio card with analog filters and the DSP is in testing. I thought it might be nice to have one OG and with the enhancements. But I'll have to think on that more.
By Lampdog Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:59 pm
I really wanna know that card. I'd LOVE the S2400 to have it's own fx.
By iofflight Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:37 am
Lampdog wrote:I really wanna know that card. I'd LOVE the S2400 to have it's own fx.

Well the first preproduction prototype is with Brad. As seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cjp4vopr4TU/

And you can hear more about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGTnk6FzOz8&t
around 1:30 minutes in he talks about the DSP effect card being 8 channel with master bus (side chain, comp, eq I believe). Other updates are discussed as well, regarding live looping adjustments and being able to lift SP1200 files from floppy into sounds and sequences on the S2400.

I still think about picking up a Rossem SP1200 reissue, for the simplicity and to own a piece of history without the historical price the vintage one commands, but really the s2400 is the sampler I truly have wanted for almost 2 decades.
By Lampdog Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:03 am
iofflight wrote:I still think about picking up a Rossem SP1200 reissue, for the simplicity and to own a piece of history without the historical price the vintage one commands, but really the s2400 is the sampler I truly have wanted for almost 2 decades.

THIS, this right here is EXACTLY why I bought it. I’ve always wanted the og machine. When S2400 happened I KNEW right then and there, my chance is here.
The pad feel and no dsp has stopped me from fully loving it. Going through Kronos2 for efx right now and it’s STILL lovely though. The sound is exactly as I remember playing with an SP way back when. TRUST, it’s what you want!