Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Reack Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:53 pm
Hello all!

So my S3000xl has started to give me problems: I've got some distortion coming out of output number 2, while all other outputs works juste fine.

I tried using different cables, sending different samples on the faulty output but still got the problem. I got the audio out board out, desoldered the faulty jack input to be able to clean both really nicely, but that didn't change anything. I don't have recordings of the glitch, as the audio PCB is still unmounted, but will post some as soon as I can. But roughly, the distortion kinda sound like a ‘digital’ artefact, almost like some bit-crushing plus harsh resonance was applied to the sample.

I googled for a few hours but didn't find anything that could help. So is anyone here has a clue of what's going on, that would be really great!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also found that I can lower the volume of the output normally, but that the volume of the distortion stays the same.
By Reack Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:13 pm
So I plugged in the sampler again this morning and recorded the distortion happening on output 2, using just a 808 bass drum:

The first few seconds comes from output 1, then you can hear what comes out of output 2.

Does anybody has an idea of where to look at?

Thanks!
By Reack Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:28 am
terry towelling wrote:call it your signature sound and embrace it?

Hmmmmmmmmmm, no. 8)

The 8 outputs feature on the S3000XL is the main reason why I got it.

Just in case anybody has the same problem and stumble upon this thread, I'll share what I've found so far. The 8 outputs Akai board can still be found quite easily but the prices are absurd (I hate ebay), considering old Akai samplers with the same 8 outputs board can be found at a cheaper price.

After a lot of googling, I found (I think on mpc-forums actually) that the DAC chips (PCM69AP) could be the problem on the outputs board. There a four PCM69AP chips on the board, first one for the individual 1-2 outputs, second one for 3-4, and so on. These chips are not soldered to the board but fits in IC sockets, so you can just pull them out and replace them. So I swapped the first chip with the last one and it "shifted" the problem on output 8 (the problem was on output 2 at first), so I think I found the problem.

I'm still waiting for a new PCM69AP chip, which can be found for around 20$ on Ebay ( :roll: ), and I'll confirm or not that this is the solution as soon as I get it.
By babygrit Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:34 pm
Hi,
I'm experiencing the digital distortion on my Akai MPC 2000xl, so i went ahead and ordered 4 of the PCM69AP chips, but how do i go about replacing them? I have taken off the bottom panel and see the old ones on the board, but they aren't budging. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
By Reack Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:56 am
Hello,

Just google "remove IC from its socket" or something like that. Personally I use tweezers or a small flat screwdriver and carefully lever out the chip, one side at a time. The IC chips are quite firmly pushed into their sockets so it requires a little bit of force, just be careful not to damage the socket.
By railspike Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:32 pm
Oh man I’ve been searching everywhere for an answer to this. Output 2 on my 2000XL’s 8outs board has been doing the same thing. I’ll be ordering some of those chips. Thank you!!

Unrelated: I stumbled across this answer while searching for an answer to a completely different issue with my S2800 lol. Gotta love that google algorithm