Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By mr_debauch Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 am
fobedafied wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:no talk of the price going up 50% ?

2 months later than originally announced.

oh is that right.. i am not following it as closely. i wasn't surprised it would go up, but i thought one of the main goals was to keep it sub a thousand.

i don't know, not really that hyped yet... not sure exactly what this thing does that i care about... especially for over 2 grand canadian.
By inflict3 Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:59 pm
Lampdog wrote:Eww, you touched it!?

You got Bkooties now.

Hahahaha, yeA, I beat the fook outta that thang, I beat it like the blue haired step child it was. They had to take it away and put the damn thing into protective custody cause of me. :lol: :lol: anyone notice how the musical instruments section in best buy went under after that??
By Bombbeats4000 Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:58 pm
It must be me but when i saw Ski working that thing on Youtube and struggling to chop a simple sample i wasn't convinced.
No timestretch either ...
I get the vintage gear hype and all but when it takes you about 5 times longer than on a MPC or Maschine then i wonder what the point is.
That display is really small and will send most people back in time about 20 year or so. If your into that, then by all means go ahead but i think that at the end of the day a MPC ONE will be a much better choice at half the price.
For those that outgrow Boombap the One will offer a lot more and it can be the centerpiece of other devices that can be easily controlled. I don't think the 2400 will be suited to much more than just beatmaking.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:19 pm
Bombbeats4000 wrote:It must be me but when i saw Ski working that thing on Youtube and struggling to chop a simple sample i wasn't convinced.
No timestretch either ...
I get the vintage gear hype and all but when it takes you about 5 times longer than on a MPC or Maschine then i wonder what the point is.
That display is really small and will send most people back in time about 20 year or so. If your into that, then by all means go ahead but i think that at the end of the day a MPC ONE will be a much better choice at half the price.
For those that outgrow Boombap the One will offer a lot more and it can be the centerpiece of other devices that can be easily controlled. I don't think the 2400 will be suited to much more than just beatmaking.

The S2400 can be used to make any kind of music. It all comes down to the user and their abilities to compose. Also I'm not sure how someone would out grow, BOOM BAP. It's like any musical style and deserves the same respect. 30+ years and people are still making and recreating it!
By Bombbeats4000 Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:56 pm
Sure, but you can make that same style of music, or pretty much any other type of music, on devices that are half it's price or even cheaper and have a lot more options even.
I just don't see where all the raving and hype is coming from.
Imo it's just because it's seen as the reincarnated Sp-1200 and that's it. It's not a 1200 and never will be.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:06 pm
Bombbeats4000 wrote:Sure, but you can make that same style of music, or pretty much any other type of musi, on devices that are half it's price or even cheaper and have a lot more options even. I just don't see where all the raving and hype is coming from. Imo it's just because it's seen as the reincarnated Sp-1200 and that's it.

It was pre ordered for $1000 and now it's $1500 which is good price. Some people want it for the connections to SP1200, some want it because they're collectors, some want it just because they want it. As far as what it can fully do, is yet to known its still in beta.

The raving and hype is there because people have been along for the ride all the way. ISLA went directly to the people who wanted this, so the community is standing behind the machine. They're not being marketed too, talked down too, or made to feel disposable.
By richie Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:41 pm
Bombbeats4000 wrote:No timestretch either ...

That's just the thing - The fact that you're looking for "Time stretch" as a feature kind of shows that the SP2400 isn't aimed at a person of your needs. I could write a more technical paragraph explaining why but to be honest, no one will read it so I'll spare you and everyone else.

I will say that time stretch wise, I think the best / most ideal sounding to me is the method imparted on the Akai S-950 (and any other piece of gear that uses this circuit design) where it adjusts its clockrate in real time vs cpu reinterpolation which newer pieces of gear and every DAW basically does. Old gear did this because it didn't have the cpu power to do it in a timely manner. (The SP12/S1200 uses a Z-80 processor, so imagine a Sega Master System trying to recalculate + time stretch your samples, LOL).

Think of adjusting the clockrate on the fly as the same as recording to tape and slowing it down, or even playing a slowed down record. There's no guess-gap filling by cpu instructions, a purer sound and its quite noticeable when comparing something like a drum break. All the transients are still there where as a DAW based time stretch doesn't sound nearly as good.

I do however agree that moving to an earlier MPC or even an SP1200 could feel like you're moving backwards after working with an MPC One where so much of the workflow is automated for you. Even as technically savvy as I am with software over the past 3 decades, watching these 15 year old kids do a beat making video with all the shortcuts they've memorized makes me feel that even my process is dated.

Peace
By chino Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:51 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The S2400 can be used to make any kind of music. It all comes down to the user and their abilities to compose. Also I'm not sure how someone would out grow, BOOM BAP. It's like any musical style and deserves the same respect. 30+ years and people are still making and recreating it!

^ THIS!!! :worthy:
By Bombbeats4000 Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:52 pm
Yeah, i was bound to catch flak for this but Boombap is a thing of the past yo ..
I was born in 1971 and i witnessed the birth of real Hiphop and several decades have past but Rap music these days is different.
It doesn't mean it's all bad and Boy we have seen some sick beats these past 18 years that have nothing or little to do with original Boombap.
Sure, i enjoy Boombap too but i am not blind to just that style of music.
I'd like to think that beatmaking has evolved and these beats with a skilled rapper can still raise the roof just like in the 80's and 90's.
Especially after the 2000's with people like Scott Storch beatmaking changed dramaticly.
By Lampdog Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:48 am
Bombbeats4000 wrote: I don't think the 2400 will be suited to much more than just beatmaking.

That’s what it’s supposed to do, make beats.
Not wash dishes.
By Menco Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:52 am
Bombbeats4000 wrote:I get the vintage gear hype and all but when it takes you about 5 times longer than on a MPC or Maschine then i wonder what the point is.

I could be at work 5 times quicker driving a Tesla instead riding of my ‘vintage’ bicycle (based on early 20th century design and technology), but I just enjoy the ride and having the sun and fresh air right in my face.

Bombbeats4000 wrote:Yeah, i was bound to catch flak for this but Boombap is a thing of the past yo ..
I was born in 1971 and i witnessed the birth of real Hiphop and several decades have past but Rap music these days is different.
It doesn't mean it's all bad and Boy we have seen some sick beats these past 18 years that have nothing or little to do with original Boombap.
Sure, i enjoy Boombap too but i am not blind to just that style of music.
I'd like to think that beatmaking has evolved and these beats with a skilled rapper can still raise the roof just like in the 80's and 90's.
Especially after the 2000's with people like Scott Storch beatmaking changed dramaticly.

Because something is the hype now doesn’t mean I have to make that ‘modern’ style of music. I am not into that style of music. I acknowledge it is a musical development, and I listen to a lot of new releases with a friend of mine, analyzing and discussing it, but I never play it myself to enjoy some music. I don’t enjoy making trap beats. I am not going to refrain myself from making a music style I love making, because that’s the whole point of making music. Give me a stack of records and a simple sampler and I’m having more fun than having something with all the bells and whistles.

And if you want to talk about ‘out of style’ and modern day hypes, boombap hiphop is making a comeback. Maybe not in the popcharts (yet), but there has always been an audience for boombap hiphop, and that audience has been growing for the last couple of years. And that also reflects in the gear people are into right now.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:20 am
100% ^

Boom Bap records were mainly underground. While some song did catch on, Boom Bap style of music never sat on top of Major music charts, like trap does today. In fact people didn't call it boom bap, they called it East Coast hip hop or East Coast Rap and many people at labels called it Back Pack Rap.

They didn't know what to do with it then and they don't know what to do with it now. The same people who talk about it and glorify it now, weren't trying to sign artist or promote it when they had the chance. They called us Back Packer and Beat Maker as derogatory terms. They were like, you still use turntables, break, and spray graffiti that's outdated.

So if you buy a s2400, make whatever you want and do what ever you feel like. Because some of these so called Hiphop Head in past who talked about keeping it real. Are now making and pushing the most pop candy coated music around. As a crate digga, I say take it all and use it all.

Put your middle finger in the air, chop up their wack records, and make something dope. Then sit back and laugh as they get butt hurt and NOC'D out. :lol: