Forum for all other samplers including Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Emu, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, Boss, Ensoniq... and even Beat Thang.
User avatar
By Ill-Green Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:13 am


Been hearing about this for a while. 1010 Music make touchscreen euroracks so this their entry into sampling/sequencing.

Its standalone and $599 in June. Name kinda ethical, should be green. :mrgreen:
User avatar
By mr_debauch Mon May 27, 2019 6:50 pm
they say 2 or 4 polyphony per pad depending on if it's a clip, a slicer, or sample... not sure why they mention the spec that way instead of global polyphony.... because it sounds really bad but you don't see them hitting that limitation in any demo video so.. not sure what happened there.

Interesting sampler, been looking at info on it for a while now... at the moment i don't see the point of it.
By vegeta897 Tue May 28, 2019 3:56 am
That polyphony spec tripped me up at first too but all 16 pads can be playing simultaneously, where-as each individual pad can have up to 4 instances of its sample playing on top of each other (so you can do 4 note chords with a single pad).

To me, the appeal of the device is its size and interface style - yes, I happen to like the idea of a multi-touch screen for scrubbing and zooming in the waveform editor. Its lack of limitations on sample sizes thanks to disk streaming is also attractive to me. Recording samples looks very easy and the overall workflow seems simple and fun. I also like that it's made by a very small company and the lead designer listens and personally responds to feature requests. I think having most of the interface on a screen makes it very flexible for adding features, from a UI/UX design perspective. I hate when a feature gets added to firmware and I have to remember some special button combination to use it.
By vegeta897 Tue May 28, 2019 11:31 pm
SILIS101 wrote:Vegetater
How long have you been working for 1010?

In case you aren't joking:

I've been excited about this device for the past few days so I've actively looked for discussions around the net to see what others think. I happened to decide to leave a comment here because I saw an opportunity to clarify a point that I myself was previously confused about, as well as give my 2 cents on what "the point of it" is, to me.

Not a great way to welcome a new member, but you do you.
User avatar
By Lampdog Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 am
For me BM3 > The Black Box.
While the Black Box IS interesting to see, I’m gonna pass.
User avatar
By Ill-Green Thu May 30, 2019 11:56 pm
I think its a great tool for those that need sampling in their setup. For its size and price, I can see these in synth and eurorack setups and wherever sampling is needed.

For pad-smashing boombap cats like me, it would probably be redundant. Its features are very reminiscent to an MPC/SP and Maschine so you'll be pretty much double dipping.

Other than that, its an interesting sampler and I hope to see those that push its limits.
User avatar
By Icepulse Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:55 pm
I’m a little surprised that this item isn’t being more intensely discussed here.

When I saw it, I knew I had to have one. I’ve not regretted it for a second.

I used it for a sample challenge, recently (a la “Rhythm Roulette”). I put up a YT vid showing a little of the process, followed by a mixdown. Please take a look.
User avatar
By Ill-Green Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 pm
Nice one Icepulse! Long time no see.

I knew someone had to have one here. The workflow and features are very reminiscent of the DJS-1000, which is why I haven't bought one yet but now I'm tempted by its portability, like a DJS-1000 to-go.

I'm pretty sure you can power up the Blackbox with the MPC Live via USB and then connect the audio cables for a portable sampling station. :smoker:

This should be well discussed but in this forum, MPCs are the end-all.
User avatar
By Icepulse Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:03 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Nice one Icepulse! Long time no see.

I knew someone had to have one here. The workflow and features are very reminiscent of the DJS-1000, which is why I haven't bought one yet but now I'm tempted by its portability, like a DJS-1000 to-go.

I'm pretty sure you can power up the Blackbox with the MPC Live via USB and then connect the audio cables for a portable sampling station. :smoker:

This should be well discussed but in this forum, MPCs are the end-all.


You can, but the Live is already a sampling station.. unless I miss your point. In fact, the BB pairs best w/ the OP-1, because it’s so small, and it picks up the slack for the OP’s biggest shortcomings; sample time and sequencing. I do the basics on the BB, then get my levels right, and line out to the OP for it’s delicious filters, EQ, compression and the tape tricks. It’s a beautiful combo.

Here’s a quick smattering of that process. All beats / sequences made on that BB, stereo into the OP.

User avatar
By Icepulse Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 pm
terry towelling wrote:i was sort of thinking of the black box as a replacement for the OP1.


If you have an OP, I wouldn’t sell it to finance this. Despite its limitations, the OP-1 is a keeper.

And like I say, it’s a beautiful companion for the Blackbox.
User avatar
By Ill-Green Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:58 am
Icepulse wrote:
terry towelling wrote:i was sort of thinking of the black box as a replacement for the OP1.


If you have an OP, I wouldn’t sell it to finance this. Despite its limitations, the OP-1 is a keeper.

And like I say, it’s a beautiful companion for the Blackbox.

Yeah and those 3 figure prices the OP-1 USED to be, now its $1400. Think about that when you regret selling it later :mrgreen:
User avatar
By Ill-Green Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:05 am
Icepulse wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:Nice one Icepulse! Long time no see.

I knew someone had to have one here. The workflow and features are very reminiscent of the DJS-1000, which is why I haven't bought one yet but now I'm tempted by its portability, like a DJS-1000 to-go.

I'm pretty sure you can power up the Blackbox with the MPC Live via USB and then connect the audio cables for a portable sampling station. :smoker:

This should be well discussed but in this forum, MPCs are the end-all.


You can, but the Live is already a sampling station.. unless I miss your point. In fact, the BB pairs best w/ the OP-1, because it’s so small, and it picks up the slack for the OP’s biggest shortcomings; sample time and sequencing. I do the basics on the BB, then get my levels right, and line out to the OP for it’s delicious filters, EQ, compression and the tape tricks. It’s a beautiful combo.

Here’s a quick smattering of that process. All beats / sequences made on that BB, stereo into the OP.


Well yeah, you get what I meant. But was thinking the BB had better effects than the MPC or ability to select sample frequencies.

That looks like a mighty fine combo. Should've gotten the OP when they were $799. They seem to be limited with supplies at TE nowadays.

Always dug your work, dope stuff. :smoker: